Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-18-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
havingfun
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Recommendations for a book series?

I'm searching for a book series to start reading with DS1. Something easy to understand and fun!

We are using HOD LHFHG but I decided against using the readers (Beatrix Potter, I think) that came with it. I've never really been a fan of those books myself.

DS1 has not been interested in books for a while. He loves the computer, his Leapster, my phone, basically anything electronic. He is 7 but with developmental delays. Kindergarten went so poorly last year we are kinda redoing it and hopefully moving into 1st grade this year too.

He is not an auditory learner, and I know that listening to me read is not on his "favorite things" list. But I do want him to learn to love reading. I'm hoping that if I find a series he really enjoys he will want to do it! Even a page or 2 a day to improve his comprehension skills.

Thanks for your help!!

Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Recommendations for a book series?

What kinds of things does he like? It would be best to choose a book series that focuses around his interests. You could even read longer novels if you have something he will be interested in. Some child friendly options include

Winnie The Pooh (the original version is my preference)
Frog and Toad (has the benefit of being easy to read)
Little Bear
Serendipity Books (these are harder to find but I personally love them and so do my boys)
Cat Wings (not a very long series but they are chapter books so each one would last longer)

These are some of the things my boys have enjoyed. My kids also loved the Harry Potter series and The Magic Tree House series. Harry Potter is obviously written for far older kids but my boys have loved it since they were tiny, The Magic Tree House is written for younger kids to read by themselves but you could read it to your son if you think he would enjoy it.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

We love little house on the praire. If he struggles with auditory stuff it would be good if you can find something with pictures every few pages at least to help keep him engaged. I've heard a lot about boys loving Magic Tree House, but we haven't tried those yet. Other than that I'm all because I've been looking for a good book series too.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
adjroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

Magic tree house!! Hardy Boys, Berenstein Bears, Encyclopedia Brown. Try reading books directly off a computer/ipod/nook? He might really respond to that. I was tutoring a seven year old last year and bought him a sight words app for his iPod, he loved it and would play it all the time.
adjroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #5
adjroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

Also Junie B. Jones. Read it with a distinctive whiny Junie B. voice and grown up voices etc. He will eat it up!
adjroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe a comic book series? There are some really good ones. Missile Mouse is one my son loves. Comics are sort of hard to read "out loud" but I just put my finger on which box I'm reading and let them figure out who's saying/doing what.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:24 AM   #7
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

We love the magic tree house series and Hank the cowdog series here.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:18 AM   #8
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My son LOVES the Magic Treehouse Books. He turns 5 on monday. He sits and listens to them and the chapters are short and fast paced. The books are short chapter books...right around 10 chapters and each chapter is like 5 pages. Even my 2 yr old DD will sit and listen to them, she loves the "Jack and Annie Books".
Old 09-19-2012, 07:57 AM   #9
briggsy13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my kids also love the magic treehouse books.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:59 AM   #10
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Another vote for Magic Tree house. DS is a very reluctant reader who far prefers non-fiction. These were a great balance for us.