Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-06-2012, 06:59 AM   #11
Dani_Phen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Farmin/Homesteading weekly chat September 2nd-8th

Meagan- Looks great! We have a black lab/bordercollie mix. I love both breeds. They are so energetic but such sweet/loving dogs. Mine is around 13 years old. I've had her since she was around a year old. She still my baby!! lol. I love that cabinet! I'm not allowed to go to antiques stores apart from when I'm Christmas shopping or unless dh is with me. I end up always finding stuff and buying it or finding stuff and begging Dh to go back and look at it with me. Gettysburg is FULL of antique shops so it could become an easy issue. lol My weakness's are old pictures, old furniture, and china dishes.

Oh. My. Gosh. I AM EXHAUSTED. I stayed up canning until 3? 4? this morning along with cleaning and baking muffins. Ds just doesn't let me get much done during the day so I've resolved to play with him by day and work by night when I need to. I am surprisingly less stressed when I do it that way and feel so much better even though I'm tired. I made a pie crust last night and plan to pop a peach pie in the oven this morning. Dh's grandparents are coming here for dinner tonight b/c his gram has stitches in her leg and shouldn't be on her feet! Tomorrow my sis is spending the night and I am highlighting her hair...I'm think I'm going to do mine too...I've never dyed my hair before but when I mentioned it to Dh, he surprisingly seemed like he'd like my hair lighter like it was when we first met. It was dirty blonde...now it's almost a darker brown. I feel like a teenager again! We have so much planned while my guys are sleeping.

Advertisement

Last edited by Dani_Phen; 09-06-2012 at 07:01 AM.
Dani_Phen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:44 AM   #12
chloecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

dani, this is our old lab.. we just put him down last tuesday. he was 12.5 and was going downhill fast. he had a huge tumor on his leg, glaucoma, he was deaf, and had dog "parkinsens" disease. poor guy. the vet showed up at my house to put him down since he was too big to lug into the car by myself. love having a farm vet!

my old bear dog!! missing you buddy
Old 09-06-2012, 08:57 AM   #13
Dani_Phen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Aw! So sorry to hear!! My dog has been through everything with me and I know it sounds really odd but she was my best friend as a teenager. Now, she makes sure Ds and I are safe when Dh isn't home. If she doesn't know someone or if someone gives off a bad vibe to her or I she will not stop growling and bearing teeth until I call her off. She makes me feel really safe. I don't know what I'll do when she's gone! It's crazy how people can get so attached to pets but I suppose that's what pets are here for!
Old 09-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #14
chloecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

kitchen is coming along. my hubby promises to have the last row of cabinets and countertop in tongight. i guess i'll see. today i went to yoga and then to lowes to pick up the countertop edging i needed to finish the island. hoping to finish that this weekend too. i also got a can of black paint to do a distressed finish on the new bench i got so it blends in better with the rest of the kitchen.

i just finished cleaning out the pantry and moving things to where they belong in the new cabinets. now i need to finish weeding out the junk in the boxes and bags stacked around my living room. i promised myself that if i wouldn't want to pack it to move in a few months i won't be keeping it now! so far i've taken a fully loaded 8 foot pickup truck to the dump with junk!! thats in the whole house though and i still have much more to clean out!! i need to get going on cleaning and decluttering to make things easier to clean up and be presentable for when we start showing the house. my goal is to list it by middle/end of october!! fingers crossed
Old 09-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #15
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just sold the goats wish ODD wasn't so allergic.
Note to self, take kids around any farm animals that I pan on getting a few times before buying. *sigh*

At least they went to a great family, close by, cousins of mine.
Loast a bit on the whole endeavor. considering the goats were $300 the fencing $200 the milk stand supplies $100, plus the hay, feed, mineral block, water trough, brushes and other stuff. I sold it all for $400. oh well, Sam's club run tomorrow then.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:28 PM   #16
mamajoe
Registered Users
seller

Long time no chat ladies. Lol. Kitchen looks great megan! Love your sink tap amanda. Sorry your dd was allergic

Things have been busy here. Had a friend visiting for a week then back to catching up on the garden. Still freezing and canning and we are finally coming to the end (just beets, corn and tomatoes and potatoes left in). I'm secretly happy since i need a break, but will be sad when i'm no longer "grocery" shopping in the back yard. Tomorrow is pickled beets and carrots, apple sauce and apple pie filling (and then cleanning house). Also ordered seed for nezt year (super early yes, but found an awesome place for heritage seed and since thye harvest their own, their supplies are not always guarenteed. Figured it will be fine till spring, so took advantage). Now on to planning everything as next year will be the first year i plant my own seed. Need to do some research on companion planting. Also building a raised bed for my own seed harvest crops. Anyone her plant in raised beds? I do not plan to make a barrier between the bed and the ground, just want to add extra dirt/space since there are huge spruce trees near by. I also plan to mulch cover in some form to keep my pesky (although adorable and good hunting) cats out. Lol. I'm exhaused, so night all! Hoping to have finished pics of the "stores" soon!
Old 09-10-2012, 12:31 PM   #17
Dani_Phen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Amanda- Sorry to hear!!

This weekend was busy, busy, busy....Now today I am busy, busy, busy catching up. I'm loving this fallish weather!!

This week I am canning applesauce, doing a fall cleanout and I suppose I'm going to take Ds shopping for some bigger and warm clothing. Over the last 2 weeks his shirts have slowly risen up to his belly...I'd say growth spurt, definitely! He went from a 12 month size to 2T. He basically skipped right over 18 month size. I'm going to clean out all of our drawers and move bed's, dressers, stands, furniture...etc and vacuum under everything this week. I might try and make Ds some new shirts and maybe some curtains for our bedroom...not certain yet. I start a Bible study tomorrow night. I'm just going to be busy this week.

Well, got to run ladies! Tea break is over (haven't had any coffee today!!! ) and I need to work on some stuff before Ds wakes up from his nap. Hope everyone has a good week!!

Last edited by Dani_Phen; 09-10-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Dani_Phen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #18
mamajoe
Registered Users
seller

Busy day dani! Ugh! Fall cleaning, i haven't even thought about that! But needs to be done here soooo bad. Especially windows. Downside to having cattle? FLIES, tons and tons of flies.

Busy day around here. Did another batch of dilled carrots this am, double batch (for freezing) of gold fish, double batch (for freezing) of teddy grahams. Bread just came out of the oven. Supper in the crock pot. This afternoon i need to go to the neighbours to pick up eggs, decide waht to do with the 2 buckets of apples, make apple turnovers for the freezer, pizza pops for the freezer (dough is in the machine), 3 loaves of banana bread (for the freezer). And vacuum. My house needs vacuuming BAD. Now that the veggies are mostly done, canning is mostly done, its time to start filling the freezer wi goodies. Then i can finally rest!

Oh and need ot get the big freezer down stairs emptied. We had a heaifer break a leg yesterday, so we called the neighbour to come get her. Butcher shops need booking at least a year in advance so we are so so so thankful our friend decided to help us out, or she would have gone in the bush for the coyotes and that would have been very sad. We were pretty upset yesterday (we have 2 steers marked for freezer in nov) so we really didn't need to lose her too. BUT blessing in disguise! Our friend does tons of smoking and stuff and is going to turn her mostly into snadwich meat, hot dogs and hamburger for us! I'm thrilled as my kiddo loves bologna and hot dogs and i hate giving them to her because i never know what is in them. Now its our meat! And he is going to do it for free (well beer, but that is way less than what we would have paid at the meat mart).
Old 09-11-2012, 05:13 AM   #19
Dani_Phen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mamajoe- Oh my word, woman, you need to sit down and take it easy!! lol. Ugh...we live on a small scale chicken farm. Talk about flies?! On cool or rainy days they sit on the windows and it's so gross. So sorry you lost a heifer! We get our sandwhich meat, beef sticks, hotdogs, chipped beef all made out of steers from the home farm (or lost heifers). Makes me feel better since they don't put any nitrates in the dogs and we know what was fed to the cow. Dh's pap works for a local butcher in our hometown and makes them for us. Your last line makes me chuckle! My family has paid people in beer so many times when I was growing up and even now. The people who built my parents house were all family and friends and we paid everyone in beer because mom and dad didn't have the money to pay them otherwise and that's what they wanted.

I got my house mostly "fall cleaned". I need to totally do our room yet (bleh!!), clean out Ds's drawers and go through a stack of random papers sitting on my bookshelf. Our house is pretty quick and easy to do because of it being so small. I ended up picking a bucket of tomatoes yesterday and half a bucket of jalapenos and sweet banana peppers. I thought the peppers were done but apparently not! So I need to work on freezing jalepenos and canning sweet ones. I'm hoping to get to applesauce today and maybe make salsa and can. I'd like to fold clothes and wash bedsheets but not sure if I'll get that far. I think we are going to have macaroni soup for supper tonight so that if I leave early Dh can heat it up easily. If I have time, I'm going to try and leave early today for bible study and see about getting Ds a few bigger clothing items or some material. SIL gave me some kids clothing patterns in the sizes Ds needs so I'm thrilled!! Need to look for some inexpensive material. Most of what I have is more girly because I've made dresses and things for people. All I have in boy colors is camo and maybe some blue plaid.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:03 AM   #20
chloecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i picked up 60lbs of apples yesterday at the bent & dent store $0.39 a pound. so today i'm making apples!! and hopefully painting the ceiling in my new kitchen!!

oh and my baby wants me to make her a piggy costume for halloween. so i need to start on that. and i have to make a rainbow bright costume for a friend of mine. she brought me all the stuff. now i just need to get it done!! not enough hours in the day!