Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-16-2012, 06:43 AM   #11
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Diet for preventing structural brain abnormalities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyblackdot View Post
Folic acid is very important in neurological development. So I would be sure to take a supplement for that.

Just because there was no chromosomal abnormalities does not mean that there was not a type of genetic mutation, most likely completely sporadic
Very good point about the folic acid.
And the chromosome vs genetic stuff is true - lack of one doesn't mean lack of the other. I don't understand this fully, but we were told the same thing by our geneticist with Elliana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
Your baby isn't really getting the food you're eating until the placenta is formed roughly around week 12. (If that's actually not correct, please correct me).
The placenta begins forming by 8 weeks, and can start "working" then, although it is not fully developed and does not fully take over (from the yolk sac) until close to 12 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirasmom View Post
I know all of those things, kwim? I'd just kinda like to give myself something to focus on other than worry....if that makes any sense at all. The day we found out I started taking my folic acid more regularly and increased it just because I knew we'd probably start trying again when we could. The whole situation just stinks I know lots of mamas have been there before me. Thanks for the nice words
I understand wanting to have something different to focus on, and wanting to have some control over things. If it helps, by all means do what you need to do, kwim? Noone can tell you what that is (or isn't).

Advertisement

canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:15 PM   #12
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Check out this link
http://www.westonaprice.org/children...ption-to-birth

I beleive that diet is VERY important to the development of the baby, and that there are things you can do to reduce the risk of birth defects other than take supplemental folic acid. A diet rich in whole foods and nutrients including folate, vitamins A, D, and K, plus choline, omega fats, etc...

There's also a book called "Real Food for Mother and Baby" that is really great.
I would definitely recommend waiting a bit to improve your nutrient stores before TTC again. I'm sure that's hard to do...but it can make a huge difference. Traditional healthy societies always spaced children 3-5 years for the health of the mother and future baby.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #13
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516
Check out this link
http://www.westonaprice.org/children...ption-to-birth

I beleive that diet is VERY important to the development of the baby, and that there are things you can do to reduce the risk of birth defects other than take supplemental folic acid. A diet rich in whole foods and nutrients including folate, vitamins A, D, and K, plus choline, omega fats, etc...

There's also a book called "Real Food for Mother and Baby" that is really great.
I would definitely recommend waiting a bit to improve your nutrient stores before TTC again. I'm sure that's hard to do...but it can make a huge difference. Traditional healthy societies always spaced children 3-5 years for the health of the mother and future baby.
Thanks!!
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #14
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Your welcome I'm sure I'd be having very similar thoughts if I were you. My main concern with finding out that I was pregnant with my son was that I was still nursing my toddler heavy-duty and hadn't had time to build myself up the way I was planning. I had planned to TTC when she was 2 and nursing a lot less, but instead had a surprise with our son when she was only 15 months old. It's all okay now, but I really believe that it wasn't optimal for my health or his. Not that there was a lot I could do about it after the fact
Old 09-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #15
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Im so sorry mama

Folic acid before and during. Lots of greens!
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote