Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #11
CCorn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Considering HS in NC...overwhelmed

Check out this website: http://www.hslda.org/hs/state/NC/default.asp

Advertisement

Old 09-19-2012, 08:49 PM   #12
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
As for keeping to a tight budget, you really don't nees to buy much for kindergarten. I have Hooked on Phonics for K, which is on clearance at Target right now, fyi - in the children's book section - for $20 per level. There are two levels for K. I also bought Horizons math for maybe $30? I have the teachers guide, but you really don't need it. I am doing handwriting from free printables from First School (google it). That's all you need! You can certainly start up for under $100.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:20 AM   #13
momof3boysNC
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm in NC and I'm homeschooling a 2nd grader, kindergartener and pre-k.

Kindergarten:

I taught him how to read when he was 4 using 100 Easy Lessons, I really recommend it. He also started handwriting lessons: we used primary paper, I would write the letter with a highlighter several times and he would trace them, making sure to instruct him in proper strokes. Very easy and inexpensive.

Now at 5 years old he reads at a 2nd grade level and we are working through parts of Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading, so he can learn the rest of the phonics rules. We started at Lesson 27.

For extra phonics practice which also ties in some handwriting practice, he works in Modern Curriculum Press Phonics workbook Level K(which is actually 1st grade level).

For math we use Rightstart Level A, but only because it was given to us. We are halfway through the program and I wouldn't use anything else. My 7 year old is using Rightstart Level B. Rightstart is not budget friendly if you buy it brand new, I found Level B used.

That's pretty much it for kindergarten, he is learning a lot of science and social studies material from reading books and me reading to him.

I hope this helps in some way, there is a ton of stuff on the internet(my bookmarks are overflowing!). If you would like links or other information, pm me!
Due with monkey #6 in August
Etsy Shop
DS WAHM Page
momof3boysNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:22 AM   #14
meg28
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3boysNC
I'm in NC and I'm homeschooling a 2nd grader, kindergartener and pre-k.

Kindergarten:

I taught him how to read when he was 4 using 100 Easy Lessons, I really recommend it. He also started handwriting lessons: we used primary paper, I would write the letter with a highlighter several times and he would trace them, making sure to instruct him in proper strokes. Very easy and inexpensive.

Now at 5 years old he reads at a 2nd grade level and we are working through parts of Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading, so he can learn the rest of the phonics rules. We started at Lesson 27.

For extra phonics practice which also ties in some handwriting practice, he works in Modern Curriculum Press Phonics workbook Level K(which is actually 1st grade level).

For math we use Rightstart Level A, but only because it was given to us. We are halfway through the program and I wouldn't use anything else. My 7 year old is using Rightstart Level B. Rightstart is not budget friendly if you buy it brand new, I found Level B used.

That's pretty much it for kindergarten, he is learning a lot of science and social studies material from reading books and me reading to him.

I hope this helps in some way, there is a ton of stuff on the internet(my bookmarks are overflowing!). If you would like links or other information, pm me!
Thank you for this!!! So helpful! I totally might be taking you up on the Pm!!!!

SAHM to S 11/9/06 J 11/1/09 and M 10/27/11
meg28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #15
meg28
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste
As for keeping to a tight budget, you really don't nees to buy much for kindergarten. I have Hooked on Phonics for K, which is on clearance at Target right now, fyi - in the children's book section - for $20 per level. There are two levels for K. I also bought Horizons math for maybe $30? I have the teachers guide, but you really don't need it. I am doing handwriting from free printables from First School (google it). That's all you need! You can certainly start up for under $100.
Another super helpful mama!!!! Great tips thank you!! Gosh I am really loving all this genuine care and helpfulness. What a great group of ladies. Seriously.

SAHM to S 11/9/06 J 11/1/09 and M 10/27/11
meg28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:58 AM   #16
blessed3times
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi Meghan! I'm in NC also. I'm in Johnston County. I wanted to offer you a curriculum I used for my son in K. It's called Learn at Home. It's daily lesson plans for each subject. Super easy to use!! If you want it and we live close, we can meet for you to get it. If not, I'd be glad to mail it to you FFS.

With this curriculum, we had to visit the library often and I printed worksheets (writing paper, etc) if I needed them but it's a great source to give you ideas on what to teach. Let me know if you are interested!