Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #31
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Birthday Party Favors

We did a Cars 2 theme 3rd birthday, and I had planned to buy or make I see bags or something like that, but when I found Mr Potato Heads w/ pieces for less then I planned on spending for each kid, so I got those. I also made crayons, the kids and parents loved both. I agree I hate cheap plastic stuff so I tried to think outside of the box and knew the kids didn't have the MPH's yet, and I know at least one of the kids, adores his new toy. Even though it didn't fit the theme, it seemed a hit.

I think of the suggestions so far the carmel apples, sugar cookies and coupons for return visit would be my favorites. I hate cheapy junk too.

Advertisement

Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:00 PM   #32
babynme8
Registered Users
seller
seller

If it's a character themed party I like to do fruit snacks in that theme and then the tummy ticklers juice bottles with the matching character heads in a small cello bag.
babynme8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #33
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

I hate favors, don't like them to come home from a party, don't like to do them to give away at a party.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #34
emeyer76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't do favor bags, but I do make sure that every kid has a crafty activity to take home, or something that ties in with the theme. For DS's 3rd b-day we did a puppy theme and I got small stuffed dogs and doggy baseball caps from Oriental Trading Co that all the kids used for activities and then took home. They also made "doggy bags" that we used to collect candy from the pinata (we had lots of older kids (family and friends) there, otherwise we wouldn't have done candy).

I love the idea of consumables or imaginative play toys that are used during the party and the kids can take home. DSs 4th b-day will be dino themed and I'll make dino tails for the kids and as an activity they will be painting "dino feet" to wear, and then I think we'll do a small "dino egg hunt" for some little prizes like tattoos or stickers or something. The kids can all take those home, but they won't be in a favor bag.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #35
NYCVeg
Registered Users
seller

I don't love little "goody bags." Around here, the norm seems more to get a single, small item for each child. The last party we went to gave out mini sketch pads with packs of colored pencils. The one before that was a Star Wars party, where they gave out light sabers (that was awesome!). One we went to over the summer gave out blow up beach balls and a pair of sunglasses.

We've also been invited to book swap parties where, in lieu of a present, every guest brings a book and then each kid takes one of the books on the way out.

One thing I REALLY hate is gender-specific favors. Dd often prefers the "boy" toy and hates feeling like she's left out of something just because she's a girl. Her favorite color is blue, and I remember her being incredibly sad at a birthday when she was around 3, because all the blue balloons were tied to the "boy" favors. She still talks about it, actually.
NYCVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #36
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I hit up the Target dollar spot for play dough. They had 5 packs for $1, so I split up the packs. I bought tattoos and cut them up so each kid got 3. Packs of bubbles are cheap, so I added one bottle per kid. I think I put packs of crayons and a little activity book in there too. We also did a pinata, so I didn't put any candy or snacks in there.

I don't mind getting party bags, but most of the toy stuff gets broken easily bc it's all cheap junk. That's why I put stuff in mine that gets used up instead of broken.

Last edited by Celeste; 09-18-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Celeste is online now   Reply With Quote