Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-15-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
TheFlare15
Registered Users
seller

10 month old refusing bottles when I'm away...but since it's infrequent, is it ok?

Feedback please. Nathaniel is 10 months (Nov 11). He was a stinker about taking a bottle from ~6 wks-3 months, and then took it like a champ for months. Last day I worked 8/21, he refused for Joe (DH). Joe was able to bring him in to nurse on my dinner break, but that is not always an option (hospital supervisor, & on page for all sorts of stuff including codes, etc). That bedtime it took 3 attempts to put him down, & during the second attempt he grudgingly took 2 ounces.

Thurs night (9/13) we went to see a show & had a sitter ~7-1145. I made sure he nursed well prior & we warned the sitter. Sure enough, he refused again. He did ultimately go to bed for her after she rubbed his back for ~ 15 min in the crib.

I hate to see him upset (not for whole time), but I'm leaning towards thinking it's not such a big deal at this point...which is where I'd like feedback. I've only been working 2 shifts/4 wks (3pm-11pm), & for the last & current schedule I actually only got 1 shift since there weren't many per diem needs (so 8/21 & 10/7). Beyond that, I am rarely gone for long stretches of time (not counting <2 hrs here & there); the occasional date night (like 9/13) and the occasional girls' night out (9/26).

He LOVES table foods. Overall, his intake is probably 90-95% breastmilk (I'm hoping to toddler nurse, plus I believe in "before 1, just for fun"), but he will eat anything & everything. He will also take water from a straw cup great since that's a treat to him. Is it worth pushing the bottle issue at this point (since he darn well knows how) or do you think it's ok for him to just do a few extra foods while I'm away (with pumped milk available in case my stubborn boy decides to take it). & on nights I'm away I always go in & do a "dream feed" to make sure he's full for the night. Thoughts?

Advertisement

Old 09-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
TheFlare15
Registered Users
seller

Re: 10 month old refusing bottles when I'm away...but since it's infrequent, is it ok

Girls' night this time is going to "wine school" with a friend and should only be 3-4 hrs out of the house. Next long stretch will be 10/7, b/c 3-11= leaving 220, getting home 12 usually...but he will be a few days shy of 11 months by then. Thoughts?
Old 09-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
LadyLaurelin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 10 month old refusing bottles when I'm away...but since it's infrequent, is it ok

This is just my opinion, but I thought I'd chime in since I went through the same thing and believe basically the same thing you do about table foods before one. I wouldn't worry about it too much. At this point he's old enough that it won't hurt him any to not get the milk, especially since he'll drink water so there's no worry about dehydration. Maybe you could even try milk in a cup through a straw... or a sippy cup... my daughter went off of bottle about 10/11 months due to this very same reason... I think she hated them all along but knew she had to do it to get milk when with the sitter... she'd only take a little... but she just nursed constantly when I was home...
LadyLaurelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
m0mof6
Registered Users

My Mood:

At this point I wouldn't worry. YDD never liked bottles either and drank about 3 oz every time I worked. I stopped for summer (sub teacher) and although she still eats a ton from me when I'm around she takes none when I'm gone now. She does eat solids. I had one who wouldn't take bottles at all and I still had to work. from 6 weeks she went without milk for 7 hour stretched but even with that she did fine.
m0mof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:34 AM   #5
SarahS12
Registered Users

I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe try it in a sippy cup now? My DS never took a bottle and has been getting bm from a sippy since 4 months old. I work 10 hour days and he gets a sippy in the morning and nurses in the afternoon on my break. He gets solids the rest of the time and nurses in the evening and during the night.
SarahS12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #6
TheFlare15
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the replies I think I am going to have DH try it in one of his straw cups next time. I cross-posted this on another site in a mommy group I'm part of (from our Sept '07 babies; many moms have gone on to have more babies as well), & several moms there also suggested trying it in a cup. I'll try to post back in a few weeks & let you guys know how it went. Thanks again!
Old 09-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #7
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

We had to "trick" DS into taking it from a straw sippy since it was all fake choking/gagging/drama on a bottle. It worked for us. Good luck
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote