Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #11
chandlrb
Registered Users
seller

Re: If you had a hospital VBAC, what did they "make" you do at the hospital?

Sorry double posted

Advertisement

Last edited by chandlrb; 09-07-2012 at 11:05 AM.
chandlrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #12
chandlrb
Registered Users
seller

I just had a hospital VBAC. We were 45 minutes away so when I knew I was in labor we got a hotel room 5 minutes from the hospital and labored there until I knew I had been in active labor for a while. We arrived in L & D as I was nearing transition and I truly feel that made all the difference. I was there less than two hours before baby arrived.

I had a heplock, no fluids. EFM was required but the nurses were so helpful. I moved how I wanted to and they moved the monitor if they needed to. I had a nurse midwife caring for me and she was very supportive of natural birth. The OB overseeing wanted me to have the epidural and wanted to do the actual delivery. I did refuse these two things. In the end it was a great experience. Would do it again!

Stay away from the hospital as long as possible. At one point my labor stalled prior to kicking into high gear. If I had been in the hospital already I would have been fighting to avoid intervention.
chandlrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #13
Mama2McKenna
Registered Users

I had a heplock, and intermittent monitoring. Everything else was my choice. If I could do it again, I would not have had the monitoring. I suggest you read the book "Pushed", it's extremely informative. I wish I had read it before my VBAC

Cloth diapers - All styles and sizes!
http://hyenacart.com/stores/LookinSharpeCreations/
Mama2McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:51 PM   #14
bumminbeachbabe
Registered Users
seller
seller

At the hospital I delivered at constant external fetal monitoring was required. They also preferred that I have a heplock because I was gbs+. Hospital policy was that I have a nurse with me constantly. If my nurse needed to use the restroom then they'd bring another nurse in.

I was fortunate that the monitors they used were ones that could be used while in the tub. I was able to walk as much as I wanted (until my epi was placed) and I was still able to try different positions for pushing.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:27 AM   #15
shan1212
Registered Users
seller

I was a patient of the midwives at the large university medical center, and the only thing required was fetal monitoring, but I could move as desired, get in the tub, etc. I don't recall having a heplock; when I asked for an epidural they started the line for fluids then. It's all a bit fuzzy now - that's what happens when you arrive at the hospital in transition!

I switched providers at 37 weeks and I'm so glad I did. The OB on call when I delivered even lied to me to keep my morale up. There had been a few decels and my midwife was worried (unbeknownst to me). The OB said, OK, if things don't improve, we'll move to the OR where we can do a trial of forceps before a c/s if you'd like, BUT you are pushing beautifully and I'm positive you are going to have this baby without a doctor in the room.

The midwife told me later that, actually, the OB wasn't comfortable using forceps with a VBAC patient and it would have been straight to a c/s, but I'm so glad the OB understood the mental aspect of L&D and didn't discourage me by scaring me with the threat of a c/s. And indeed, my baby was born without a doctor in the room. I'm positive I would have had a repeat c/s with my old OB.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #16
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Mine was not typical as I had to be induced for pre-e, but had it not been an induction the only thing would have been required was monitoring. They prefer continuous external monitoring, but would consent to me doing intermittant monitoring if I was laboring in the tub and it had a long lead so I could wander around etc. A heplock would not have been required for a VBAC, but I was GBS positive, so I had to have an IV for ABX. The epi was also not required, and I was fighting them on the nothing to eat, but that's a hospital policy, not something specific for VBAC mamas. My nurse just pretended she couldn't see my pizza I had for supper. They'd let me have fluids, I sipped ginger ale through most of the labor, and then promptly threw it all back up in transition.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:56 PM   #17
mamamarick
Registered Users

Someone else had mentioned "make sure you have someone other than DH in the room with you to make medical decisions as they will be less likely to give into pressure". I couldn't agree with this more. I was so lucky to have my mom, an ex-RN, with me during my first delivery who was willing to yell at the nurses to fight for what I had said I wanted in my birth plan. My husband was absolutely pointless for the three bloody days before I finally submitted to a C-section. This time, dear DH can be on toddler watch while mom takes over my care for a hopeful VBAC. I know she'll be able to advocate best for me.
My best friend had a similar experience during her first delivery. With no family in the area, she's hiring a doula. Point being: do whatever you need to do to get yourself a strong advocate in the delivery room. It'll ensure that you have the least amount of interventions possible.
mamamarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #18
Germy
Registered Users
seller

I wasn't able to decline/postpone anything with my VBAC.

I had to have an IV because I had GBS and needed the antibiotics throughout laboring. I wanted to delay cord clamping/cutting and have him on my chest as soon as he was born but neither of those two things happened because I got chorioamnionitis so they needed to get him out and off to check him asap. I got to see him for a couple of seconds before he was taken to the NICU.
Germy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #19
mommyria2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My hosp vbac was great. I had a heplock - but it wasn't required. I was however required to have CFM but it was wireless and I could move around as much as I wanted, mostly I hung out in the tub. The monitors weren't as annoying as I expected them to be. The contraction monitor pretty much never worked but they didn't fuss with it since it was obvious that i was having contractions and the nurse only messed with the heartrate monitor while I was pushing and by then I was in the zone and couldn't care less. The nurse and the cnm pretty much let me be and didn't try to direct pushing at all.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #20
jessannmurphy
Registered Users

I have had two v-bacs and I have had to have epid's. The issue with us was that I am a very small person. Like I wear kids clothes and shoes and my husband is not. So the biggest baby I can birth is a 8lb. Both my v-bacs were also 39 week inductions. They don't let me go further because of size. So, I get everything. I like the monitoring because it is what saved my first's life. Now, both my v-back kids were stuck and they had to use suction to get them out. I pushed straight for 2.5 hours with the first he was my biggest at 7lb 5oz. I pushed for 1.5 with the second and he was 6lb 13oz. I am so greatful to have a Dr who works with me. Most would just say, you need another c-section and that would be the end of it. I think the most important thing is to have a Dr you love. Not that they are just ok, but that you love!!!

Last edited by jessannmurphy; 09-19-2012 at 12:52 PM.
jessannmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote