Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #51
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessca06

The way I took it was that people were telling me to go and nurse--not necessarily to shove it in peoples' faces, but because baby was hungry and it was normal to feed him.

After driving to the school and then being in the lunchroom for 45 minutes, DS would have needed to nurse while there.
I saw those too. Maybe I'm misremembering... I thought I saw several 'go and make sure you nurse whether he needs it or not' type of things. I could be mixing and matching thread's in my head, though . Certainly if he needs to eat I would have fed him regardless of their protests. But I also wouldn't have gone out of my way to make sure he had to nurse, just because of their response, KWIM? It's sad your family isn't supportive, I would have been livid at them too!

Advertisement

Last edited by mibarra; 09-20-2012 at 06:41 PM.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:45 PM   #52
Connor
Registered Users
seller

I'm sorry but if 7 and 9 year olds don't know what breastfeeding is, they obviously need to see it. Their parents have had 7-9 years to teach them how our bodies are designed to feed babies. So be if it they "learn" about it from a stranger, def not your issue OP.

Last edited by Connor; 09-21-2012 at 01:06 AM.
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:55 PM   #53
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

I'd go and nurse. It's not the kids fault their mother is rude.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:56 AM   #54
Puppydog
Banned for 6 months for ignoring repeated request to attempt to be polite/respectful.

Re: what are your thoughts on this (asked to not BF)? (update in #34)

I remember being tiny and BF'ing my dolls.
When did it become a stigma or something to be debated. Its really sad.

OP. I'm so glad that you stood up for your baby and your husband supports you. I'm sorry about the rest of your family though.
Puppydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:09 AM   #55
foxynursejo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulamomma View Post
I would go, make sure to nurse at least once, and tell aunt to shove it. Kids need to know bf is normal, and if they never see it.....how is that gonna happen??

Sent from my droid
my thoughts exactly, i think its GOOD for children to see babies nursing. its perfectly normal.

I've donated 1,000 oz of mamas milk!

Babie's are weaned (32 months!), potty trained and I'm not BWing much anymore, but I still occasionally hang around here.
foxynursejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:41 AM   #56
jessca06
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
I saw those too. Maybe I'm misremembering... I thought I saw several 'go and make sure you nurse whether he needs it or not' type of things. I could be mixing and matching thread's in my head, though . Certainly if he needs to eat I would have fed him regardless of their protests. But I also wouldn't have gone out of my way to make sure he had to nurse, just because of their response, KWIM? It's sad your family isn't supportive, I would have been livid at them too!
You're right. Some people did say that. If I had gone, I know that DS would've had to nurse. It's a drive there and then we would have been there for close to an hour...then we would've had to drive home. He definitely would've had to nurse at least right before leaving to drive back home.
jessca06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #57
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

"my mom and grandma say I'm being disrespectful for not going..." that's ridiculous considering THEY are being disrespectful regarding your choice to nurse.

As far as the school thing goes.. that's ridiculous too. If you aren't flashing your boobs, then I see no problem with it, and I would have nursed there anyway.

I think I might tell my family .... "I nurse my son. It's how he eats, it's the only way he eats. And if my breast feeding makes you uncomfortable, and I'm not "allowed" to nurse my child around you, then I just can't be around you. It's not that I'm being disrespectful, it's that my child needs to eat. So I have to choose.. spend time with family, or feed my son with he's hungry. I'll choose taking care of my son every time."

I'm so sorry you're going through this.. but it's awesome that your DH is supporting you!

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #58
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessca06 View Post
You're right. Some people did say that. If I had gone, I know that DS would've had to nurse. It's a drive there and then we would have been there for close to an hour...then we would've had to drive home. He definitely would've had to nurse at least right before leaving to drive back home.
Makes sense. I certainly agree, feed a baby if it's hungry!! I hope things get better with your family.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #59
*LizziesLoops*
Registered Users
Formerly: angelami4
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd go and be sure to nurse just to spite her! She has no right to tell you not to nurse and the law is on your side. She can just get over it. Kids don't care about such things.
~Amy Eddie: Heather (1/7/2007), Mikayla (11/4/2009), an angel baby (3/29/11), and Michael Edward(3/22/12) We are now expecting baby #4 in January 2014!!!

*LizziesLoops* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #60
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
I would tell them you find it extremely disrespectful that they don't support your parenting choices, and it's not disrespectful in the least to not show up if you don't feel comfortable. I would tell them simply that you won't go anywhere you don't feel comfortable feeding your baby because of their attitude.
I'm also a Younique presenter. Click here for naturally-based beauty care!
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote