Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-16-2012, 05:45 AM   #21
KnitterBug Creations
TJsmommy is my *old* DS name
seller

My Mood:
Re: what made you decide to homeschool?

Our first choice was not to homeschool. We wanted to send DS who is in Kindergarten to a private christian school near where we live. We visited last fall and were impressed and wanted to get going on the app process but it is an expensive school and we did not qualify for much in the way of financial aid. So we could not send him. Homeschool was our second choice because my husband was homeschooled and a lot of peole we know homeschool so i knew i'd have a lot of support. It turns out that I really enjoy homeschooling and DS loves it.

I'm not sure we will continue through 12th grade, but for now that's what we are going to do. I'm not a big fan of the public school so I dont think that will be an option for us.

Advertisement

KnitterBug Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:56 AM   #22
jamiejo
Registered Users
seller

Lots of reasons, and they've changed from what they used to be. I was HSed 2-12. DH on the other hand is the son of two retired PS teachers. his mom taught 4th, and his dad taught highschool photography, computer, shop and a few other random things. My ideas of what school should be and his have been two different things. I was terrified to send our son to PS and DH was equally terrified of keeping him home. Last year, we sent him to kindy. He had such an amazing year in school, and a fantastic teacher. having such a positive school experience last year took the fear out of the equation for me. My negative outlook and fear of public school is gone. I know it can be terrible, but I also know it can be wonderful, and that I can be involved in his education as much as I want to be wether or not we homeschool.
So, fast forward to this year. Mostly, i've always wanted to HS my children. Always. But it wasn't right before, because it was for the wrong reasons. Namely fear of the unknown. So this year, now that I'm no longer scared of PS, I found that quiet voice telling me that this year, we needed to homeschool. Actually I found it rather confusing. I prayed about it all summer. Started researching curriculum and found what I felt was the right fit, and showed it to DH. to my utter shock he said, "That actually sounds really neat. Lets try it" Turns out I wasn't the only one God was talking to.
So my number 1 reason right now is that we're doing this because it's what God wants us to do, and in that place of listening and doing we're being blessed as a family.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #23
amandabarugh
Registered Users
seller

Our main reasons:

1. Our oldest has ADHD and ODD, as well as SPD. We are very concerned about her ablility to get a good education when our local district does not have the set-up to handle children like her. She needs constant one-on-one teaching right now to stay focused and learn, and she would not qualify for that in our local district.

2. We cannot afford private school.

3. I like the idea of being able to tailor my children's education to directly fit their development level.

4. I take issue with what is being taught in Texas schools right now. I have a problem with the idea that my state government is trying to remove the teaching of critical thinking skills, and don't get me started on the new state history text books. I also have a problem with our Govenor thinking that creationism MUST be taught alongside evolution. I am Christian. My husband is Jewish. We believe in some form of creationism, but we are strong believers in science and evolution. We do not want someone that we do not know teaching our children about creationism. That is our job as parents.