Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #1
prettyduck0324
Registered Users

How to start minimizing amount of stuff?

Any advice?? Thank you!

Advertisement

prettyduck0324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:36 PM   #2
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: How to start minimizing amount of stuff?

We started with stuff we didn't use ( toys, kitchen stuff, clothes).
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:45 PM   #3
lyndie
Registered Users
seller
seller

A neat trick I read & want to try - turn every hanger in your closet backwards on the rod. As you wear clothing items, hang them back up the proper way. One year later, or at the end of the season, get rid of anything on a hanger that has not been turned (that hasn't been worn in a year's time or within it's season).

Sent via iPhone using DS Forum
Old 09-06-2012, 06:45 AM   #4
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Honestly, you just have to do it. Pick a starting point and go.

Perhaps start with a room or area that either needs it the most, or that will give the fastest results (like a bathroom or closet). Get rid of stuff that is a no-brainer... broken, doesn't get used, clothes that don't fit or have stains or tears or just don't get worn, toys that don't get played with or are missing pieces or broken, etc. Just ask yourself what really gets used, what you really love.

I found decluttering happened in layers. I'd tackle one room and get rid of a bunch, only to tackle the same room a month or two later and realize that I'd become a lot pickier about what I wanted to keep and could still get rid of a bunch of stuff that I thought was worth saving before... it really does get easier as you go.

You can also join some of the decluttering challenges in this subforum. There is a Mini Minimalist Challenge that is small and easy to do. There's also the 40 day plan which gives you a good overview of areas of your house to tackle (even if you just download the list and do it at your own pace).

Good luck! I'd also recommend just reading some of the threads here to see how others are doing, it helps and it can be very motivating. If you're struggling with a particular area, you may want to post photos and others can help you.

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:05 AM   #5
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
I started with toys. They were a huge problem so I tackled them first. You just have to pick a room and jump in feet first. It is a process and it has been never ending or me.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:45 AM   #6
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

^ It really never ends! But it gets more manageable if you can do a big purge, then just try to keep up with it and do regular smaller purges. Kids clothes and toys are the worst, though, constantly outgrowing things...

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:11 AM   #7
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

I totally agree with the PP that said it happens in layers. I would personally start focusing on the kids stuff. Get rid of useless toys, happy meal toys, not-age-approprate, duplicates,broken, annoying ones. Clean up the playroom. Take all the toys with little pieces and store them out of reach so they don't get strewn around the house. Anything you're not sure about just toss in a bin and lock in a closet, you can go thrugh it later or save to 'rotate' toys. I found that once toys were picked up and a little more contained, I could see the rest of the house for what it was rather than having to pick up toys from every.single.room.constantly. You'll be surprised that the kids will play more with the playroom cleaned up, and you wn't have to do damage control as often - which leaves you with more time to clean up other rooms while they're playing!
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #8
smores
Registered Users

I do it a little at a time where I can. I did the living room first - it's amazing, when you put everything back where it goes into other rooms and then get rid of all the ridiculous stuff collected (old magazines, papers, DVDs no one watches or likes, game system stuff) and get one organized place for it, our living room felt like a whole new room!

i blog here
smores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #9
dancnfool
Registered Users
seller

The layer thing is an interesting concept and I'm looking around and thinking its true. Its the stuff sitting on top of the stuff that belongs here that I need to address. My biggest issue is paper. I keep saying I'm going to spend a little time each day on that. I can't give much good advice b/c I'm having trouble tackling it myself. But want to wish you good luck!
dancnfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #10
TypeAMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Di**ae
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordbox View Post
I found decluttering happened in layers. I'd tackle one room and get rid of a bunch, only to tackle the same room a month or two later and realize that I'd become a lot pickier about what I wanted to keep and could still get rid of a bunch of stuff that I thought was worth saving before... it really does get easier as you go.
I agree. I started with low hanging fruit. Went for the biggest and easiest to decide to get rid of stuff. That gave me motivation and I went from there. I'm totally new at this, but it really is therapeutic to rid yourself of so much useless stuff.
Slave to my
TypeAMom is offline   Reply With Quote