Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #11
Caz
Registered Users
Formerly: ccin***s
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: how do you protect your kids from molestation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffie View Post
I'm honestly surprised by all the responses about the PT never being allowed alone with the child. I work in a school and our school personnel are often alone with students. It may be the speech therapist, the social worker, PT, OT, a teacher after school or at lunch for a detention, the custodian who is in the hall alone with the child when a lock needs to be cut off a locker b/c the student forgot his or her combination, the principal, the librarian if you child goes to check out a book and no one else is there. I think it's unrealistic to think that your child will never be alone with someone at school.

I know you said it's more likely that a male be a predator than a female but it's also more likely that someone you know personally be a predator than a school professional. The best thing you can do to help protect your child is to talk about good touch bad touch and what to do if they ever feel uncomfortable. It's also important to have the conversation often. If you are uncomfortable with your child being serviced at school maybe you could look into private services that would be provided in your home.
This. Exactly.

Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #12
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffie View Post
I know you said it's more likely that a male be a predator than a female but it's also more likely that someone you know personally be a predator than a school professional.

This is true, it's usually a family member or a family friend. It's rarely AT the school. You DO hear about these things on the news, more and more in fact, but you don't hear about the cousin or the uncle because it's not good news reporting.

I read a report somewhere that the most common people are the Mom's troubled brother, or the mom's boyfriend who was "babysitting". Then, the parents act surprised and say "Well, I knew he had a past, I just didn't think he would ever touch my child".

Last edited by escapethevillage; 09-13-2012 at 11:15 AM.
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #13
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post
You have the good touch/bad touch talk with them. And periodically discuss it with them. We go by what underwear/swim suit covers. We also talk about keeping secrets from parents and how no one should ever ask you to keep a secret from your parents (gifts TO parents excluded)-especially if it seems like something that makes you feel uncomfortable is being asked to be kept secret.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #14
mekat
Registered Users

I would call and talk to the PT. Ask if you can come in and observe a session or at least tour the room and meet the support staff. My son gets easily confused too and to make maters worse he is not fluent in augmented communication so can't string sentences together. His main communication involves yes/no choices which is pretty limited.

If you not sure she has the ability to differentiate I would just ask her to tell you about any touch in the underwear region like mentioned above. Even that may be hard to figure out if her PT involves harnesses since he may be touching her there to put on the harnesses groin strap. Don't forget about diaper changes if she still has accidents.

My son had a male ese teacher the first two weeks last year (later moved to a higher functioning room after they evaluated him). I talked to the teacher for a good 30 minutes and I met the teacher aides. I wasn't the least concerned because I trusted my judgement and knew there would always be 3 adults present.

Just seeing the set up may be enough to alleviate fears. For example in our school
the physical therapy room had large interior windows and anybody going into the office by the front door could clearly see what was happening but often she did stretching in the classrooms and exercises in the hall. I think the reason to do them in the classrooms was to show the aides and teacher what they were supposed to work on for the rest of the week. The reason for the hallway was because there was just more room for kids to practice walking, running, jumping, wheeling etc.... I am sure if some one were really determined they could get a child alone but honestly I have a hard time picturing how they would achieve such a feat at my son's school.
mekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #15
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes View Post
im surprised a school would have a PT not have someone else in the room. us makes sense to protect the client and the PT
That sounds good. But in a time where we barely have enough money to keep paras to keep the special education ratios legal, there are not extra adults just laying around. Our district has fired the librarians, most of the secretaries, most of the paras, and is bare bones. No field trips, no new books for the library, no new textbooks, nothing! There is not someone to just sit with the PT all day.

We have many service providers in our building--OT, PT, ST, psychologist, and 2 behvioral therapists who are outsourced and paid for by Medicaid/private insurance. There is no way that we could supervise all of them.

The school district hired a professional. He is treated the same as any other employee by the district. It is unreasonable to expect he be supervised by another adult. If you are uncomfortable with it, request that you be present during all therapy. You are permitted to come to the school and supervise any time you wish.

Or, get a script from your doctor and go to private pay therapy. DS does PT at school, but also sees a private therapist once a week. Medicaid pays for it.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 09-13-2012 at 12:34 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #16
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola

That sounds good. But in a time where we barely have enough money to keep paras to keep the special education ratios legal, there are not extra adults just laying around. Our district has fired the librarians, most of the secretaries, most of the paras, and is bare bones. No field trips, no new books for the library, no new textbooks, nothing! There is not someone to just sit with the PT all day.

We have many service providers in our building--OT, PT, ST, psychologist, and 2 behvioral therapists who are outsourced and paid for by Medicaid/private insurance. There is no way that we could supervise all of them.

The school district hired a professional. He is treated the same as any other employee by the district. It is unreasonable to expect he be supervised by another adult. If you are uncomfortable with it, request that you be present during all therapy. You are permitted to come to the school and supervise any time you wish.

Or, get a script from your doctor and go to private pay therapy. DS does PT at school, but also sees a private therapist once a week. Medicaid pays for it.
More schools should hook up with local colleges. Lots of students that could use an internship.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #17
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae View Post
More schools should hook up with local colleges. Lots of students that could use an internship.
We have a partnership with University of Indianapolis here, but it is hard to fit in the college students schedules, and many of them don't have cars, so getting out to our building is tough. They are here 2 hours a week, but our district's requirement is that they come with a professor as a group so they are supervised while interacting with our students, and the teachers here don't have to worry about supervising them.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #18
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

You need to talk to your dd. My girls are never without me except for classes at church which are taught by two women at all times. They stol know that no one is allowed to touch them. And what to do if someone tries. Its not a big scary conversation, just an ongoing thing we discuss. My 2 yo yelled at me for getting to close to her "gina" when I was tickeling her the other day lol

Sent from my droid
Old 09-13-2012, 02:05 PM   #19
Bhavana
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hugs to you OP. It such a tricky situation. Like a PP suggested maybe you could watch a couple of sessions and seeing the set up may help with deciding if you'd like to make some changes.

Girls. Precious little girls and the naivete of all children...they need to be protected and it saddens me that the need for carnal pleasure makes people do such heinous crimes.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:05 PM   #20
Bhavana
Registered Users

My Mood:

DP

Last edited by Bhavana; 09-13-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Bhavana is offline   Reply With Quote