Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
RealMommyLife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
EBF 7 month old getting constipated any time she eats solids

Aubrey will be 7 months old in 3 days. Since 6 months we have dabbled in some solids here and there. More for testing out to see if she was ready, but any time she does she gets constipated and fussy the next day! I feel bad, I'm so scared to continue cause it puts her in pain, but she is VERY interested in eating. She tries to snatch my food right out of my hand. We've done some BLW too and know she was eating cause she had chunks of carrots in her diaper. But even with puree's she gets belly aches. What can I do for her?

Advertisement

Old 08-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #2
Comet
Registered Users

Re: EBF 7 month old getting constipated any time she eats solids

Have you tried the less constipating solids? (e.g. Applesauce, prunes?) they might do better. Also she might have a food intolerance rather than constipation per se...
Comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

oatmeal is supposed to not be constipating, banana and prunes are good too.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:58 AM   #4
flmamao2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

prunes and pears are good...applesauce and bananna not so much they are binding. I had this problem with my son who is also 7 months tomorrow. We reciently started him on yogurt every day and that has helped a million times over. For us it seemed his gut needed some good bacteria, it helped and we havnt had a problem in about 2 weeks now, where as before he was requiring glycerin suppositories to have a BM. I like the gerber fruit blends yogurt, the baby loves them too
Old 08-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
Aedan'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

I found with my son that a mixture of half apple juice and half water did the trick every time.
Aedan'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
This might be tmi but is she actually constipated like having rock solid poop, or just not going, fussy, etc?
I only ask bc DD was "constipated" I thought around the same time. I blamed it on dairy. She would get pretty uncomfortable and we had to break out the baby enemas twice... Oh I wouldnt wish that on anyone!
After the fact - like 1 year later - it occurred to me that her poop was not truly constipated - i think it was juuuust slightly thicker/firmer and she had no clue how to get it out!
P fruits - peaches pears plums aPricots - are good for moving things along. Anything to avoid the enemas, seriously!!!
Old 08-19-2012, 12:25 PM   #7
LuvtheBeach
Registered Users
seller
seller

How funny! My DD is named Aubrey too and she is almost 6 months. We had the same problem. I would give her solids for a few days and then stop for a few days if she got backed up. It seemed to help. She seems to be doing better. I think she had to learn that she needed to work at pushing it out, lol.
LuvtheBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:05 AM   #8
je_friend
Registered Users

I have the world's most constipated baby! Same situation: EBF was fine, but solids, oh boy. We make sure to give him a little mushy prune, or I've found that mixing a little oat bran (like a half-teaspoon) into something every day keeps it moving.

The diet for... ah, things that are moving too fast... is "bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast" so avoid those, and things that are all-starch. Oatmeal is okay b/c pretty high in fiber.
je_friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #9
iheartua07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aedan'sMommy View Post
I found with my son that a mixture of half apple juice and half water did the trick every time.
This plus I give prunes every other day or so. His poops have just started to get less hard. It took about 2 months for him to get used to solids and not be really constipated.
iheartua07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:40 PM   #10
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had the same problem, he is sort of on a schedule of pooping a horrific traumatizing (for me) poop every 3 or 4 days now. A couple days ago he pooped 5 times in 24 hours though so I must have fed him something that cleared him out. I think he ate a lot of fresh peaches that day.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote