Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-20-2012, 06:19 AM   #1
Iluvbumpkins
Registered Users

My Mood:
Raw cows milk

Anyone else love raw milk and it's health benefits? I can't believe it's illegal to sell or buy what a bummer... Has anyone done there homework on that??

Advertisement

Iluvbumpkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
Just Ducky
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Raw cows milk

You mean on why it's illegal? Raw milk is more likely to cause disease outbreaks. The CDC has lots of information on the risks.

http://www.cdc.gov/Features/rawmilk/
Just Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There was a study in which store bought pasturised milk and raw milk was infected with ecoli. The store bought became a sespool while the raw faught off the invasion because of the benificial bacteria. It's legar in many places for animal use. We can't afford the $8 per gal though. It's easier to digest for lactose intolerant people. I really want to get a dairy goat for this reasion. Perhaps Cayden could have it? You have to be carefull where you buy and have a trusting relationship with the milker/seller. The utters have to be properly clean, clean hands and sterial equiptment.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
SFOducky
Registered Users
seller

we LOVE it..everyone here is lactose intolerant so it's such a relief to find something that doesn't hurt their tummies... it tastes so much better than lactose free milk and it never goes bad since when it's past it's prime it makes the yummiest yogurt and cream cheese! you do have to trust where you're getting it so definitely go check the places out.. we don't own a cow ourselves, we own a share of a cow which entitles us to so much milk per week. if some other family doesn't want milk that week for whatever reason then we can get extra..
SFOducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It;s not illegal everywhere. We buy it legally here. The dairy must be a licensed grade a certified raw milk dairy in our state. And pasteurized and raw cannot be sold out of the same store front. So the dairy we buy from sells raw out of a large commercial dairy cooler in a small room off the milking parlor at the farm, and their pasteurized milk products are sold at a store front in town. Another part of the state requirement is that we sign a waiver saying we know the risks. We pay $5 a gallon for our milk. In the summer months the cows have pasture access at all times (although not completely grass fed) but in winter months are fed silage and haylage that has been chopped and stored because our snow gets deep. We absolutely love the raw milk we get from them! Oh, and the best part, after searching all over the state for a legal raw milk dairy (there are only about 5 here) we ended up finding one less than 2 miles from our house! We thought we were going to have to drive an hour which made it so we wouldn't be able to use it all the time but now we get it closer than the nearest gas station or grocery store.

Last edited by slimy72; 09-22-2012 at 09:53 AM.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #6
Funky Birdie Boutique
Registered Users
Formerly: chefwendybird
seller

My Mood:

We love our raw dairy here too! We also own a cow share, our milk works out to a little less than $7/gallon, which is FABULOUS pricing for raw dairy in our area where it can range from there on up to $20/GALLON!!!!!!!!! Plus our farmer is amazing and enjoys my cooking, she is 'old fashioned decent' as she puts it, and she love to barter for milk as well so I can reduce our monthly milk costs when I have time to do large batch cookin' It's amazing stuff!!! Just a small example... my oldest went from 1 cup of milk a day consumption to THREE and when we do go out to eat, if we order milk, she won't drink it saying "It tastes watery mama". We will never go back! Once we read about the truths of commercial milking. Plus I love that I get to pet my cows and get to know my farmer, local eating is really amazing.

Baltic amber teething & healing jewelry
Come join us:
20% OFF FOR DS MAMAS ONLY, LIMITED TIME SPECIAL!!!!

Last edited by Funky Birdie Boutique; 09-23-2012 at 09:56 AM. Reason: I can't spell lol
Funky Birdie Boutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
basMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Wow, this sounds interesting. I really want to try raw milk, but I would have no idea where to get it.
basMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:36 AM   #8
Papayamom
Registered Users

Here is a good site to start with http://www.realmilk.com/where.html
Papayamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #9
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's the website I found our dairy on.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:03 AM   #10
Mamata3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have been trying to learn more about raw milk since we live in Japan and its at almost all our grocery stores. Any idea on where I can find the best info?