Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #31
drkelli
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: what are your thoughts on this (asked to not BF)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
I'd go and nurse if the baby needed it.
This exactly. Your aunt is ridiculous.

Advertisement

Old 09-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #32
TaraB
Registered Users
seller
seller

my extended family have encouraged me to go to other rooms at family functions but say nothing when I feed at home or in public.

Sounds like it makes her uncomfortable. I tend not to purposefully make others uncomfortable so I just excuse myself and find a quiet place to nurse. Not worth the tension.

besides my guys always nurse better in quiet places

If her request offends you either dont go or address it.
Tara~Married to my wonderful DH and mama to my DS#1 4 years old and DS#2 2 years old
TaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #33
lildutch1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My in laws were a little shocked when I NIP but after a convo about the benefits and them seeing how discrete it was they are totally over it.
lildutch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:26 AM   #34
jessca06
Registered Users
seller
seller

Well I still haven't talked to my aunt. We weren't very close and I just don't feel like discussing it with her right now. My mom agrees with her and so does my grandma (which bothers me more).

I have talked with my mom and grandma. They are all saying that they are for breastfeeding, but not in a school and not around children around that age (my cousins are in 4th grade). My aunt also told my mom that the principal wouldn't have allowed me to breastfeed. They all say that I can't breastfeed in front of kids because it is up to their parents to explain breastfeeding to them and that it is not my place to "show" them (they're acting like this is sex education!). I of course wouldn't be showing them. I would just be feeding my child. If they were to ask what I am doing, I would say "feeding my baby."

My mom also keeps saying that my son can surely go the 45 minutes lunchtime without nursing...maybe he can or maybe he can't...maybe he is sleeping when we would've gotten there and wants to nurse when he wakes up...that isn't the issue though. The issue is that I was asked to not nurse and that they all see something wrong with it.

Apparently my mom is convinced that she is right and I am wrong because her friends all agree with her (and one is a nurse)

They're acting like I was going to stand up on the stage in front of the entire cafeteria, show both breasts, and announce that I would be nursing.

Thankfully my husband agrees with me and supports me because I am quite bummed that my own mother and grandmother don't.

There was a big family dinner recently and my husband and I decided not to go. I just feel uncomfortable around all of them--knowing that all of them think I'm doing something wrong--and don't see any reason to put myself through an evening with them.

My grandma and mom said I was very disrespectful for not going
jessca06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:01 AM   #35
Belbaby3728
Banned

Hugs, it's extremely sad the world we have grown up in and how boobs are viewed. Just do what you know is right/best for your baby!
Belbaby3728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:14 AM   #36
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulamomma
I would go, make sure to nurse at least once, and tell aunt to shove it. Kids need to know bf is normal, and if they never see it.....how is that gonna happen??
THIS! They need a good example set for them!
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:05 AM   #37
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: what are your thoughts on this (asked to not BF)? (update in #34)

I would have gone and flashed everyone. But I get really angry about things like this and am rude as a defense mechanism. Character flaw, but fun on occassion.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:14 AM   #38
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessca06 View Post
My grandma and mom said I was very disrespectful for not going
I would tell them you find it extremely disrespectful that they don't support your parenting choices, and it's not disrespectful in the least to not show up if you don't feel comfortable. I would tell them simply that you won't go anywhere you don't feel comfortable feeding your baby because of their attitude.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #39
hpfgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: what are your thoughts on this (asked to not BF)? (update in #34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
I'd go and nurse if the baby needed it.
Me too.

3T/4T Trainers, and Toddler AIOs for sale.
hpfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:27 AM   #40
JasmineMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
I would be tempted to do 2 things.

1- go and make a point of nursing and

2-have my husband take a pic of my baby nursing and have it put onto a shirt. Then be sure to wear it in front of dear old aunty.

My husband was on the Internet. He saw a pic of a baby and underneath, it said,"I don't always drink milk but when I do I prefer Dos Boobies.". We both thought that would be cute on a shirt with a pic of a nursing baby.
I love this!

ETA: Sorry OP that you are going through this with your aunt. I agree with PP that how will kids ever know that BFing is normal and healthy if they don't see it?

Last edited by JasmineMama; 09-18-2012 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Added more
JasmineMama is offline   Reply With Quote