Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-31-2012, 10:06 PM   #11
myall4him2
Loving Touch Wet Bags
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Home or hospital for VBAC? I thought my mind was made up, but I don't know now.

Hey girl!

My advice is short and simple, pray about it. The Lord has a perfect plan you guys and He knows the situations ahead of time. If you feel a peace about the hospital, go with it or vice versa. He'll let you know!

Advertisement

myall4him2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #12
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Home or hospital for VBAC? I thought my mind was made up, but I don't know now.

If you're feeling a peace about the hospital, I would go with that. There may be a good reason why you're feeling that way, kwim?
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #13
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would think that the situation would be the same if the anesthesiologists aren't on staff if you were transferring from a homebirth or in the hospital? Either way they'd have to come in, I mean.

Anyway, I agree with the others- you have to do what makes you feel SAFE. That is the first step to a good birth. If you feel safer with the hospital and feel that you have an OB that will respect your wishes, why not birth in the hospital?
I've had both experiences, hospital and home, and although I loved my homebirth, I understand the desire, especially given your last experience, of having a bigger "safety net". You're informed enough to know what's going on with your care and to make your wishes known; that is one of the most important things, I think.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #14
kwilkes
Registered Users
seller

You will definitely have a higher chance of repeat cesarean at the hospital BUT if you are not 100% comfortable with birthing at home then I don't recommend doing it. You need to have a clear and confident mind so you can have a peaceful birth experience. Any little fear in the back of your mind can keep you from progressing well. Follow your instincts!
kwilkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #15
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96
I just called L&D at our local hospital. They do not have anesthesiologists in the building 24/7. My two full-term births have been in the middle of the night, so I think I might have just answered my question. Even though _I_ only live 5 minutes away, it's not likely that the doctors live that close.
Which direction does this make you lean toward?
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #16
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96
I just called L&D at our local hospital. They do not have anesthesiologists in the building 24/7. My two full-term births have been in the middle of the night, so I think I might have just answered my question. Even though _I_ only live 5 minutes away, it's not likely that the doctors live that close.
FWIW, I would think this would add time to a homebirth transfer situation. Is that what you meant?
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:25 PM   #17
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon View Post
FWIW, I would think this would add time to a homebirth transfer situation. Is that what you meant?
Yes, that's what I meant, and it's making me lean more towards the hospital.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #18
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

I started to question myself around 35 weeks when I seen an ob for back up care. When I went to my next appointment with my midwife I knew I was making the right decision birthing at home. In the end I was so glad I stayed with my midwife. My water broke without the onset of labor. If I would have been under ob care I would have had a repeat csection. Instead I was able to wait and see if it started. I used castor oil to get things going after 48 hours.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:08 PM   #19
mommyria2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I say it depends on the hospital and your hcp. I had a wonderful hospital vbac with a midwife. Others aren't so lucky. Ultimately it comes down what you are most comfortable with. I totally get wanting some alone time with the newb
Old 09-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #20
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I talked to the doctor today, and we're still leaning towards the hospital after our discussion with her. DH is still a little nervous that he will be too far away from me when I go into labor and I'm going to have the baby without him. At most, he would be two hours away from me, and my shortest labor so far was still a good eight hours of "real" labor (and some piddly contractions before that, like an hour apart).

In an emergency c-section, I would have to be put under (since I'm not having an epidural), and DH would not be able to be with me in the OR, but would be able to be right outside and accompany the baby. The doctor said that what usually happens is that the mom and baby end up in the recovery room at the same time, so there would be minimal separation. I think one of my biggest fears was not being able to have my baby when I wake up from the surgery, so that put my mind to rest about that.

I can have oral fluids (I don't plan on eating since my body disagreed with me when I tried to do that in past labors). She mentioned "ice chips and popsicles" but I plan on having some Recharge, too. I am going to go ahead and get a heplock, but have it in my arm instead of my hand, so it doesn't hinder my movement as much as if I had a big tube taped to my wrist. I would have skipped that, but it's difficult to get an IV started on me (I apparently have valvey veins), so I want to have a port available so they're not fumbling around for one if an emergency happens.

The crazy blood pressure cuff will be on me, but I plan on having it at as low a frequency as I can, and switching it from arm to arm depending on how I'm laying, maybe even having it on my leg sometimes (2.5 weeks of hospital bedrest taught me that there are options even while I'm still being "compliant").

The fetal monitoring will happen, too, but doesn't need to be constant until I'm in active labor (which I'm okay with). I asked her what would determine "active labor," and she said dilation to 4 or 5 (which is what I thought she'd say). I asked her what would determine active labor if I don't want a cervical check, and she said, "Well, if we can't confirm that you're not 4-5, then you're not in active labor," and winked at me, lol.

I didn't want to be jumped to a c-section at the first sign of trouble, and she assured me that they don't want to do that either, and would look for things like a pattern of a falling heart rate and not just mild, isolated drops.

But... all this would be a moot point if I don't even check into L&D. I could labor in the waiting room until closer to "go" time, right? lol. We'll have a doula this time (a mom who herself has had a VBAC) so she'll be helpful in figuring out when that time is.

With regard to the baby, if the birth is vaginal and baby is pink and crying, baby doesn't need to leave my arms at all. Delaying cord clamping until the cord stops pulsing is fine (I'll have to write it in my birth plan though just so all the staff is aware). Declining the vaccines and eye drops is possible, but I just have to get a note from the pediatrician for my file (which I'm pretty sure won't be a problem, we love love love our pedi) since the baby would be her patient and not my OB's.

Haven't met with the midwife yet since she had to cancel our meeting for today, and we're having trouble scheduling again when DH is off, so she'll call me later. But if we had to decide right now, I would feel totally comfortable with going to the hospital.