Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
night weaning...well, the early morning hours

So, I night weaned ds a few months ago and it went better than I expected, but he basically sleeps from about 8-8:30p-5am. Sometimes 4:30 or 6, but 5-5:30 is the average. He sleeps in his own crib.

When he wakes at that time, I just get in the guest bed with him which is in his room and he nurses and usually goes back to sleep, but lately he's taking to turning me into a jungle gym and he is constantly moving and changing sides and laying on top of me, kicking me, etc. He's almost 18 months and he rarely nurses for much milk anymore. He gets a bottle of cows milk before bed and nurses during the day some but will often play after a short bit or if he's tired, he'll fall asleep and then turn me into a pacifier. I keep trying "don't offer, don't refuse" but he asks A LOT. I hate to force weaning on him if he's not ready but at the same time when he does nurse it's annoying to me. I've tried teaching him manners and stopping the session if he gets too out of hand, but the next session he does the same thing. I'm just really ready to be done.

So, I don't know how to get him to extend his morning hours a bit so I don't have to nurse him. I've tried to snuggle and rub his back like I did with night weaning but he's much more loud and persistent at this time of morning! At 1am he was more willing to go back to sleep. At 5:30am he's yelling NAAAAAA-NAAAAAA!!! in my ear until I give in.

I don't want him to wake my other boys because they have to get up for school at 7am, so I want them to sleep as much as possible.

So, any tips on how I can get him to extend his sleeping hours and drop that early morning "must stay attached at all times" nursing session?

Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: night weaning...well, the early morning hours

I wonder if playing dead in those early morning hours would work? Don't engage in the play and see if he settles down again after a while? It could be pretty hard the first few days, but then it might get better.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: night weaning...well, the early morning hours

ha, ha! I like that...."playing dead". I'll have to try that and see how it works. Now, if I could just get him to take a decent nap. He's killing me with just a 30 minute nap in the car or stroller. The only way he'll nap longer is if I hold him and let him nurse the whole time. I just cannot do that with 2 older kids so I've been stuck with a grumpy toddler who gets into EVERYTHING and climbs everything all day long. I love him, he's cute, but man he's EXHAUSTING!!!