Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Lichen Sclerosus ... anyone else?

I've had persistent genital itching for a year... it flares up and quiets down - I've been treated for persistent yeast infections (even though no discharge).... I've been treated for low estrogen that seemed to be cyclic. I thought getting pregnant would take care of the low estrogen issue since estrogen rises during pregnancy. Here I sit at 11 weeks pregnant though with continued cyclic bouts of terrible itching, thin skin that tears with barely any touch (ie: wiping).

Well, after talking with the midwife today and then doing LOTS of reading tonight online, I think I have a new diagnosis...
Lichen Sclerosis

Doesn't that sound like fun?

When I was at my appt today, she said call to set up an appointment with the next flare up - but then tonight I was piecing together information and this is what it adds up to. I even have a fairly large whitish patch of skin down there that make sense with this. So, Monday I'm going to call and tell them this is what I think it is and see if they agree.

Not sure what can be done for it during pregnancy and I've found nothing online that gives any insight.

Any mamas been there done that? It seems like a rare thing so not much information about what to do with it during pregnancy. Typical treatment seems to be heavy duty steroid creams (which thins the skin) along with estrogen cream (to thicken the skin) ...both of which can't be used during pregnancy.

And don't get me started on the thoughts of what this means for a hopeful vaginal/natural birth.

~sigh~

Advertisement

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #2
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Honestly, as long as there is no danger to baby.(im assuming no) if at all possible I probably would try not to get a diagnosis from a midwife/dr until after birth so it doesn't become a reason they won't let you have the birth you want

Sent from my droid
Old 09-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Lichen Sclerosus ... anyone else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulamomma View Post
Honestly, as long as there is no danger to baby.(im assuming no) if at all possible I probably would try not to get a diagnosis from a midwife/dr until after birth so it doesn't become a reason they won't let you have the birth you want

Sent from my droid
No, there is no danger to baby.

My concern I guess is that since this process "feeds off" of scar tissue and gets worse with more scar tissue and the tissues are already so thin/tearing - what does that mean for the tearing that'll happen when I push out a 9 pound baby. I don't know as it'll be good for my mind to not seek out a diagnosis - because then I'll drive myself nuts with questions for the next 6 months and not be able to talk about my fears with my providers.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:06 AM   #4
Michellelg
Registered
seller
seller

My Mood:
I've self diagnosed this, too. For a few years I was getting weird white patches on other places, like my hands, etc and I spent ages trying to google it. Well eventually I noticed a tiny patch on my labia and was like "huh..." and still, researched. Finally a few weeks ago was the first time I've really looked down there in a long while, and the white has spread so that it pretty much covers my whole outer labia :/ I'm 34 weeks and don't get the itching too much, so I plan to kind of point it out when my midwife does the gbs swab, but not really push the issue until my pp checkup probably. I still need to research if the most common treatments are safe during breast feeding and all that too.

No real advice or anything here, just a little commiseration <3 Let me know what you find out!!
Old 09-08-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michellelg View Post
I've self diagnosed this, too. For a few years I was getting weird white patches on other places, like my hands, etc and I spent ages trying to google it. Well eventually I noticed a tiny patch on my labia and was like "huh..." and still, researched. Finally a few weeks ago was the first time I've really looked down there in a long while, and the white has spread so that it pretty much covers my whole outer labia :/ I'm 34 weeks and don't get the itching too much, so I plan to kind of point it out when my midwife does the gbs swab, but not really push the issue until my pp checkup probably. I still need to research if the most common treatments are safe during breast feeding and all that too.

No real advice or anything here, just a little commiseration <3 Let me know what you find out!!
On one hand, I was hoping I wouldn't get responses because it'd mean there aren't other mamas suffering through this.

On the other hand, it's good to know as we find out information we can update each other.

Have you had vaginal births with your other children? Are you hoping/planning a vaginal birth for this one? If/when you find out about BFing information - please update! That'll be on my list for the doctor too as once I get through the pregnancy, the plan will be to BF too - for at least a year. I just don't understand why there is no info out there about this condition during pregnancy. I've found 1 page at the LS foundation page, but it doesn't really have any info.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #6
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Michelle - are you on facebook? I just typed lichen sclerosus into the search bar and it came up with a support group with 184 members. I've requested to be member #185! Not sure if it'll be any more informative, but it's a lead!