Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-14-2012, 06:24 AM   #11
mel j
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Large kitchen or small kitchen?

Now I'm curious what is considered "huge" b/c thinking about it, our kitchen really isn't all that much bigger than my parents' kitchen, but theirs just seems tinier b/c they have so many more people living there... and there are even more of us there when we go visit. I think it's partly the way our house is set up, too - it just appears bigger than it is b/c it's very "open" and sort of attached to another room without a wall blocking it. It's definitely not "tiny", but there is a whole lot of space and I would still call it "big", and we're trying to make the best use of the space, but when we have family over, it seems like there's almost not enough space. I'm actually getting rid of stuff we don't need and removing stuff from the kitchen that does not need to be there, so in spite of it, I'm still trying to minimize. We're also using the space for other things since we use it for crafts and such and we also eat in there. I definitely don't buy things just b/c we have the room for it; stuff we bought, we actually use most of the time. Anyway part of the reason we decided on having a bigger kitchen is also because we know we may have a big family and the extra space will likely be needed. It's also great for guests and not having an extra room to clean.

Last edited by mel j; 09-14-2012 at 06:26 AM.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:37 AM   #12
Registered Users

I LOVE big kitchens, but it's not all about the size of it, it's about the cabinet/drawer/counter space that comes with being big, and a pantry is something I'd cut my pinky off to have again lol. The house I grew up in had plenty of all of the above. Then I moved out and into an apartment and I realized how much I missed all of that. I've lived in quite a few different apartments and townhouses and hated all of their tiny kitchens. The house we live in now has a decent sized kitchen but there's no counter space and it sucks so bad. We have a microwave, coffee maker and crockpot out all the time because we use them all the time (and there's no free cabinet to store them in if we wanted to), and I have just a teeny tiny space free. I can deal with tiny bedrooms, bathrooms, living rooms, whatever, but if I ever move again the main thing I'm looking for his a huge functional kitchen.
ThriftStoreJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:
I'd be fine with a small kitchen with a lot of cabinets, counters, and a pantry. My last kitchen wasn't huge, but had more than enough room and was very open with an island. My current kitchen is packed with 3 countertop appliances and a microwave cart. And I have to put pans in the oven for storage.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
~Cassie~ Single Mom to Jordan 9/04 and Jaxon 6/06 and Kelli 10/08 and 1/11 and Jevin 12/11
Check out my gallery! PM me for YYMN and other knitting needs.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #14
Registered Users

I think what you have you will use. I have 5 children and have always had old houses with tiny galley kitchens, but big dining rooms. Its crazy when we all cram in there at once, but its fun!
shannychi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:05 AM   #15
Funky Birdie Boutique
Registered Users
Formerly: chefwendybird
My Mood:

You know I'm in a similar boat as you,folks always had dreamy kitchens but now my mediumkitchenfeels like a dream after my not-so-dreamy past few kitchens! Lol! Nice to be made appreciative of the lil things right?

Baltic amber teething & healing jewelry
Come join us:
Funky Birdie Boutique is offline   Reply With Quote