Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-18-2012, 06:07 AM   #1
Registered Users
Mamas of kids with kidney reflux

Hi mamas,
Our 3 year old was diagnosed with kidney reflex in May and yesterday we had a appointment with a urologist at our childrens hospital to discuss options/treatment. He said her reflux is a level 3 on a scale of 1-5. So not great, not terrible either. Right now he said he doesnt see surgery as a option because 50% of kids her age with level 3 reflux outgrow it, so he put her on a daily dose of antibiodic and we have a checkup with him in 6 months to do a ultrasound to see if its better, worse, same. .etc.
I guess my question here is - those of you who have dealt with this before- did you do the daily antibiodic? I know its probably the best thing for her right now but my natural organic mind has a hard time putting her on that daily.
Right now we do have her on a probiodic, multivitamin, silver shield and echinesea. We have a herbalist locally who gave us this regimen for her. She hasnt had a UTI since being on this regimen. But the echinesea and silver shield both say do not use for more then a few weeks at a time before taking a break. So I dont want her on that permanently right now either.

Shannon- Wife to my Techy hubs since 07,
SAH semi-crunchy mama to K{Oct '09} , A {Jan '12}
and Z {Aug '15}
mrscompgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
7 for now
Registered Users
My 2 yo dd has kidney reflux, grade 2 on both sides. She was diagnosed at 6 months old. Since she has potty trained I do not give her her daily antibiotic. I just can't bring myself to load her with them. That said I take her in at the first sign of a fever with no other symptoms to have her urine checked. We don't wait and see. She will usually spike 103 immediately with no other symptoms. When she was a baby it was hit and miss with them. We had to break the Macrodantin and put in food and she mostly refused it, she knew all my tricks. They switched her to liquid Bactim but we don't use it now.

Since she potty trained we have had no infections. I also give her showers and not baths. I would probably allow baths if I was comfy icing her daily Abx but since I don't we just do showers. She goes once a year for a VCUG and renal ultrasound.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
Docs Wife
Registered Users
Formerly: swags
My Mood:
My ODS has it. We have been very lucky that it has never bothered him, it was discovered by accident. When we was first diagnosed he was on Septra daily. The pediatric nephrologist told us about 6 months later that the recommendations had been changed, and because he was asymptomatic he no longer needed to take it. The only thing we have to do is have a Cath put in for a urine culture if he run a fever over 101.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using DS Forum
Docs Wife is offline   Reply With Quote