Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-06-2012, 03:36 AM   #11
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Christmas help

I agree with what a couple other people saying about it taking a few years to get people to understand. We are just now getting there and it's been an insanely frustrating battle. I'm still nervous about christmas, lol.

I would just be really honest about your expectations and the consequence if they go over board (like things being returned/going un-opened, etc) and then stick to your guns. I know it's hard, it really is, especially when they're not trying to be mean/rude/whatever. What it comes down to for me is they are my kids and I should get to make the ultimate decision regarding any area of their life, and that includes gifts.

(P.S. One thing we do is donate to the local children's hospital. They love to have new unopened things for the kids there and it lessens my guilt and makes it fun for my ODD)

Good luck!

Advertisement

ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #12
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
I am so glad to find this thread. I am drafting an email to my parents (and mil though she is not the problem) addressing the issue of massive over-gifting. It is very, very bad. I'm talking upwards of $1000 spent on each child and TONS of things they've never asked for, played with, don't need or that are poor quality that break that afternoon. Never mind the fact that I don't have a spare bedroom to store all these things in and that it sends a horrible message to the children.

It's a major problem and I want to address it. But I know my mom will be so angry and that scares me.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:34 AM   #13
chloecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Christmas help

we are working on a very limited budget this year and i'm going to be asking the grandparents to pay for the kids "activities" this year instead of gifts. the girls are in gymnastics which is $90 a month and my son plays football and basketball which is $150 or so each. so i'm asking them to either pay the organization or give the kids cash/gift card to pay for their stuff. hopefully they listen

we have a large family and the only set of grandkids. needless to say they get very spoiled at christmas and birthdays. the last few years we've needed a truck to haul home gifts after 3 different christmas celebrations. my living room looked like toysrus last year