Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-11-2006, 06:27 PM   #11
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: anyone else switch to a midwife at the end of pregnancy

I did with my 2nd pregnancy after having preterm with my 1st (twins) and no one seemed to care when I started having contractions at 28wks (when I went into preterm labor w/ my twins) and I decided to look around. I found a midwife and dr practice and the MWs do deliveries at the hospital. I really liked the personalization I had with my MW, but I also love my High-Risk OB who I had w/ the twins and my last pregnancy. I had a lot of weird issues after having my 3rd baby (atypical eclamptic seizures & peri-partum cardiomyopathy) so I couldn't been seen by a MW. My dr was on leave and wasn't able to see me during my pregnancy until my last appt and was a little peeved that I never discussed it with her but she was never there so how could I have? I don't think dr's expect moms to leave mid-pregnancy unless they're relocating, but I have advised many moms to find a new dr after having horrible experiences! They were always afraid of what would happen if they left... What could they do? Refuse to transfer your charts? No...
Anyway, I wish you luck with your move. I've actually only had a dr for my twin delivery, my 3rd was an RN (and a lay MW in TX,) my 4th was a MW and my 5th was an RN as well. I had quick deliveries and the right ppl didn't have time to come in and catch the baby! The dr with my 3rd didn't show up for almost 30 mins after I delivered! Good thing I was hemmoraging huh?!

Advertisement

Old 07-12-2006, 06:56 AM   #12
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:

hmmmmm kelly didn't know that. it's just what they say they require....i mean the lady at registration did tell me they can't turn me away so i'm not really sure why they make it seem like you have to pay it all before delivery. i mean we won't be paying it all before lol, only the $200 b/c we just can't afford to do that (who can!?). maybe they just make it seem that way to avoid having to collect payment later on?
as far as the midwifery that i found, she said it's just too diffucult to collect payment later so they have to at least have a postdated check up front. we'll be sticking w/my ob though. chances are a midwife may be delivering me anyhow b/c he has 3 that work in his office w/him that deliver at the hospital. my thing w/wanting to switch was that i thought maybe i'd be able to find something more affordable...but apparently whereas i did find something more affordable..it just wasn't DOABLE immediately. sucks but what do you do? thanks for all the advice though mamas!

Mom to 4 boys~AJ~Dustin~Brighton~Tristan~ & 1 Angel Baby Ilori
& our 1 girly Baker, 8/13
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:27 AM   #13
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Try posting something in the "Finding Your Tribe" forum at www.mothering.com. Just go to the right sub-forum for your area and ask for recommendations on midwives...you may be surprised. I don't know where you are but $3000 seems really high. I'm in GA and the homebirth midwives I checked with were $1500 - $2000 and every one that I interviewed said that they would work with us if we wound up switching to them late in the pregnancy (because of PTL, we weren't sure if homebirth would be an option or not so we were looking at switching around 34-36 weeks if the baby wasn't born yet). Each of them also had different policies on payment...most required a deposit with the first visit and as you said, they preferred to have full payment before the baby was born because it's difficult to collect later but they were all very willing to work with us.

As I posted in the other thread, you really should contact someone like www.clarkhoward.com and the insurance commissioner in your state. I've run into some pretty crazy things with medical bills over the years and from what I've learned, it sounds like you may be getting some misinformation from people who just want your money (not uncommon!) You also really need to get a copy of the benefits book from HR and check out what it says about copays/deductibles/etc. Unless they've notified you in writing of a change, they have to stand by what's printed there. And don't pay anything in advance...they cannot refuse you medical care if you're in labor so you don't have to worry about that. Once the hospital has settled with the insurance company, you'll get a final bill and then you can work with a financial counsellor to work something out. I have had hospitals "write off" as much as half of a bill before...it's not uncommon. As for paying whatever is left, they're usually pretty good about working with you...as long as you pay *something* (even $5 a month) they'll keep your account in good standing and not put anything on your credit report...you just have to show that you're making an effort. Worst case scenario, if they do put something on your credit report, it will be labeled as medical and most places will ignore it when they review your credit. I worked in the banking industry for several years and any time we looked at a credit report, we disregarded anything that was medical because it's so common for insurance companies to take forever resolving claims and the patients get caught in the middle.

I know this is the hardest thing to do but please, try to relax...this is stress you and your baby do not need right now! Your family is in our prayers, everything will work out one way or another.
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote