Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-07-2012, 05:38 AM   #1
aflyingbuttress
Registered Users
seller
seller

Growing sprouts at home

I am really interested in trying to grow sprouts at home. I have read a few blogs about it and it seems so easy. Just put in a jar, soak, then rinse every 8-10 hours for a few days, eat! We buy sprouts constantly and this seems like a great way to save money.

I am wondering how much grows in that span of time and what quantity of sprout seeds do I need to buy? I'd like to have enough going in a cycle to have a sprout salad with my DH two to three times a week. That would probably be 2 cups each per salad, so 12 cups of sprouts grown each week.

I can get a 1 lb container from Azure Standard for $11.40, or go with a smaller container that is 0.3 lb. for $4.75. Obviously, the 1 lb. is a better deal. Any idea how long that will last and how long it will stay fresh for?

Advertisement

aflyingbuttress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Re: Growing sprouts at home

We buy our sprouts & store them in the fridge or freezer. Just take out as we need them. We use large canning jars with a special lid made for sprouting & screws right onto the jar. It's just how you said - soak them & then keep the jar near light (we put by the window here) & rinse. I would suggest doing it more than every 8-10 hours. I do it a few times a day. If you don't stay on top of rinsing, they will go bad fast (& stink). We usually end up with more than we can eat but it saves a TON of $ doing it yourself. And there's lots of different sprouts, so we vary them... alfalfa, brocoli, etc.

GL!
Old 09-07-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
Sarah
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Growing sprouts at home

I sprout constantly for our parrots and ourselves. I guess it depends on what kind of sprouts you like,but I buy my grains and seeds in bulk from a natural food store and make my own mix. I keep the seeds in the freezer until I'm ready to sprout that batch.

I have tried lots of different sprouters from expensive automatic sprouters to hats with as mesh covers. My very favorite sprouted is a cone shaped(with a flat bottom)reusable coffee filter. The mesh is super fine so even the tiny amaranth seeds can't get through,its cheap,and cleans up quickly and well
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #4
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Yep it is super easy! I do alfalfa for dh and I use a wide mouth mason jar wig a sprouting lid from frontier and I get my seeds from frontier as well

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is offline   Reply With Quote