Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-25-2012, 08:59 PM   #31
cheezpoofs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Home birth mamas

Honestly, the "things" I wish I had were not so much "things" as they were "actions". Maybe half of the stuff in my birth kit didn't even get used. The things I would go back and know that I do care about now later are: get the pictures, even if they are pictures of laboring on the toilet (and for Dave's sake, don't forget the full DAY of laboring on the birth ball!) and turn on the music. I didn't need the focus redirection from it, but I do regret not having it on when my son was born.

Advertisement

Veann - Libertarian, atheist, bookworm, heavy metal Mommy to all boys: Lucius (2-13-09), Orion (4-22-11), and Castiel (3-4-13), wife to Matthew - Anti-circumcision, babywearing, somewhat AP, natural birthing/ homebirthing, don't care about being "green", doing things my own way...
cheezpoofs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #32
Comb Bender
Registered Users

I would want more meals in the freezer that can be popped in the oven. And I would have more helpers for at least two or three weeks postpartum. I was in denial about being in labor and had convinced myself I was going to be a week late, so I wish I had been a tad more organized for our home birth!
Comb Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:49 PM   #33
mamaratliff
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wish that my house was cleaner. I also wish that we didn't have so many visitors in the first 2 days. It was crazy with all the relatives that came over in the first 12 hrs even! I should have stayed in my bed. I started off exhausted, and it took a long time to get past that (maybe I'm still trying at 7 weeks pp?)
Old 07-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #34
3GirlieMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: YoliMama
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the other mamas... We had 3 homebirths and having prepared food, lots of pics, and a plan for who will be taking care of things the first few weeks. It is such a special bonding time between you and the baby- plus you will need/want plenty of rest!

Also, it was helpful for us to have someone there for your first LO in case they feel scared or need something- that was super helpful for us to have (although both DDs stayed to watch the birth if their sister. HTH!
Old 08-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #35
onkiekat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would have concentrated less on getting the supplies ready, and concentrated more on getting ready to deal with the pain. I would have actually practiced the pain relieving techniques I read about in Birthing From Within... My second labor was shorter than my first, but hurt a lot more...
onkiekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #36
cathplyr
Registered Users
seller

listen to the midwife when you are pushing so you dont tear! just relax and listen. have a mirror and olive oil nearby when it comes to that time too.
cathplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #37
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I really wish I had planned out the filming/photography thing more. I only got a few pics through the whole thing that the asst. midwife took. I really wish we'd filmed it and that I had gotten pictures of me in active labor and of the head/body coming out.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:54 PM   #38
blhuns01
Registered Users
seller

Transition gets worse! I thought transition was just a period of bad but consistent pain/contractions. Wrong. It got worse and I had no idea.

And I wish I would have made it clear that visits would be short and minimal. My ILs thought that since we were at home they could come over whenever and stay for a long time. They stayed 4 hours the day I gave birth. I gave birth at 4am after being awake for over 24 hours. I cried and cried and made DH make them leave....that could have been handled better.
blhuns01 is offline   Reply With Quote