Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-24-2012, 01:10 PM   #31
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: danner
seller
seller

My Mood:
My daughter got home from preschool on Friday and said she did a scavenger hunt. What they found on the scavenger hunt were little candies that had the letter S on them. I called and confirmed they were Skittles. Prior to class, I had filled out the form requesting no artificial blobbity-blahs, and obviously it meant zilch.

In light of the new information I asked if they would allow me to provide organic gummy bears for future hunts. Best I could do, along with hope. I don't want Gigi to feel she did something wrong by being excluded. I'm just a bit annoyed though. I figured I'd chalk up birthdays but I didn't expect the teachers to hand out candy.

Anyway, a cautionary tale.

Advertisement

Old 09-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #32
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBooger
(Not sure where in the forum to put this, feel free to move )

After hearing a testimony from a friend who took her kids off gluten and dairy and saw significant improvements in their sensory processing disorders and hyperactivity, I did some research (not very extensive) and learned that there is a lot of evidence that a healthy diet and eliminating certain foods can really help with a child's concentration, mood, ADHD, Autism, etc. Although I don't believe my children have any actual allergies, I was too lazy to do a proper "elimination diet" with my toddlers, so after some research, I decided to do the following with their diet:

Eliminate all dairy
Limit Gluten
Eliminate all food dyes
Limit processed food as much as possible (causing me to have to learn to make a lot of things from scratch -- good for the budget, but not my favorite thing. )
Buy as much organic as possible, especially the "dirty dozen"
Eat more fruit and vegetables (bought a juicer) and less meat
Eat a variety of nuts and grains. We are discovering pumpkin seeds, quinoa, flax seeds, etc. Fun!
Generally eat REAL food and as much raw as possible

I was just curious if any other mamas are on this journey too? I've only been doing it for about a month.

I have DEFINITELY noticed a HUGE difference in my own mood and energy levels. I feel fantastic, and I haven't even incorporated exercise yet. I had no idea eating healthy on a daily basis would change my life so much. I'm not sure if I've noticed a huge difference in the kids or if it's just my imagination. They are toddlers, after all. But I feel good that they are eating real food, because that's what our bodies were designed to eat to function optimally.

Curious if anyone has experience with this and HAS seen a change in their children?
Havent read any other comments.

My son is 4 and has sensory processing dysfunction and maybe ADHD. I keep hearing that these diet changes might help him but it all seems so freaking overwhelming!

I figure it couldn't hurt to try though, right?

What items do you make from scratch?
What are the "dirty dozen?"

If we cut out dairy my daughter would starve. Lol. Ok, no really. But she does have days where the only thing she'll consume is milk, cheese, and yogurt. I'm nervous about replacing those things and finding things that are nutritionally equivalent. I feel like cutting out everything all at once would be really intense.

That's just me processing. Probably not what you're looking for. ;-)
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #33
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone Else Keep Their Kids Off Dairy? Gluten? Food Dyes? Processed Foods? Etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon View Post
Havent read any other comments.

My son is 4 and has sensory processing dysfunction and maybe ADHD. I keep hearing that these diet changes might help him but it all seems so freaking overwhelming!

I figure it couldn't hurt to try though, right?

What items do you make from scratch?
What are the "dirty dozen?"

If we cut out dairy my daughter would starve. Lol. Ok, no really. But she does have days where the only thing she'll consume is milk, cheese, and yogurt. I'm nervous about replacing those things and finding things that are nutritionally equivalent. I feel like cutting out everything all at once would be really intense.

That's just me processing. Probably not what you're looking for. ;-)
I did a full elimination diet with my boys and it was really intense, there were even some fruits and vegetables they were not allowed to have for the two weeks we were on the diet. In their case it did absolutely nothing. My boys are older and easier to handle as far as eating goes. They didn't love it but we got through it. We used the most extreme version of the Feingold diet. We removed, dairy, gluten, all food dyes, artificial sweeteners (those are already banned in our house because I have epilepsy), artificial flavoring, corn, eggs, soy, peppers (this one was a bit odd), berries, grapes, almonds, HFCS, and a few other things I can't think of off the top of my head. It wasn't a huge change to our diet but a bit because we are actually more towards vegetarian with eggs, some dairy and some fish (once a week or less) in our normal diets. I found that my oldest who is high functioning PDD NOS, SPD and anxiety NOS, did react to dyes in his food so those have stayed out for him. My youngest did not seem to change at all so he went back to normal. It isn't like we eat a lot of food with dyes in it anyway, we eat mostly home made foods (it is really just some treats here and there). The next move may be to try to focus on foods with artificial flavorings.

If it is too daunting to totally flip your diet at the start my recommendation is to pick one item and remove just that and see if you notice a change. First start a behavior chart for your children and track for a couple of weeks so you have a good base line idea so you don't get a placebo effect. I would start with food coloring and high fructose corn syrup. It isn't necessary in any way for good health, is actually bad for you, and while it seems difficult to get out of your diet at first is actually quite easy once you get started. If you don't notice a difference after just getting those out you might try removing other chemicals and "artificial flavors". Then move on to eliminating actual foods like eggs, dairy or gluten.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #34
MyLovely
Registered Users

Re: Anyone Else Keep Their Kids Off Dairy? Gluten? Food Dyes? Processed Foods? Etc?

