Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-17-2012, 03:28 PM   #11
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Alright...I need a progress thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFPMommy6709 View Post
I don't store away out of season clothing, so the clothes in our closet are special occasion clothes (I have two semi-formal dresses, my wedding dress, and DHs suits) and winter clothing. DH uses the clothes hanging frequently, but he has a TON of dress shirts. The ones in the closet are the ones he wears on weekends, which is why they are clean. The stuff we don't use doesn't get washes. =\

I am adding a pic of the diaper changing and vanity area to the original post. I cleaned that up today.
Ahh then that doesn't work. Could you put some of the winter stuff in storage bins? Then you'd have more hanging room to work with. One sweater could easily equal 2 or 3 shirts or blouses in bulkiness.

Advertisement

SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #12
NFPMommy6709
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth.scalf

Ahh then that doesn't work. Could you put some of the winter stuff in storage bins? Then you'd have more hanging room to work with. One sweater could easily equal 2 or 3 shirts or blouses in bulkiness.
Yeah, Ai do need to do that. I don't not store them because I don't want to, but because I don't have any bins that will fit on the shelf to store them in! Lol

Has anyone tried the space bags? Are they worth the price? I had some knock off ones, but they ripped due to the fact that my cat LOVES bags. Lol
Old 08-18-2012, 09:22 PM   #13
clothlover8
Registered Users

My Mood:

Definately clothing is the big issue, without the clothes piles it's pretty tidy. I store our off season clothes in old qult/doona bags - they are clear with zips and sometimes handles so are easy to carry, see what's in them and they squish into little areas so that makes them better than plastic tubs sometimes (the tubs can take up a lot more room). Not sure about the US (I'm in Australia) but in our cheap shops (think you guys call them dollar stores?) hehe they sell similar bags for about $2 each.
I put all off season/too big/too small clothes in those and even under the bed makes a good place for them.
I haven't tried space bags because they are expensive here and I've heard they dont always last well.
I have cut all our clothes down to the bare minimum and agree with pp if the washing is going to be a hurdle I wouldnt worry about washing them unless they are really stained and grotty. Just donate them to get rid of them. Most people wash clothes they buy from op shops etc anyway.
Have a few hampers for dirty washing to collect in before washing and a different are to put them once clean. I dont always fold my clean washing honestly - sometimes I just group them (all of dd's together, all of dh's together etc) then chuck them straight in the drawers, at least that way they are put clean and put away and no-one can tell the aren't perfectly folded in the drawers. lol
But in the end the less clothing you have, the less you have to deal with so purge as much as you can. Goodluck
The changing table looks great!! Well done
clothlover8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:54 PM   #14
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Changing table looks great! Any progress on your laundry mountain

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:24 AM   #15
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

I know Walamrt has a few different brands of the 'space bags' and they do work. It may be overkill but if you find a storage bin size that works on your shelf, you can pick up the vacuum-bags and stack them in the storage bin so that cat doens't get them.

Also, looking at the picture of your closet, seems like you have your rod kinda right in the middle - there's a little storage under the clothes and a little storage above the shelf. It'll be a small project, but you could consider moving the rod up or down. If you move it down, make sure to measure so that most shirts/pants fit and have one 2-3' section tall for hanging dresses and suits. If you move it up then leave a little room between shelf and ceiling for shoebox size, shoes/purses, extra ties. Then you have 3-4 feet underneath the clothes for storage bins. That's my next project - repositioning my closet rod.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:00 AM   #16
NFPMommy6709
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth.scalf
I know Walamrt has a few different brands of the 'space bags' and they do work. It may be overkill but if you find a storage bin size that works on your shelf, you can pick up the vacuum-bags and stack them in the storage bin so that cat doens't get them.

Also, looking at the picture of your closet, seems like you have your rod kinda right in the middle - there's a little storage under the clothes and a little storage above the shelf. It'll be a small project, but you could consider moving the rod up or down. If you move it down, make sure to measure so that most shirts/pants fit and have one 2-3' section tall for hanging dresses and suits. If you move it up then leave a little room between shelf and ceiling for shoebox size, shoes/purses, extra ties. Then you have 3-4 feet underneath the clothes for storage bins. That's my next project - repositioning my closet rod.
The "rod" is actually part of the shelf and is up as high as the shelf is. Im considering putting away the pack and play and moving our dresser to the main bedroom.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:01 AM   #17
NFPMommy6709
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionably Green Baby
Changing table looks great! Any progress on your laundry mountain
No, no progress there. That is the goal for this week. We had a pretty crazy weekend so I only got diapers plus one regular load done.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:34 AM   #18
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:

Any progress OP?

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #19
NFPMommy6709
Registered Users
seller

Alright, so I am still in the process of doing laundry, but we rearranged a few things this weekend and I'm really pleased with how it looks. posting pic to original post.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1725711774.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	118499

We moved the broken trunk that houses all of our books to the closet and moved the dresser out here. That way clothes get put INTO the dresser since its no longer a whole room away. Lol I also finally was able to go get our old decpr from storage to put up. Even though we are moving in a month and a half, it feels nice to have something on the wall.

Last edited by NFPMommy6709; 09-04-2012 at 11:04 AM.
NFPMommy6709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #20
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

WTG! It looks so much better!