Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-08-2012, 05:35 PM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Originally Posted by Nerissa
We went to a free class at the hospital. It was a big waste of time. IMO. For one thing it was a big class where you sat a tables. It was at 7pm on a Monday night. After being at work all day--I work at 6:30am, by 7pm I was tired. I remember the teacher going on and on about the stages of labor. Well when it came to my labors I didn't have the "normal" stages. And didn't end up using anything from the class. The only thing i got out of it was I didn't want an epidural after they passed around the needle. No way was anyone sticking that in my back.
That... Exactly! Lol

Wife to Nick since 7.2.05, Mom to Cameron Nicholas since 10.16.06 & Dominic Adam 4.7.09 and Lucius Robert 10.2.14
TinyHineyDiapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:08 PM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: How much would (or did you) pay for childbirth classes?

I did the free classes through the hospital with ds1, waste of time. Was mostly on the epidural and c-sections.

Most independent educators charge around $100 - $500 and cover a wide range of topics. I charge $250, mine are aimed towards being active in birth (doesn't have to be unmedicated) and I go over nutrition, yoga/exercise in pregnancy and labor, going over different positions in labor and birth, newborn procedures, breastfeeding, newborn care, and so on. I also have dads get involved and have 2 classes specifically aimed at dad or labor companion on how they can help mom in labor.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:37 AM   #13
My Mood:
Re: How much would (or did you) pay for childbirth classes?

Our local hosp. charges $35 for a class. It was not worth it. They didn't cover breathing or effective coaching. Which is why you go. My 'coach' walked out of there without a clue as to how important his role was or that he need to know all the 'ugly' and what to do if it happened. Listening to someone say, "Every labor & delivery is different" 50 times, just didn't cut.

I was very disappointed in the content of the class but it was the only way to get a tour of the maternity ward, find out what the rooms were like and get those questions asked.

I highly recommend doing some research and taking a class that fits you & your partner, if available in your area.
TresOfReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #14
Registered Users
Our classes were all free, but I took 3 classes. A childbirth class that talked about stages and a little pain management, but most importantly a hospital tour and interventions intro (what are forceps...). The second class was about epidurals. The last was on breastfeeding. I am glad I took them all, but especially the bfing and intervention/tour part of my birthing class. I would have paid for the bfing class but would have been sad if I paid much for the rest.

This pregnancy I plan on taking another breastfeeding class (only if I can find a free one - I'd love a refresher on the basics) and am paying for a $90 natural birth class (thats all it covers). The reason why taking a class is important to me is because of my birthing coach. I plan on reading up on things, but I cannot expect my coach (my mom) to read a bunch of books. She's totally down for a class though. I plan on just requesting a hospital tour on my own.
RunawayBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:49 AM   #15
Registered Users
My Mood:
I only did it for our 1st. Paid 65 and it was ok. I honestly would have done fine w/o it and didn't really learn anything I didn't know.
Holly, mommy to 6 ~ 4 on earth 2 in Heaven
hohaas is offline   Reply With Quote