Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #11
blackbirdmama*3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I need help understanding modern schooling

Our school is nothing like that for early education classes as far as to how the classroom is set up. Up to kindergarten and even first grade to an extent they do tons of hands on stuff with lots of opportunity for open-ended play. My dd's classroom even has an extra room off of it that is the therapy room but is large enough for them to play in if the weather is bad.

Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 01:33 PM   #12
joslin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Can you all tell me that in your experience how much recess and lunch time do your kids get? This school used to have 2 30min recess for kids and half hour for lunch. As I look at the websites of schools around me ("better districts") they have 10-15 minute recesses, some twice a day but most once a day and 15 minute lunch.

joslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:54 PM   #13
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Most schools around here for elementary full day have one 15 minute recess in the morning, a 30 minute lunch, then 30 minutes of recess after lunch.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #14
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslin View Post
Can you all tell me that in your experience how much recess and lunch time do your kids get? This school used to have 2 30min recess for kids and half hour for lunch. As I look at the websites of schools around me ("better districts") they have 10-15 minute recesses, some twice a day but most once a day and 15 minute lunch.
At our school K-2 get 3 recesses. A 15 min one in the morning, 30 min after lunch (or before if they are the last group to get lunch) and 15 min afternoon recess. They get 20 min for lunch. 3-4 get dropped down to 2 recesses I think. I'm not sure if they drop the morning or afternoon recess but it is possible they drop both 15 min recess and just get their lunch recess.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #15
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

The part I would find the most disturbing is the description of the classroom. I think I would go visit another school and see if that school is odd or if that is the norm (I doubt it). My dd's kindy class didn't have desks. There were stations some stations like the 'writing' station had a table to work at. The other stations were lego, blocks, books, play house, math manipulatives etc..

The part about the different types of kids I would be open minded about and see how it goes when school starts.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #16
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor

Would you say that after K, the majority of those kids are weeded out and placed into special ed classes that can better suit their needs, or do they continue to try to mainsteam them?
It depends on the district. The mist extreme and dangerous kids here are placed in special classrooms. There are different levels, from all day special ed, to only some subjects, to mainstreamed. It just depends.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #17
joslin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do your schools have "early release days" all schools around here have 1-3 early release days A MONTH! So your kid gets out of school at noon and some schools have early release once a week. It is so weird here. They also get 2 "spring breaks" one is called February vacation and the other is a normal spring break, they are both a full week.

joslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #18
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Do your schools have "early release days" all schools around here have 1-3 early release days A MONTH! So your kid gets out of school at noon and some schools have early release once a week. It is so weird here. They also get 2 "spring breaks" one is called February vacation and the other is a normal spring break, they are both a full week.
My oldest is in high school and my younger ones are not in school. But, I think the schools in the entire district are all on the same schedule. Anyway, they have about 1 late arrival day a month for teacher in service stuff. This is a change from before where they would have a couple of days totally off each quarter for in service.

In addition, this year they have switched to a "balanced calendar" where they start back Aug. 1 each year, have a 2 week "fall break" in October, a standard 2 week winter break at then end of the year/Christmas time and then a 2 week spring break March/April. They do still get Labor Day off, 2 days at Thanksgiving, Memorial day, all those standard holidays, as well as a couple built in snow days. But they have tried to eliminate random days off.

As for the February break...I have found that to be an east coast thing. We don't have that here in the midwest, but when I was working for a travel company, I learned that's a pretty common break period out eats. Lots of resorts booked up for "president's week"
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:04 PM   #19
EmilyA874
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
February break is pretty standard in the East/New England area. It is to try to cut down on the amount of snow days by having more break time in winter. A for early release days, that seems like a lot for a larger district to have. I know smaller schools and districts have more early release days to give teachers a time for prep. My DH taught at a smal three class room k-8 school and they had early release every Wednesday so that the teachers could get prep time. In a larger district teachers usually have a prep period where they don't have students, but that can't happen in smaller schools so much.
I am from Southern Ca and thought this stuff wa weird when I moved to Maine, but most of it makes logical sense. As for the classroom set up you saw at your local school....I'd personally run from it, but I also know that play is being phased out more and more in public education unfortuanately we expect way to much from such little people I think.
EmilyA874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #20
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our school system is similar to the op's. We have 6 elementaries, one has the autism group, 2 are set up for physical disabilities and the life-skills classes, one for behavioral. There are 2 that don't have anything special that I know of. I know they were thinking of adding another behavioral class at the one and the last one is in one of the poorer areas and is pretty big. The do tons at that school already.

In k our school gets 3 recesses but one is right after lunch and if you finish your lunch fast you get a longer recess. I would guess actually outside play at the other 2 is around 15min (once you take out lining up and stuff). I think they get 45min for lunch and recess. My son is a slow eater (first to start, last to finish) so he usually gets 15min lunch but the rest seem to get nearly 30min.

We have early outs every Wednesday.