Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-06-2012, 06:50 AM   #1
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Should I get a double stroller?

I am a minimalist who lives in the country...So we do not go on walks and I never go shopping at the mall (LOL, there is no mall to go to anyway ). We have an awesome compact stroller that fits neatly in our trunk that we use probably once a month.

I once had a giant travel system stroller that was so big that I never kept it in the car, and every time we needed it we had forgotten it at home. So it went to Goodwill. I also have a little umbrella stroller I am not crazy about because tiny babies can't use it. I love love love my current stroller and it was only $20!

I have toyed around with the idea of getting a double stroller since I was pregnant with baby #2 and just never did it. We have had instances where it would be handy a couple of times, but not more than a few times a year. We plan on at least 1 more baby.

We are going to visit grandparents in another state next week. We will be navigating 2 airports each way with a 5-year-old, 3-year-old, and infant. We visit these grandparents once every 2 years. In past trips, it seemd the 2/3-year-old at that time needed a stroller just as much as the baby. I have an Ergo carrier that I could use, but my kids all seem to hate being worn no matter what carrier I try. I don't want to drag it there AGAIN just to take up space in the diaper bag.

I found a Joovy Caboose Ultralight stroller that could ship today and arrive in time for the trip. But I just don't know. We are very rural. If we get it and it turns out to be too huge or whatever, Returning it would be a huge pain. So would selling on craigslist--there is no local craigslist here.

Would it be worth having to use only 2-3 times a year? Money is not an issue, it's just having more STUFF that bothers me.

Thoughts?

Advertisement

Last edited by Melinda29; 09-06-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Melinda29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:18 AM   #2
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Should I get a double stroller?

Do the grandparents know anyone that would have a double/sit stand stroller you could borrow if needed while visiting.

I know I have lent a stroller or other baby item to a co-worker or a family from church that had visiting relatives in town.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerissa View Post
Do the grandparents know anyone that would have a double/sit stand stroller you could borrow if needed while visiting.

I know I have lent a stroller or other baby item to a co-worker or a family from church that had visiting relatives in town.
I am thinking more for the airport, than the actual visit. I don't know that we will be doing a ton of walking on the visit.
Melinda29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Are you going alone?? If so... Then yes! I got a double for flying alone with my 1 & 3 year old. I also have my beco & the baby doesn't mind vein worn (in fact he's sleeping on my back right now after a little "fight") but I would not have had much hope for wrangling my big carry on & wandering preschooler in a packed airport when we always have to walk to the farthest end of the terminal.
If hubby is going with then one can hold the baby, & one the next youngest.
I do make it a point to use our stroller for walks a few times a week though & it came in handy on a theme park trip.
E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

If you are going with someone maybe you could take your compact stroller and the umbrella? I probably wouldn't buy a stroller to use just a couple times a year, but only you can decide how important those couple of times are to you. Also, maybe you could get a kickboard thing for the stroller you already have? That way it would take up less room but your older one would still have a place to take a break.

ETA: We also live in the country, but we have a jogging stroller so it can handle it. You probably wouldn't want a double jogging stroller in an airport, but if you are going to get the stroller you might look into getting one that could handle your terrain so you could use it more often. We love walks!

Last edited by jen_batten; 09-06-2012 at 12:23 PM.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't just for that use. I had 3 under 4 and can rarely used my double stroller even with daily walks.

The youngest always gets worn in a pouch sling or wrap that fold up and take very little room in the diaper bag. Sometimes my middle child would ride in the stroller sometimes we all just walked and I hold both of their hands. I go lots of places alone with all 3 and the double stroller is mote of a pain than it's worth for me personally.

The only time I really liked it was with my first 2 (13 months apart) with one newly walking and one infant sometimes it was helpful to be totally hands free.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #7
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

We just flew and had to navigate two airports there, two back. Our kids were at the time 5, 3, and 16 mos. We had the 5 and 3 yr old walk and pushed the baby the umbrella stroller.

Rule was the older kids HAD TO BE HOLDING an adult - hold a pocket, hold a suitcase, hold onto the stroller, hold a hand, etc - whenever we walked anywhere.

We had a great time and no one got lost or injured in the hub-bub. It was stressful sometimes, but not so bad that I'd have bought a double stroller for it. Once we got through check in/security, we just went straight to our gate and then from there if we were hungry/thirsty/needed the potty, we ventured off to get whatever we needed.

HOWEVER, we had 4 adults on that trip (though we've made the same trip, with the little ones and just myself and DH, too..... w/no double stroller... so it CAN be done). I think even if I were going it alone, though, I'd just pack uber light and I would still not get a double stroller, but I would be prepared to need coffee in the morning, and a glass of wine when I got wherever I was going! lol
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote