Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-18-2012, 09:05 AM   #31
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Re: Coconut Oil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaith View Post
LOVE.

I used to use it for deodorant, but stopped. Hair oil, moisturizer, diaper rash, cradle cap, heat rash... I'll have to try the toothpaste thing. How does it taste?
It tastes just fine to me - mild & not overpowering like a lot of flavored toothpastes can, but I prefer bland flavors for things like that. It's WAY bette than just baking soda - the coconut oil makes it patelable. And it really helps keep bad breath at bay too.

You could always add some mint, etc if you wanted. I just prefer not to & since we enjoy it the way it is, no reason to add another ingredient that just costs $.

Advertisement

Old 08-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #32
ZnBmama
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae View Post
I made my own creamy baby powder with it today. A little oil and some corn starch. Worked great. Went on like lotion.

I found a recipe for deodorant that I plan to use too.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using DS Forum
Mind sharing the recipe?

Hunting and pecking for fresh baby and children's deals! Follow me! CheapMamaChick on Facebook
& Cheapmamachick.com
ZnBmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:29 AM   #33
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnBmama

Mind sharing the recipe?
http://chocolateandzucchini.com/arch..._deodorant.php

Sent from my SGH-T959V using DS Forum

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #34
ShoshannaR
Registered Users

DS newbie here... I have been using coconut oil for diaper cream, massage, face cream, cradle cap, to clean behind the ears and belly buttons, baked goods, spread on toast, etc.
Now I've got even more ideas! Thanks for the inspiration mamas!
ShoshannaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #35
rtaylor
Registered Users
seller

I cant believe how many uses there are for coconut oil! I cant wait to try some of the uses mentioned!
rtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #36
MamaToACDPrincess
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use it for everything ! Its always my go to. my hubby was in a bad accident at work in June and had 2nd and 3rd degree burns. When he came home from the burn senter we stoped using what they gave him and used a "lotion" i made by mixing caledula oil, TTO, lavender oil and coconut oil. The dr's and nurses couldnt believe how fast it healed him up. He was cleared for work today and they couldnt believe how fast its healed

I swear by coconut oil !
MamaToACDPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #37
txlnds
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMamma View Post
I use it for everything. It's my "Greek Windex" lol

1:1 coconut oil & baking soda is our toothpaste (& fyi my last dentist cleaning was the BEST & quickest I've ever had - dentist said my routine was great).

Face cream, body cream, use for oil pulling, on the feet with garlic for detoxing/pulling out toxins, I consume a few tablespoons a day to help with digestion & also as a part of my naturopathic regimen (helps kill off "bugs" etc). Put it on cuts/scrapes like you would neosporin... hair conditioner (leave-in) & anti-frizz cream (only product I use in my hair), rub into the scalp to get rid of dandriff...
So you use a solid toothpaste or do you buy it fractionated?
txlnds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #38
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by txlnds View Post
So you use a solid toothpaste or do you buy it fractionated?
I just mix 1:1 baking soda & coconut oil & keep in a container by the sink. You can add something like cin, or another flavor to it if you want that minty or cin taste, but I don't mind it on its own.

When you spit, do it in a container or the trash. Otherwise, when it cools down it will harden in your pipes & create an issue over a long time.

It's liquidy when it's above 76 degrees & a solid when it's cooler. If it's liquid, I just dip in my toothbrush. If it's a solid, I just kind of dig the brush in a bit & get it on there. Once you start to brush, it all melts.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #39
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Oh I also just stared using it as a deoderant (do did DH & he works outside a lot on the homestead). I just used the same recipe as above for toothpaste. I've seen a lot of recipes that add other things too like cornstarch, EOs, etc, but I wanted to find something with as few ingredients as possible b/c it's just plain cheaper. It works better than any other natural deoderant I've tried so far & DH likes it too. Just rub a bit on after a shower in the morning and it works all day
Old 09-13-2012, 10:26 AM   #40
iwiamandaiwi
Registered Users

I've heard so much about coconut oil. Does it feel sticky when you rub it on for like a moisturizer? IDK why but it sounds like it would leave a sticky gorss feeling behind...