Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-10-2012, 06:54 AM   #11
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:
Re: Question...low amniotic fluid??

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
Her baby doesn't seem that small to me? Mine were both only 7 pounds or less at 40 and 41 weeks.
To me that seems really early for delivery based on low fluid measurements alone, which are not very reliable.
Evidence based birth blog recently had a post with the studies that pertain to the issue that you might find interesting.
Many women never have their fluid levels checked; who is to day that their levels weren't "low" also?
We don't know if it is based on low fluid alone because we don't have access to her record, and we're hearing this third hand.

Also, I read that article from Lamaze, and what they are talking about is uncomplicated oligo, which means oligo from dehydration. If her fluid levels are low from dehydration alone, then there is no reason to induce, just hydrate the mama. But, if there is also something that shows that there is something wrong with the baby, such as growth, then that baby is better off being induced. The Lamaze article really skips over that. They also don't mention one of the most important functions of amniotic fluid - lung maturity. I wonder why they left that out. And in addition, they never talk about low fluid in the second trimester, which is a very serious condition. It's like they are trying to gloss over/ignore the complications and poor outcomes that are associated with oligo.

Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012, 07:21 AM   #12
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I guess one of the problems is that it's hard to really judge baby's size, so how do you know that the baby really has low fluid + IUGR when both are hard to measure?
It would be a tough choice for sure, but one that really should be informed. Babies born that early can still have lots of issues, so how sure are they that baby would be better off on the outside, especially based on what we know now about how the brain is still developing and not really ready for life outside the womb?
Obviously none of us are the doctor, but the OP posted this for opinions, so that's why I'm giving mine. I can only go on the information given, and since we know that low fluid and IUGR are hard to judge, if I were in that situation I would probably ask for more time.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:16 AM   #13
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

But baby weight and AFI are not that hard to judge. In the article you posted there is a 10% margin of error for AFI. I found 15%, but that lowers if the fluid is lower, so the lower the fluid, the more accurate the tests are. Hers would need to be off by 100% to be in the normal range. Also, baby size is not AS accurate in late pregnancy as it is in early pregnancy, but that doesn't mean that it is useless or inaccurate. I am also assuming, based on my own previous prenatal care, that they will do another u/s for AFI and growth before they start the induction. They are giving the baby another week to see how it does, which sounds pretty conservative to me. They will probably repeat the tests and see how things are. When I was getting BPP with my oldest, I had one every week, and the trend was also important.

Late pre-term infants do very well, actually. And in fact, they have a mortality rate lower than post date babies ( we'll see if this link works, I hate PDFs https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...cfB_5ekMYBeZLA From the CDC, page 6 ). Long term prognosis for those babies is really good, too.

Sometimes pregnancies need help. Legitimately need help. And decisions about medical care should be made by a woman in conjunction with the expertise of her care provider. That's why they go to medical school, it's not just for fun.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #14
apurkeyp
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniebees
But baby weight and AFI are not that hard to judge. In the article you posted there is a 10% margin of error for AFI. I found 15%, but that lowers if the fluid is lower, so the lower the fluid, the more accurate the tests are. Hers would need to be off by 100% to be in the normal range. Also, baby size is not AS accurate in late pregnancy as it is in early pregnancy, but that doesn't mean that it is useless or inaccurate. I am also assuming, based on my own previous prenatal care, that they will do another u/s for AFI and growth before they start the induction. They are giving the baby another week to see how it does, which sounds pretty conservative to me. They will probably repeat the tests and see how things are. When I was getting BPP with my oldest, I had one every week, and the trend was also important.

Late pre-term infants do very well, actually. And in fact, they have a mortality rate lower than post date babies ( we'll see if this link works, I hate PDFs https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...cfB_5ekMYBeZLA From the CDC, page 6 ). Long term prognosis for those babies is really good, too.

Sometimes pregnancies need help. Legitimately need help. And decisions about medical care should be made by a woman in conjunction with the expertise of her care provider. That's why they go to medical school, it's not just for fun.
Yes, exactly that. Well said.

Not every pregnancy is perfect and tests should not be ignored. The goal is alive, even if it means coming out early.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #15
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thank you all for taking time to share your thoughts and experiences. I was blessed with 2 healthy pgs and never had a reason to get tons of info on possible issues.

I have sent her the link that was mentioned...I think it will help put her mind a little more at ease. I know they are doing the steroid shots to help with lung development.

I will update you more when I know more!!

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #16
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Well...Kaitlynn arrived on Friday. 4 lb 12 oz and 17 inches long. She was in the cpap for 18 hours and oxygen until today. She's not nursing at all so they have a feeding tube in. She is doing well but her breathing is too fast and her heartbeat is too rapid for their liking.

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote