Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
ardeur
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Minimalist homeschooling

So we're familiar with simple-living and the minimalist lifestyle. Does anyone apply this to their homeschooling? How does that look in your home, if you're willing to share?

Advertisement

ardeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
lisathib123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I think I am a minimalist HSer. It works great for me. Too many posters, manipulatives, Teacher's manuals makes me crazy! Children will learn no matter how elaborate things are. You have to do what makes you feel comfortable.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
smplmama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Minimalist homeschooling

Our homeschool could be considered minimal, however mine are kindy and younger. We use the library instead of buying books. We use nature, free resources and community for learning a lot of things. I have a simple phonics program (explode the code series) and I don't keep a huge craft storage, just buying what we need as we go.

I hope we can keep our learning simple as the kids get older. renee tougas has a wonderful, inspiring blog, she is quite minimalist, the blog name is FIMBY or fun in my back yard, it will come up in google.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
R055ANA
Registered Users

Hi there!

Maybe our family is also considered minimalist since we use the library instead of buying books. I do have a nice collection of books we own. We also don't use a curriculum and really just make use of what we have at home.

I use lots of scrap paper (i.e. flyers, junk mail) to do our writing.

It is SO hard especially for homeschoolers to not get too much. Just today someone posted a message about homeschool materials she is selling. They are reasonably priced and I clicked on the link to see photos. They look nice but then I reminded myself that we don't need that stuff. Even though I have been very cautious about buying homeschooling materials people have passed on stuff to us and I am sure I won't even get to use it all.

It is wonderful to aspire to get less homeschooling materials and I am sure for most families it will make things easier for them as far as storage space and guilt over getting to much.
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
havingfun
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are pretty minimalist for what we use. I went with the Heart of Dakota curriculum (Little Hearts for His Glory) which has 2 History and 2 Science books that go with it. I am using my own Bible instead of one of the "special" ones. We are also not using all of the curriculum...just basically the History and Science. Most days we do a cut/paste/color project of some sort and our church gives the kids a weekly memory verse and daily bible reading, so we do those as well.
We use Funnix for Math and Reading, both on the computer. And I got the Handwriting without Tears workbooks which we are LOVING!
Seems like a lot written out, but it's not. I like that it is simple and flexible!