Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #61
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: whats with all the kids running around with no parental supervision?

Every place is different, every situation is different. I for one would not leave my kids unsupervised. But i live in a big city, in the suburbs, and I don't know most of my neighbors. And we're on a busy street. So there is no way my 4yo and 2yo will be running around alone. However I am not a hover parent, I pretty much leave them to their own devices a lot of the time, while still supervising. I don't stand over them and help them to do things all the time is what I mean. I make sure the front gate is locked and I let them play in the front yard while I am upstairs sometimes. I check out the window every few minutes to make sure everything is ok. My 4yo is very responsible for her age and also minds when I tell her to please keep an eye on her sister and to let me know if there is a problem. Now I have met other 4yos who there is no way I would do that with, it really depends on the personality of the child. However I wouldn't let my kids run around in a public area eg. church grounds with no adult supervision and without knowing where they are. Maybe once they hit 5 or 6, but not a baby or toddler for sure. There are too many things that could potentially happen.

Advertisement

Old 09-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #62
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooMamaTo3 View Post
There are so many different comfort levels when it comes to what we let our children do. Personally, I let my 4 year old play on our street (cul-de-sac) with the neighborhood kids ( including older DD, 7) without my direct supervision. And usually I am the one telling them to stay outside b/c they are running in and out "checking in" more than I feel they need to. But, the thought of letting my 4 year old near an oven that is on terrifies me, like on 100 different levels! I don't think you are a bad parent for that, just different. Another example is my neighbor, who is like a hawk on her toddler when playing on a playset, yet is so completely lax on carseat usage that it makes me cringe. For the life of me I can't figure out how the playset is, in her mind, so much more dangerous than her giant SUV going 70 mph on the interstate, but it is. I voiced my concern about that once, but then I have to let it go, it's not my kid.

So much of our comfort levels tend to be from what we have been exposed to. I don't know, even by extension, anyone who ever had a missing child, so things like that don't really cross my mind a lot when I send my kids out to play. I DO however, know a child that lost part of his hand to a terrible burn, and is the main reason why I don't let my kids near the stove/oven/grill, campfire, etc.
When i was a kid i was allowed to go on my own to friends homes several blocks away starting at about 8. The deal was that i tell my mom where i was going, call her when i arrived, and stayed on that persons property. If i wanted to go anywhere else i had to call home. When i wanted to head home i had to call so she would know i was on my way. A failure to call or stay where i was supposed to resulted in me not being able to go beyond our yard for a week. That imo, is reasonable. Your allowibg your child to go unsupervised, but their are boundries.

I also suffered 3rd degree burns to 80% of my left leg at age 2.5. I had several skin grafts, and i still allow my 4 year old to cook. I am in the room, but i dont offer help unless she asks or is beibg danferous.

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:48 PM   #63
darci
Registered Users
seller

A lot of kids live down the street from us, lots of different ages. It still surprises me how they are allowed to roam, play in the street, whatever. When I drive by there are often older kids or adults playing basketball and they give me dirty looks for interrupting their game as if they weren't in the road and I drove across their yard. I never see an adult with the younger ones. I think the playing in the street is reason enough to keep my DD from playing with their kids.
darci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:40 AM   #64
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My 7 yr old is allowed to go down and across the street to her friends houses ( only 2 ) she stays as close to or walks on the edge of lawns no sidewalks in neighborhood has to ask before going and has to be home by 6 school nights and 7:30 otherwise. We live in a semi quiet neighborhood.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:46 AM   #65
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Mommy wars oh mommy wars good oh mommy wars I am a better parent than you wars!