Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-11-2012, 06:58 PM   #11
KandFsMomma
Registered Users
Formerly: keirinsmomma
seller

My Mood:
Re: gatorade alternative?

I would not trust the FDA regarding the above. (Or anytime really) Stevia is of course safe, as it is a plant. I don't know what the others are.

I used Recharge during labor and let DD drink it when needed too, it's awesome, and does not contain added sugar. (Just fruit juice sweetened.)

Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 08:27 PM   #12
Caz
Registered Users
Formerly: ccin***s
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KandFsMomma View Post
I would not trust the FDA regarding the above. (Or anytime really) Stevia is of course safe, as it is a plant. I don't know what the others are.

I used Recharge during labor and let DD drink it when needed too, it's awesome, and does not contain added sugar. (Just fruit juice sweetened.)
Just trying to provide more info about the ingredients since the OP couldn't find them, certainly not trying to endorse the claims of the FDA.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #13
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't know what all is in it, but I used Emergen-c when I was in labor with DS3.

Oh.. what about sports waters? They are mineral waters with electrolytes and vitamins added but no sugars.

Good luck.
God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #14
Blueberry32
Registered Users

I was going to suggest coconut water as well. There are a lot of different brands and they can taste quite different. I find the ones mixed with other fruit juices to taste the best. Coconut water on it's own can taste a bit odd if you're not used to it.
Blueberry32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:13 AM   #15
erlyjo
User requested temporary ban
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KandFsMomma
Stevia is of course safe, as it is a plant. I don't know what the others are.
There are plenty of poisonous plants out there! Don't trust something just because it is a plant or "all natural"! Cyanide is very much all natural...
Old 09-12-2012, 07:40 AM   #16
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry32 View Post
I was going to suggest coconut water as well. There are a lot of different brands and they can taste quite different. I find the ones mixed with other fruit juices to taste the best. Coconut water on it's own can taste a bit odd if you're not used to it.
That's funny, I do not like the ones with added fruit juice at all. I enjoy the coconut water plain and very cold(not slushy though).
OP- It is different, just dont think water when you try it, lol! I've come to really like it
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:57 AM   #17
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by erlyjo View Post
There are plenty of poisonous plants out there! Don't trust something just because it is a plant or "all natural"! Cyanide is very much all natural...
Ditto. Natural does not equal safe. Besides, regular sugar is from a plant, and a lot of people hate sugar.

I'm surprised she recommends Gatoraid, from what I understand it is not very hydrating at all. According to studies, the most hydrating fluid is actually chocolate milk. She might as well tell you to drink soda. Dh used barley or rice water in Se Asia for cholera, but that's also because it is readily available. But apparently it works great for oral hydration. You take several TBS of barley or rice and boil it in a gallon of water, strain the grain and drink it.

What about tea or juice, or you know, water? Drink water and eat a banana, lol. If she is concerned about your hydration during labor, has she told you how much fluid ounces you need to drink per hour for your body weight to maintain appropriate hydration? We use that formula with the kids when they run a fever to keep them from getting dehydrated, and it works great.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:16 AM   #18
Caz
Registered Users
Formerly: ccin***s
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniebees View Post
Ditto. Natural does not equal safe. Besides, regular sugar is from a plant, and a lot of people hate sugar.

I'm surprised she recommends Gatoraid, from what I understand it is not very hydrating at all. According to studies, the most hydrating fluid is actually chocolate milk. She might as well tell you to drink soda. Dh used barley or rice water in Se Asia for cholera, but that's also because it is readily available. But apparently it works great for oral hydration. You take several TBS of barley or rice and boil it in a gallon of water, strain the grain and drink it.

What about tea or juice, or you know, water? Drink water and eat a banana, lol. If she is concerned about your hydration during labor, has she told you how much fluid ounces you need to drink per hour for your body weight to maintain appropriate hydration? We use that formula with the kids when they run a fever to keep them from getting dehydrated, and it works great.
Chocolate milk is VERY popular as a recovery drink with distance runners and other endurance athletes, some marathons have even started offering it at the finish line instead of water or other replacement drinks...
Old 09-12-2012, 08:27 AM   #19
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller

problem with chocolate milk (i.e. sugar) is that I get heart palpitations, tight chested from the carbs, same with too much juice etc

problem isn't really hydration so much as the salts etc used up during labor, sweating and the like. Going to try some homemade recipes out I think!
Old 09-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #20
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
Chocolate milk is VERY popular as a recovery drink with distance runners and other endurance athletes, some marathons have even started offering it at the finish line instead of water or other replacement drinks...
Who woulda thought, huh? We're not anti-sugar here, so I let the kids drink chocolate milk, but I never would have thought that it is anything but yummies added in to get the kids to drink more milk. Apparently it has just the right mix of sugar, salt, and electrolytes plus some protein to hydrate the most effectively.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zandj View Post
problem with chocolate milk (i.e. sugar) is that I get heart palpitations, tight chested from the carbs, same with too much juice etc

problem isn't really hydration so much as the salts etc used up during labor, sweating and the like. Going to try some homemade recipes out I think!
You actually don't need much salt, but the other electrolytes can be important. Can you eat fruit? A banana, plus water would be enough.