Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-15-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
themamageek
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

I am so impatient...

I feel bad because I am so impatient. Really. Does it get easier with time and as kiddos get older?

What do you do with babies (8 months) when working with older LOs?

Advertisement

themamageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:24 PM   #2
stephie_j24
Registered Users
seller

Re: I am so impatient...

Ugh, no help here but I'm with ya! It takes DD for. ev. er to write words. And the getting off task business... I have had a hard time keeping my usual patient self lately. I'll plan something out, thinking it'll take 20 minutes, then it takes an hour and a half... super impatient mama.

No help with babies, my "baby" is 3 and likes to do school. Good luck with that
Old 09-16-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
cedavid2011
Registered Users
seller

I feel for you mama. We are in the same boat. My youngest is 10 mos. and some days nothing works but holding or wearing her while we do school. I have tried putting her in her high chair with finger food or toys. Either of those things usually only last 10-15 minutes if I'm lucky. Having the older ones take turns occupying her for short periods works sometimes too. I try to read aloud stuff with them when I am nursing her, and we get some stuff done during nap time.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
3boys_mom
Registered Users

Nap time is when we try to get most lessons done. Or early in the day before the younger two are even awake. <we are SO NOT early risers....

And I feel the taking forever to write stuff as well. Both of my older boys (4th and 2nd graders) will take hours to get written work done if left to it. Seriously the other day, while checking on the 9yo's work....went back a half hour later and he only had two more words written, really TWO!?!?!
Old 09-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
dressagemom
Registered Users
seller

Haha! I used to pray for patience, and God, in His wisdom and with his sense of humor, gave me 5 children. I am far more patient now than I was 15 years ago before DS1 was born.

In all seriousness, I try to keep a bunch of puzzles and games on hand for my littles. When they are really little, I wear them in a baby carrier, nurse, etc. to keep them happy. I also try to keep a few things/activities just for school time. For school work that requires a lot of my undivided attention, I wait until the little ones are sleeping in the afternoon. That way, I don't have to worry about what they are doing, how they are fussing, etc.

I think it does get easier as they get older, simply because they can entertain themselves more easily with less help from mom.
dressagemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:35 AM   #6
lisathib123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I don't think it's the littles that are the problem......it's the teaching how to read and write that will drive a momma off a cliff. I agree with waiting until nap time. also.....expect it to take long then you won't be disappointed
Old 09-18-2012, 08:54 AM   #7
cbreeding
Registered Users

I have my impatient days and sometimes i deal with it by breaking school up. Say one or two subjects after breakfast, then something else after an hour break, and finish up after lunch.

My youngest is just shy of a year and I try to save the subject that needs the most of my attention for his naptime. Otherwise we work around him (he likes to pull all the books off the shelf. Now that he is walking, he is often much to busy exploring to need to much attention. Although I still have to watch him like a hawk.
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote