Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #21
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers

It all depends on the situation, definitely. What is necessary for some women, isn't necessary for all.
But I also believe that there's really not much we can do to keep things from happening - with Elliana's pregnancy I had the most care that I've had since my first pregnancy, and... well, she died. Even though I did everything "right", she wasn't okay. Sometimes things just happen, unfortunately.

They do a urine dip at each appt (whether with the family Dr, OB, or MW) here. I've never bothered refusing it because I always have to pee anyways!
That is true. Sometimes you can't do anything. Sometimes you can. It just depends on the situation.

I agree with the urine. I always have to pee, so whatever

Advertisement

mibarra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:40 PM   #22
jenbengtson
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: What comprises "unnecessary"

I don't do any testing, but the STD test and the iron test. I do the STD cause they will test baby here if I don't have it before the birth. The iron test cause i want to make sure my iron is good. We decline every other test, no pap, no quad screen.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #23
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange
I can't understand why regular blood or pee tests would be at all necessary simply because I don't get them. The military gives you the bare minimum and that means we do blood and urine at the beginning and not again.
Tricare will pay for regular urine tests. I am on Prime, but we dont have a hospital on base so we have to see a civilian practice. When they told me they do a urine sample each visit I asked if it was covered and they said yes.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:36 PM   #24
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayBunny
Tricare will pay for regular urine tests. I am on Prime, but we dont have a hospital on base so we have to see a civilian practice. When they told me they do a urine sample each visit I asked if it was covered and they said yes.
Everything during your maternity care is covered, fwiw. No need to even ask.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #25
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

well, right.. but on base, they only do what's medically necessary. Civilian doctors always do more and it's always covered.

I guess I should say 'medically necessary for a normal pregnancy'. Obviously someone who needs to have proteins or hormones or thyroid checks on a consistent basis is having something a little more complicated than a nice, normal pregnancy. Even if it's just a normal pregnancy with more required testing.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:11 PM   #26
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

Visiting in from the March mama group I am pretty hands off when it comes to pregnancy unless something odd or bad happens. Now that being said I am 28, healthy, very strict organic / healthy eater and no medical issues except a 28 degree twist in my spine. Here are the only tests I do that I feel are necessary,

- blood panel in early pregnancy and urine test. I feel that is important so they can check my iron levels to see if I need supplements (never have needed before but just in case) and to check to make sure I do not have a UTI which can complicate things.

- 20 week anatomy scan and gender reveal. I do not think this is needed but my husband does and I give in to make him comfortable. Plus the baby pic is fun.

- regular visit toward the end to make sure you are fine and the baby is head down. I would go the extra mile of turning the baby if he was not head down by 37 weeks.

-strep test. I have a history of getting strep throat so I do this test just to make sure.

Other then that I refuse all other tests and care except for monthly visits to my midwife. I think if you are healthy you can refuse most things but if something feels off you should seek help. Last week I randomly started bleeding for 30 min. then it stopped so we went in for a u/s to make sure everything was fine. That to me was necessary.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:42 PM   #27
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinpossible View Post
- 20 week anatomy scan and gender reveal. I do not think this is needed but my husband does and I give in to make him comfortable. Plus the baby pic is fun.

Other then that I refuse all other tests and care except for monthly visits to my midwife. I think if you are healthy you can refuse most things but if something feels off you should seek help. Last week I randomly started bleeding for 30 min. then it stopped so we went in for a u/s to make sure everything was fine. That to me was necessary.
I do think a scan at 20wk is important - not at all for gender, but to check on baby and see how things are developing. I really like for that to be the only u/s, though.
Yours was definitely necessary! And I think that's the important thing - being willing to change your mindset/decisions/plans based on the situations that arise.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:51 PM   #28
momneedssupport
Registered Users

My Mood:

The 20w scan will cost us $600!! Wonder if we canhold off until after the first of Jan so our health care.credit will cover it?!?
Eeek.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #29
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momneedssupport View Post
The 20w scan will cost us $600!! Wonder if we canhold off until after the first of Jan so our health care.credit will cover it?!?
Eeek.
you can. I mean, ours with DD was at like 25 weeks. With this baby, I think it'll be at 22 or so weeks.

I hope that your health care credit will cover it! That's a lot of money!
Old 09-19-2012, 06:42 AM   #30
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momneedssupport View Post
Eeek.
That's a chunk of $$. Shoot.

The problem with waiting is that they are able to get the best/easiest measurements when baby is between 18-24 weeks.
BUT, it's definitely something to talk to your Dr about. That is really a lot of $$, and right before xmas/at the end of the year... not the best timing.

AFM: I'm dreading this afternoon all ready! DD and DS2 have their first gymnastics classes, which is great and all... but it means I have to take all the kids, right after school (when m/s is usually starting to really kick in), to the gym and sit for an hour while DS2 has his class. Then I do get to bring everyone home while DD stays for her class. But I'm worried about having to get ready and go at that time.
Another few weeks will make all the difference, I'm hoping
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote