Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-20-2012, 08:56 PM   #1
JulieHyphenAnn
Registered Users
seller

Flips & Flats users, please help.

Today a dozen small Diaper Rite unbleached flats arrived from Diaper Junction. 27" x 27" unwashed. I padfolded one and laid it in a Flip on the medium rise setting, and it seemed to fit beautifully. But I'm worried that after prepping and shrinkage, it will be too small for the medium rise setting! Agh! Should I try to get large flats instead? Or am I good to go? I need somebody to put my mind at ease. FYI, DD is 10 mos. and not a heavy wetter.

Advertisement

JulieHyphenAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:20 PM   #2
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Flips & Flats users, please help.

The regular or the large flats would work fine. If you don't like the way it fits after padfolding because it isn't long enough, try this. Fold in half, then fold *almost* in half again, so you have extra length. Then fold in thirds, and ta-da, you have a perfect fit. As long as the absorbancy is fine for your LO I wouldn't worry about it. But personally for me I would pick larges for a 10 month old, because it's not like they are too big, and you may need the extra absorbancy when she gets a bit bigger. But then again if you like the smaller size you could always just use two when she gets a bit bigger. That's the beauty of flats--any of them fit any baby!
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #3
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have both and I prefer the larges but my DS is a HW. Depending on how you fold them, either size works fine on the medium rise.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:16 AM   #4
momgoddess
Registered Users
seller

There are many ways to padfold a flat, so I'm guessing that you could make it work!
Old 09-21-2012, 01:01 AM   #5
mamajonathan
Registered Users

I use flips and flats about 50% of the time.
I have two sizes of flats ...one size is smaller than the other. I purchased both sets used so don't know officially what size they are.

My main comment is that, at age 8 months, I prefer the smaller flat on my baby. It's more trim and just fits better in the Flip cover. I CAN use the larger flats, but I just always reach for the smaller ones.

HTH!
mamajonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:22 AM   #6
JulieHyphenAnn
Registered Users
seller

Alright...hmmm. I guess I could make the smalls work. I got these flats because I wanted an insert that fit really well--unlike my prefolds, which are kinda funky any way I fold them. So I think I'll take the plunge and prep them. And if I end up not liking them right away, I can always sell them on FSOT.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:27 AM   #7
JulieHyphenAnn
Registered Users
seller

I'm just realizing how CHEAP flats are! I paid about $18 for a dozen. For flats to "pay for themselves" compared to disposables, I'd only have to use the flats for about two weeks. Wow!
Old 09-21-2012, 06:34 AM   #8
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes flats are awesome! I was using flour sack towels with dfs until he started using a sippy cup and flooding them, now we need the larger flats.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #9
JulieHyphenAnn
Registered Users
seller

Been using the small flats for the last two days and I'm totally sold! Now joining the "Why didn't I think of flats sooner?" club.