Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-12-2006, 10:09 AM   #11
Severine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: recieved our hospital estimate....boo on united health care!

That is so insane. (((HUGS)))

I know when I had DD last year, the hospital bill was $11K. Unbelievable. But when our insurance company was done negotiating with them, they only paid $3K (our portion was $100).

We will have new insurance for the next one and I think our portion will be $1000. Which is a huge difference for me seeing as what we paid last time. Office visits will also be going up...from $5 to $20. Ugh!

Good luck! It looks like Kellyd gave you some excellent advice!

Advertisement

Severine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:09 PM   #12
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:

That is just plain crazy!! With ds I was still in high school and covered under my parents insurance. Of course that did not cover dependent pregnancies, the state said my parents made too much money and since I was a minor they could not go based on my income. We went with a flat rate for both the doctor and the hospital. The doctor cost was $1200 for the entire pregnancy including any and all visits and the ultrasound as it was in office. The hospital portion was $4800 for a 24 hour stay, no pain meds at all (yes, I am very proud of that) and no extras (phone, tv, ect). $6000 exactly to have a baby without insurance!! Thankfully my dad's boss rocks and wrote a check to cover it all plus sent the best gift basket of all time ~2 months worth of formula (as I could not breastfeed), parenting books and a big fat gift card to Babies R Us. My brother still works for that man, 12 years later and also my brothers first and only job, and he is as nice as ever (paid 1/2 of my brothers college bills to become an engineer). Sorry, got off subject.

I know it is close to delivery time. Have you been paying ont he hospital portion or do you still owe it? Can you just switch and owe the lesser amount or is that kind of like a prepay thing? Can you get state insurance to pick up what is not covered? Not sure how that all works but seems like you should be able to with all that money going out.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:40 PM   #13
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:

we were told to register last month (with first two ds's i had medicaid so i didn't realize this was a requirement...yeah i know that sounds really dumb). and it took them this long to send me the estimate. so no we haven't actually paid anything on it yet...i'm supposed to send them $200 next month.

we would switch and do the lesser amount but that has to be paid before delivery and as of now we only have 5.5 weeks left at MOST and we just can't do that. on top of that we'd have to redo the whole billing for our dr too and his unisured cost is $2400 (so we'd have to pay him another $2000 before delivery). so unfortunately even though in the long run it's MUCH more expensive we have to do it this way.

and we also don't qualify for medicaid so that's of NO help either. this is the first time we haven't ever qualified....IMO it's ridiculous that it be so diffucult to pay for a baby. for pete's sake we wouldn't have dr's if we wouldn't reproduce make it a little easier!

Mom to 4 boys~AJ~Dustin~Brighton~Tristan~ & 1 Angel Baby Ilori
& our 1 girly Baker, 8/13
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote