Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-17-2012, 04:40 PM   #11
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange
DD is hopefully going into her first dance class soon. Ballet starts at 4 here, so it'll be the mixed part.

I would not not not not allow her to dance suggestively to an innappropriate song. I wouldn't even feel bad about contacting the director and asking, in advance, if they had chosen their recital songs yet.

It's going to get harder. Everything is so suggestive now. I feel horrible for kids that they're inundated with it when they don't even understand it. What kind of adult thinks it's cute for kids to do those things? I don't get it.

I will be a stick in the mud. I can't help it.
I wonder the same thing!! I so badly wanted to comment on the video we were watching to the other moms but one had an older daughter (10) and the other one wasn't chatty. Sadly though I think it is the minority to be concerned about young kids and pop music and so many people find it cute. Look at those 2 girls on Ellen. I cannot stand that they are so popular and the dance instructor asked my daughter what kind of music she liked and said "radio music" which means to me lots of people let their young children listen to the radio? Her favorite music is a VBS cd! I am surprised she didn't respond with awesome God, LOL

Advertisement

Last edited by umphreysmommy; 09-17-2012 at 04:41 PM.
umphreysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #12
Jennipenny
Registered Users

At the studio I taught at the music, costumes and dance moves had to be appropriate at EVERY age! The owner wouldn't allow anything else and frankly I agree - we don't need to see a 3 yr old or an 18 yr old acting inappropriate
Jennipenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #13
ChelseaGirl7
Registered Users

Re: For those with kids in dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennipenny View Post
At the studio I taught at the music, costumes and dance moves had to be appropriate at EVERY age! The owner wouldn't allow anything else and frankly I agree - we don't need to see a 3 yr old or an 18 yr old acting inappropriate

My sis has a dance studio and they do not teach anything inapropriate at any age. The studio she taught at before that also had a "modesty policy", all though it was a bit more "liberal" of a policy. And around here creative movement is mostly ballet, with a few rhythm and pretending games.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:04 AM   #14
missc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My niece dances, she's 12 and does the competition thing. My oldest dd is 4, and she would LOVE to take dance classes. But my husband and I are concerned about the same thing...at the dance competitions and recitals not only are the kids dancing to more suggestive songs and doing "on the edge" (IMO) moves, but their clothing was almost the worst part! I feel bad for keeping dd out, and I know she wouldn't do the competitions at first, but I don't even want to go there. It's sad, because she would love it so much.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:45 AM   #15
aries416
Registered Users
seller

My 4 yr old just started dance. No competitions and no costumes. It's ballet, so I can't imagine the music is inappropriate.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #16
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: For those with kids in dance

There are 4 studios here in town. 2 have dances that are more sexy & tend to have more gymnastics moves(pretty much like Dance Moms without that extreme craziness). 2 are more classical.

My kids go to one of the more classical ones. THe other classical one the owner used to dance & teach at my kids studio.

They do offer ballet, jazz, hip hop, lyrical, pointe, tap. The 2 studios that aren't classical have modern, acro-jazz & other dances like that.

The song choice for the recital may be picked already I wouldn't wait until near the recital to bring it up, however it probably won't change anything. I know at our studio it wouldn't. You don't get any say in song choice unless you're doing a duet/solo & even that depends on the teacher.

The song choices they did pick, honestly majority of those kids are probably listening to those songs & they're picked so the kids can enjoy the dance. They are also young kids they need a peppier song vs a classical song. There are kid version of quite a few pop songs & clean versions of them.