I don't know that eliminating dairy and gluten are necessarily the best idea if you don't specifically have to. Especially if it means still buying gluten-free breads/pastas/treats, or consuming lots of soy milk. If you stick with whole grains, gluten isn't bad for you if you don't have an intolerance. A slice of whole-grain bread with no additives isn't bad for you, and can provide some protein and fiber. The same can't be said for GF bread. Same with dairy. If you're drinking soy milk, consuming soy yogurt and eating soy cheese, you're really not upgrading.

I'm a committed vegetarian and believe whole-heartedly that it is the best diet in terms of health and the environment. That being said, I don't rely on fake meat products. Chick'n nuggets are a rare treat, so are veggie burgers. I eat humane dairy products; milk (in extreme moderation, like half a gallon a month), cheese and butter. I keep some almond milk around for cereal and cooking. No HFCS, no dyes other than sour patch kids (). Lots of rice, beans, quinoa and lentils for protein. I'm not perfect, because honestly, I love french fries and pizza and I'm going to have it on occasion.

Not to mention, relying on fake meat/dairy products rather than local and/or organic/humane dairy is much harder on the environment.

I love love love the film Food Matters, it's on Netflix. It's quite vegan-focused, but has some great information and isn't exclusive to people who add in moderate amounts of humane eggs/dairy or even those who add in small amounts of humanely farmed meat.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:23 PM   #35
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't eat dairy, soy, corn or gluten. My DD won't eat those either. My family is gluten/soy/dairy intolerant as well.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #36
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes, we do this. Almost no dairy or wheat or sugar, but we can cheat once in a while. On Halloween my poor 3 year old was insane because we let them have candy- 10 pieces each! Next year we will go back to having them 'trade in' their candy for 'clean' treats and maybe some small toys.

I have been trying to get one of my sisters to do this for her son who has ooc tt's and she is very reluctant. I hope she finds someone else to suggest it and she gets convinced. The poor kid is so wild and cranky and she is miserable. It makes SUCH a difference.
momomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #37
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

I used to be a lot more hardcore about what we ate. Not gluten or dairy free or any other required restrictions, just more whole foods, more organics, purposeful avoidance of certain things like hfsc and preservatives, etc. I was working to overcome GMO's, like corn, soy, and sugar beet products. But life and finances and time all got in the way and every other family member has been highly resistant of even slow diet change, so we're back to where we started, essentially. And you know what? I feel like crap almost all the time. I'm tired all the time. My gut is a mess if I don't take a fiber supplement every day. My oldest is an emotional wreck. Hubby is tired all the time. Our sex drives are lacking. Do I think it's the food? Yep. Is there anything I can do about it? *sigh* I don't know.

Part of the problem is that *I* don't like lentils or collard greens and a bunch of other healthy stuff. So I never serve it and therefore no one else in the family will eat it. Even the veggies I do like are rarely served because I'm the only one who will eat them. Not worth even cooking when I'm pressed for time as it is.

It's a cycle I don't like being in at all. I want to feel better, I know the high price of good food is worth it, but over my dead body am I spending that kind of money on uneaten food. Whether my kids were born picky eaters or I made them picky - I have no idea, but I don't even know where to start to fix this mess we're in.

That said, we are trying to eliminate food dyes from my oldest DD's diet. She's an emotional mess and I want to see if it helps her. Preliminary evidence suggests that she IS affected by dye, but it's still an ongoing process.

I have nothing to add, really, since the only thing we've even ventured into is hfsc and dye, but hats off to anyone who can get their kids to eat super healthy foods all the time. I saw a picture of a friend's kid on facebook eating lettuce and tomatoes and rice (like the inside of one of those fancy burritos) and I was insanely jealous because none of my kids would touch any of that with a 10 foot pole.

But as it stands, I'm just a health food wannabe at this point.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #38
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wish! My son is tube fed, allergic to soy, and only gets Peptamin Jr (hypoallergenic formula). He still is a sensory mess!
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #39
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyH View Post
I don't know if going dairy/gluten free has as much impact as going GMO free. It's really interesting if you want to do some research on the health impact of GMOs. Many people remove GMOs from their diet when they are "allergic" to gluten, dairy, etc... And find that they can reintroduce the previously "allergic" foods in non-GM form and they no longer have an inflammatory allergic response.
I removed gluten and dairy for myself for one year to heal my endometriosis. It is the only thing that helped me. I accidentally had three non gmo multigrain chips in my chili and I had a horrible reaction to it. Eating bin gmo might work for people without a true intolerance, but it doesn't for me. I was so well before he accidental ingestion,but have been in pain for 7 weeks from 3 little chips.