Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Homemade Christmas gift ideas?

It's that time again.
What are your best ideas? I'm specifically looking for a 5 y/o girl who loves dolls (maybe clothes for her dolls-but IDK if I"m that skilled at sewing), and a almost 2 y/o boy. oh and teacher gifts would be awesome!

I'm thinking of making superhero capes for my kids as well as mu BFF's DS. but after that I'm out of ideas LOL.

Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
lensesforeyes
Registered Users

At 2y/o my DS got a metal Tonka dump truck. He will be 4y/o on Sunday and still constantly plays with it. No batteries, and it's not plastic junk. In fact, all my kids love it.

Does the 5y/o like doing crafts? When my ODD was that age, craft kits, beads, starter sewing sets, paints, markers, etc. were a HUGE hit. Also fun because we could do them with her.

Homemade play dough is cheap and fun.

ETA: totally did not see this said homemade, sorry!

Last edited by lensesforeyes; 09-11-2012 at 03:55 PM.
lensesforeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homemade Christmas gift ideas?

craft kits are a great idea! she loves anything arts and crafts right now
Old 09-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #4
kalasin
Registered Users
seller

You can easily "make" a craft kit at the dollar store. I nanny, and I stock up there. Pipe cleaners, buttons, ink, bingo daubers ("marker paint!" lol), beads, construction paper, glue, crayons, scissors, etc and while you're there get some plastic cases to make her playdough (and glitter, for crafts and play dough).
kalasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalasin View Post
You can easily "make" a craft kit at the dollar store. I nanny, and I stock up there. Pipe cleaners, buttons, ink, bingo daubers ("marker paint!" lol), beads, construction paper, glue, crayons, scissors, etc and while you're there get some plastic cases to make her playdough (and glitter, for crafts and play dough).
great idea! we don't have super great $ stores here, but I can put together something. and the best part, I can put it in the craft closet after she opens it so there's less junk thrown around in her room

eta: any ideas for a 6 month old girl?

Last edited by corinne76; 09-11-2012 at 07:11 PM.
corinne76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #6
lensesforeyes
Registered Users

For a six month old, I have no idea the cost, so not really sure if it is thrifty or not, but you could make cloth teethers with the crinkly stuff in it, and different textured cloth.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:20 PM   #7
KrisM
Registered Users
seller

If you want to make things for the doll, there are options other than clothes - sleeping bag, pillow, purse, etc. My DD loves the 'stuff' more than clothes still, and she's 6.

Earn gift cards or paypal at Swagbucks! Click Here to join the fun!
KrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #8
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

I made some felt cookies for a baby shower a few months ago, and my 6 year old girl was IN LOVE with them. A 5 year old who likes dolls might enjoy them for doll tea parties (& other pretend play). Here is the blog I used for inspiration.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:56 PM   #9
nebraskamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You could make a "fort in a bag", or a fishing game, or even a waldorf doll.

Here is a link to some homemade gifts that I'm using this year. The link for how to make the fort in a bag doesn't work anymore, but you can just google pinterest fort in a bag and it shows up. It's basically two queen sheets, a set of clothes pins, rope, and a flashlight. Then you can pack them all in a pillowcase for a carrying bag. Super easy!

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1402376

Last edited by nebraskamom; 09-11-2012 at 09:02 PM. Reason: clarification
nebraskamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:13 PM   #10
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
If you want to make things for the doll, there are options other than clothes - sleeping bag, pillow, purse, etc. My DD loves the 'stuff' more than clothes still, and she's 6.
great idea! she's been making a house out of an old diaper box. I wonder if I can make her some sort of house or something? But the bedding stuff and even the purse would be awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan View Post
I made some felt cookies for a baby shower a few months ago, and my 6 year old girl was IN LOVE with them. A 5 year old who likes dolls might enjoy them for doll tea parties (& other pretend play). Here is the blog I used for inspiration.
Cute! I love felt food but she's more into dressing up the dolls at the moment. I may make some anyway though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebraskamom View Post
You could make a "fort in a bag", or a fishing game, or even a waldorf doll.

Here is a link to some homemade gifts that I'm using this year. The link for how to make the fort in a bag doesn't work anymore, but you can just google pinterest fort in a bag and it shows up. It's basically two queen sheets, a set of clothes pins, rope, and a flashlight. Then you can pack them all in a pillowcase for a carrying bag. Super easy!

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1402376
That fishing game is cute. I wonder who I could make that for ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by lensesforeyes View Post
For a six month old, I have no idea the cost, so not really sure if it is thrifty or not, but you could make cloth teethers with the crinkly stuff in it, and different textured cloth.
Thanks!