View Poll Results: Did your kids go "Back to Sleep"?
Yes, my kids always slept on their backs. 19 22.89%
My kids slept on their sides. 6 7.23%
Tummy sleepers, here! 14 16.87%
They slept in the position they were happiest (back, side, or tummy) 44 53.01%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-21-2012, 11:39 PM   #41
Alaga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by erlyjo

Just curious, but how would you then get a baby to sleep on their back who clearly wasn't comfortable in that position and cried when laid down? My first three had no problem sleeping on their backs, but this babe is different.
Try a Fisher Price Rock N Play Sleeper!! It's like a basinnet that rocks if placed on a hard floor and facilitates back sleeping, but on an incline (like a carseat angle). Both of my spitty/refluxy kiddos slept great in the RNP; it was our lifesaver!!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

Alaga
Mama to DD "A" 2/23/2010 and DS "L" 4/25/2012

Last edited by Alaga; 09-21-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Alaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:43 PM   #42
Alaga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by erlyjo

She has none of these symptoms, so it must not be an allergy. My DD1 had reflux, so I'm beginning to suspect that.
My kiddos are lactose intolerant, however have none of those symptoms, They're just really spitty if I drink milk (or eat yogurt, etc) while nursing. After I cut out milk products, the spittyness is drastically reduced.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Alaga
Mama to DD "A" 2/23/2010 and DS "L" 4/25/2012

Last edited by Alaga; 09-21-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Alaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:41 AM   #43
KingsDaughter76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Back to sleep, or not?

We use a Snuza monitor and allow them to sleep on tummies or whichever way they sleep best. We also co-sleep and have a crib if needed for naps if they are not asleep in our bed.
Kellina ~Wife to a Cowboy & Christian Homeschooling Mama to 9 kids and YES we would love to have more! Baby #9 is here!! IT'S A GIRL!! Born Oct 1st 2014!!
Forever missing my 7 m/c babies now safe in the arms of Jesus EARN Amazon giftcards for FREE!! Click to sign up for SWAGBUCKS!!
KingsDaughter76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:44 AM   #44
amegrl520
Registered Users
seller

We did back to sleep until they were rolling then I didn't care. My mom always gave me a hard time about it. It felt right for us though.

amegrl520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:08 AM   #45
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our first slept just fine on her back, but our son prefers his tummy. Once I realized that he would sleep a lot longer on his tummy I just let him do it, because we don't have any of the other risk factors for SIDS. I don't like to spend my life worrying about every little risk. Be informed, but make the right choices for your family.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:17 AM   #46
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Once they have strength enough to roll on their own, there is no need to reposition them. I don't think anything, anywhere, suggests that..
Old 09-22-2012, 07:43 AM   #47
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

With DD, I always put her on her back. She was swaddled until 6 mths. She slept GREAT. We co-slept and it worked wonderfully. I figured that people who didn't follow back to sleep must be lazy or something.

Then . . . I had DS. He HATED being swaddled. You tried, he screamed. He HATED sleeping on his back. You laid him down on his back and he was awake screaming less than 5 min later. He also HATED co-sleeping. After 5 days of a total of 45 min sleep per day, I decided that the risk to him for not-sleeping was greater than the risk of SIDS due to tummy-sleeping (since there is no proof of causation anyway, only association). I put him down on his tummy in his crib (firm mattress, NO soft bedding) and he slept for 7 hours. I checked on him constantly b/c I was so nervous. About 1.5 wks later, he was rolling anyway (he rolled over before he was 3 wks old). By the time he was 3 wks old, he was sleeping 10 hrs at night. It was heavenly.

I no longer hold negative opinions of those who don't do the current thinking. Sometimes, kids come along who defy textbooks. You go with it. I removed the other risk factors I could and let him tummy sleep, which also meant that I finally got some sleep. It was the right choice for us.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:43 AM   #48
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

Diapperswappers loves my posts
Old 09-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #49
Angel89411
Banned

DS1 likes to sleep in his back or side. Always has. DS2 was on his back til he could roll. Now he is a tummy sleeper and no point in fighting it. We co-sleep.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #50
erlyjo
User requested temporary ban
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanwenyi
With DD, I always put her on her back. She was swaddled until 6 mths. She slept GREAT. We co-slept and it worked wonderfully. I figured that people who didn't follow back to sleep must be lazy or something.

Then . . . I had DS. He HATED being swaddled. You tried, he screamed. He HATED sleeping on his back. You laid him down on his back and he was awake screaming less than 5 min later. He also HATED co-sleeping. After 5 days of a total of 45 min sleep per day, I decided that the risk to him for not-sleeping was greater than the risk of SIDS due to tummy-sleeping (since there is no proof of causation anyway, only association). I put him down on his tummy in his crib (firm mattress, NO soft bedding) and he slept for 7 hours. I checked on him constantly b/c I was so nervous. About 1.5 wks later, he was rolling anyway (he rolled over before he was 3 wks old). By the time he was 3 wks old, he was sleeping 10 hrs at night. It was heavenly.

I no longer hold negative opinions of those who don't do the current thinking. Sometimes, kids come along who defy textbooks. You go with it. I removed the other risk factors I could and let him tummy sleep, which also meant that I finally got some sleep. It was the right choice for us.
This is totally how I'm feeling at this point.