Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #81
shen7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I am sorry if I came off mean. From the thread title I expected it to be visited by vaccinating moms, so I didn't choose my words carefully to avoid offending anti vaxers. I responded to the OP directly. I know there are educated people who make different choices, I just don't have any in my immediate circle, and if I did befriend one I would likely have a long, rational, civilized discussion/debate about it, if it ever came up.

Advertisement

Old 09-22-2012, 04:56 PM   #82
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shen7
I am sorry if I came off mean. From the thread title I expected it to be visited by vaccinating moms, so I didn't choose my words carefully to avoid offending anti vaxers. I responded to the OP directly. I know there are educated people who make different choices, I just don't have any in my immediate circle, and if I did befriend one I would likely have a long, rational, civilized discussion/debate about it, if it ever came up.
We dont vax and neither does my kids ped. I consider both of us educated people but her very educated about medical topics. By the way- I dont going around telling people we dont vax. So I'm not sure how people would know my kids arent vaxed.

Amanda . Blaming my phone for typos and crap.
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #83
kricket24
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you believe in vaxing, but have friends who don't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
I hear this type of thing a lot-- that if we (my generation) had experienced the effects of polio, we'd appreciate vaccines more. That really bothers me. I'm honestly fine with the polio vaccine. But I wonder how many of us can name the other 13 diseases that our children are regularly vaccinated for without pulling out a cheat sheet. Were they all deadly or debilitating epidemics? Hardly. IMO, vaccines started out as a great idea, but it's gotten out of control as the CDC continues to add more and more vaccines to an already heavy load without sufficient evidence to prove that's actually the safest way to do it and the healthiest for our kids. Our children would NEVER be exposed to all those diseases multiple times before the age of 2 (like they are with vaccines). Granted, getting a vaccine isn't exactly the same as getting the disease, but the vaccine does elicit a similar immune response. With all we're finding out about our immune system, and auto-immune diseases and the effects of the chemicals in vaccines, you can't narrow the vaccine debate down to just the polio epidemic. It's much, much bigger than that.
I wasn't narrowing my opinion of vaccinations to "just" polio. I was stating my opinion and making a point. I agree there is room for improvement but I don't believe that's sufficient reason to not vax at all. Again, JMO. Our food is horrible and full of corn and GMO's but we still eat it. We just try to make the best decisions on what we put in our bodies. Delayed vax'ing is a good middle ground and something we did. However, I believe it's essential to protect my kids from some of the nasty diseases my grandparents, parents and I all experienced and I'd rather not take the chance that my kids have to go through any of that. I think if they found a vaccine for cancer, most people would rush to inoculate their kids to prevent it from happening to them because it's had such a profound effect on our generation. The same was true for other diseases in previous generations. We just don't remember (because we have vaccines) some of the horrible things they went through and how badly it affected them. Measles, mumps, rubella, polio, diphtheria just to name a few...no cheat sheet needed.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #84
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

This seems like its getting a little out there...
OP had a question and I don't think anyone on the last two pages offered any advice. Just a typical mommy war over who is more educated and why they chose to vax or not.

Autocorrect has helped me type this.
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #85
kricket24
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by myclanof6 View Post
OP had a question and I don't think anyone on the last two pages offered any advice. Just a typical mommy war over who is more educated and why they chose to vax or not.

In my original post I did say I would avoid because babies aren't fully vaccinated yet but I apologize for not sticking to just answering the OP. I know this is a sensitive subject for a lot of moms. Definitely for me since I have first-hand knowledge of diseases affecting my family so I got carried away. Sorry.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:53 PM   #86
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by myclanof6 View Post

Meh, threads take rabbit trails and tangents sometimes. No hard fast rule against it. I don't agree with the mommy wars of course but I did add to the tangent of our vaxing history.
So to appease some, my answer to the OP question: Yes I hang around those who don't vax. I have very good friends who don't vax. I've been around all ages of them from birth and up via playdates and LLL.
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #87
jessnchase
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy13 View Post
Omg who says that?!
I've actually had women say that to me too... I guess it's a regional crunchy mom thing.

Like I don't walk around saying "Hi! I'm Jess, my son is circ'd."
jessnchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #88
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by shen7 View Post
I am sorry if I came off mean. From the thread title I expected it to be visited by vaccinating moms, so I didn't choose my words carefully to avoid offending anti vaxers. .
I came in to see what people are saying about people like me. FWIW, my kids are the only ones of nearly 30 grandchildren that aren't vaxxed. And while my siblings don't agree with our decision, we get together all the time anyway and it's not an issue. Most of my friends don't know my children's vaccination status though.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote