Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-21-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
Registered Users
Potty training questions

My DD is 18 months & she's having her second bout with yeast infection. Getting so fed up with the infection not going away that I'm contemplating whether or not maybe its time to try potty training.

She DOES know what poo-poo is & will tell me when she's done it. (She'll also grab at her diaper & say "stinky.") However, the one time I put her on the little potty, she seemed to get really scared about sitting on it.

Guess my question is should I try to start? And if so, how do you get them to not be scared about sitting on it?

ncswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Take a book and read to her on the potty. Maybe take a book and read to yourself, let her see you. And I can't stress not forcing them to sit, especially at her age. If she wants off let her off, keeping her there would only frustrate you and anger her to the point of resistance or fear. My dd is 21m and we have her potty trained. The first day she pee'd all over, but each time I just scooped her up and said peeped in the potty, by the end of the day she was able to realize when she was going and finished after a moved heron the potty. By day 2 she could stop midstream on her own and finish on the potty, and at day 3 she ran over on her own to go.
You really have to be willing to 1. Spend time introducing the potty and bathroom as a casual part of the day. And 2. Stay next to them and focus all day to make sure they get it. I think lots of parents for get that changing your child's whole routine is scary for them, and essentially you are changing their routine when you potty train them. You have to introduce the potty before making it mandatory. If she wants to sit and go great, but still continue to introduce.
18m is a great window because they haven't really learned to resist you and say no. I think spending a week introducing and desensitizing her to the potty would be worth it at this age. Let her sit (teach to sit w/out pants), read, sing, and be happy there. Don't let her play with the potty though, it's only for poop or peepee, it's not a hat or a hole to step in :-)
Good luck!
Kristy~ISO: Sleep!

Is Someone Hurting you? You can talk to me 1.800.838.8238
krispy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
Registered Users
Re: Potty training questions

at first my dd was scared of the toilet, too. i was being persistent and just kept taking her to the restroom every 2-3 hour regardless if she has to go or not. overtime, she got the hang of it.
paggie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
Registered Users
Re: Potty training questions

i agree with you. 18 mos is the perfect age to potty train.
paggie88 is offline   Reply With Quote