Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #41
Jedimomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homeschooling check-in

I want to join in!!

My ds is in 3rd grade (MFW ECC) and my dd is doing HoD Little Hands to Heaven. She's 3. My other dd (11 mo) is just underfoot all the time. lol We're only into our 3rd week of school for this year and I feel like things are still pretty rocky. We haven't figured out a real great routine yet. We haven't done school yet for the day today, but will get to it after lunch (errands and junk got in the way this morning ) After lunch is definitely not ideal because the kids are in a much better mindset in the morning, but today it was unavoidable.

I'm getting really aggravated with my DS's attitude. I thought this wasn't supposed to start until the teenage years! I try to nip it in the bud as much as possible, but he can REALLY push my buttons. Then I get angry and neither of us have the right attitude.

I'm still seriously struggling with keeping up with housework, but I've found that if I can just FlyLady it (15 minutes at a time! lol) it's at least moderately tolerable.

Wow... I thought this would be a positive post, but now that I'm putting it out there, things are really not ideal around here... Hoping that another week or two will help us find our groove and things will get better. This is my first year HSing more than 1 child. Many more to come, so I better figure it out! lol

Advertisement

Jedimomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #42
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've been reading along and would like to join in. It's too crazy right now to really post on school stuff, so hopefully I'll have time tonight.

I have an almost 12yo (as of tomorrow ), a 9yo, a 4yo (who attends pre-k 5 mornings a week), and then I have dc kids to contend with 2.5yo, 2yo, 10mo, 7mo, and 5mo.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #43
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Wow, Kristin that sounds busy! That's a lot of littles to worry about on top of homeschooling and regular household stuff.

I'm really enjoying reading up on what everyone is doing....this is going to suck up way too much of my time!

Today has not went as planned but it has been a good day. We were talking this morning about family structure with God at the head (which was not in the lesson plans, lol) and how it goes out from there. So then we decided to make a huge poster for DH/Daddy for all he does for us. So the kids wrote "Thank you Dad, for taking care of us" and then they drew several pictures about it (going to work, cutting wood, playing games, ect.) and then we put all our handprints on it. We're leaving it out for him to find when he comes home, because we won't be there then. He'll be super thrilled.

Then (also not in the lesson plans) my children took it upon themselves to sweep the whole house for me. They're wonderful little people. The oldest one said that they were going to take tomorrow off, then sweep it again and that would cut down on my work. I'm not holding my breath for that to happen, but they are so sweet.

This afternoon will be long--they always are on Tuesday. I have the kids eat early and go to nap/rest early because we leave at 2:30 for gymnastics. They love gymnastics but the LO needs her sleep. She has gymnastics at 2:50, then we wait around in Willow until 6:45 for my older girls gymnastics class. It's fun sometimes, but can get kind of old. We go on walks, play at the park, catch up on homeschooling, picinic and that kind of thing. Maybe we'll make up for the stuff we didn't do this morning!
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #44
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

Today went great! I really like having an older, more independent learner, b/c if I'm not feeling well (like this morning), he can just do his work on his own since I have all of his assignments for each day written down for him.

Today we started the sign language course, and DS really likes it! We both had a lot of fun with it!!

DS told me today that he has never liked school as much as he does now since he is home schooled. He likes it so much, that he usually has half of his work done before I even wake up in the morning! LOL It makes me feel really good about our decision to home school, like it really is the best choice for us.

Also, we are Christian, and we go to church, but DS is really active in the youth group. I didn't plan on doing a bible study with him, but he asked me today if he could, so we found a good program for that also which we will start tomorrow.

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.

Last edited by somo_chickenlady; 09-25-2012 at 03:14 PM.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #45
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I want to join in! I am Vivian and I am homeschooling my 9 year old son, my five year old son and my dd is 3 1/2. School is going much better for us this year. I was ready to throw in the towel in May, but everything is going much better. We are six weeks in and way less grumbling. My dd is my biggest challenge most days because she can be so wild and loud.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:18 PM   #46
angel nee nee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm having my decaf. tea. Orange and ginger. Cheers to all of us who had done any kid of education for our children today!

September is almost over, I wonder if many of us are doing seasonal lessons?

I sold couple of items (used clothe, etc) on ebay. Hoping my sales will add up eventually (hopefully soon) to purchase Abeka phonics curriculums for my soon to be 5 year old daughter.

I have soooo many e books I purchased from teacherexpress whent hey had $1 sale. I have been printing a lot of them in past few days. I'm very happy with the ink cartridge I purchased from ebay....! They are $1.xx each and they have been printing at least 500 pages/cartridge. And still going.

I'm too overwhelmed to really sort through all of the books and think about which ones to use when, and read the hoemschooling information materials. I have to do it slowly and do it one by one so I won't get stressed and overwhelmed.

Click Here
to join suporpoints and get your 50 poits.
Earn points for paypal cash.
Do you like shopping online? Get rebates from ebates, Mr. Rebates
angel nee nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #47
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Wow, Kristin that sounds busy! That's a lot of littles to worry about on top of homeschooling and regular household stuff.
I'm really enjoying reading up on what everyone is doing....this is going to suck up way too much of my time!

Today has not went as planned but it has been a good day. We were talking this morning about family structure with God at the head (which was not in the lesson plans, lol) and how it goes out from there. So then we decided to make a huge poster for DH/Daddy for all he does for us. So the kids wrote "Thank you Dad, for taking care of us" and then they drew several pictures about it (going to work, cutting wood, playing games, ect.) and then we put all our handprints on it. We're leaving it out for him to find when he comes home, because we won't be there then. He'll be super thrilled.

Then (also not in the lesson plans) my children took it upon themselves to sweep the whole house for me. They're wonderful little people. The oldest one said that they were going to take tomorrow off, then sweep it again and that would cut down on my work. I'm not holding my breath for that to happen, but they are so sweet.

This afternoon will be long--they always are on Tuesday. I have the kids eat early and go to nap/rest early because we leave at 2:30 for gymnastics. They love gymnastics but the LO needs her sleep. She has gymnastics at 2:50, then we wait around in Willow until 6:45 for my older girls gymnastics class. It's fun sometimes, but can get kind of old. We go on walks, play at the park, catch up on homeschooling, picinic and that kind of thing. Maybe we'll make up for the stuff we didn't do this morning!
Uhhh, yeah! Most people think I'm insane.

Our days are going reasonably well. Our biggest problem is that there is a lot of noise and I mean A LOT!!! There's always a battle between the 2yo's b/c someone is always taking someone else's toy and with the babies, someone always needs fed, rocked, changed, etc. DD2 is very easily distracted and has a hard time doing her work. If she's downstairs (daycare area), then there's the distraction of the kids and if she upstairs in the living room or in her room there are hundreds of possible distractions. Today, I sent her upstairs to take her math test and when I went to check on her 15 minutes later, she had painted her nails! She did finally finish her test, but it took a lot of nagging on my part to get it done. I feel like if I were able to sit with her and give her all my attention, we wouldn't have these problems, but the situation is what it is, so we just muddle through.

I'm looking on advice for how to get to that subject that always falls to the wayside. For us, it's history and science. In the schedule, we are supposed to work on it over lunch, but DS gets home at 12:20 from pre-k and by the time we get everyone fed and cleaned up it's naptime. During naptime I work with DS on his reading, DD2 on her math (to get around the distraction problem). Then everyone starts to wake up and in the evening, we are headed to our activities. We get home between 7:30 and 8, eat supper and hang out with DH when he gets home at 9. I have good intentions every day, but somehow end up not doing it. Suggestions?
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:07 PM   #48
LindsayNErik
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am HS'ing a K'er. We are almost done,we started in January,and are doing year round. So,we only have 2 weeks of phonics left,and I'm trying to figure out what to do until our Christmas break in December. in January,we will start 1st grade. I am using HOD,and I think I will continue that,but use workboxes next year,to help with responsibility and independence.
LindsayNErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:20 AM   #49
elizabeth429
Registered Users
seller

Hey everyone, I'm Megan. I have a 3 year old DD and an almost 2 year old DS. I'm enjoying reading about everyone else's days! We are doing at home preschool, a few activities a day with BFIAR. We also have AAR Pre-level 1 and HWOT (my DD loves this program and thinks it's a fun game). We started having behavior problems due to boredom so I went in search of a curriculum, and fell in love with the concept of literature-based learning. My kiddos are eating it up, and if all goes well, I'd love to continue with FIAR.

I work a few days a week as an OB ultrasound tech, and am also a student midwife and doula, so our schedule is different each week, but we get things in when we can, and focusing on fun play, although my DD demands and loves all things 'school'. DH is in the Navy and also has an unpredictable schedule, and is often out of town.

Just finished our recap of our last 'row' @ my blog. I am loving this program so far, and really feel like my DD is getting so much from it, and DS is tagging along

~Megan

Our Blog: Small Hands Inspired.
elizabeth429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #50
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would like to join also if it isn't too late. I have too boys, Kearnan is 11, ASD and about halfway through 5th grade. Tharen is 6.5 and just stared 2nd grade. About the time I started 2nd grade with him he began refusing to do everything so we have had to back track and re-plan how to teach subjects so he is even willing to participate. I considered sending him to public school just to get a break and let some one else try teaching him. After 2 weeks doing just math manipulatives, reading to him, letting him read to me some, and doing history and science he is finally starting to come around a bit so I am hoping to add in some more traditional work soon.

Kearnan is just working along pretty much the same as always, he is halfway through Saxon 6/5 and just took a test which had scored 100% on. He is working with Spell by Color and I don't know if it is actually improving his spelling or not. Next year we will be using Hake Grammar which I believe has a spelling component as well. His spelling and writing are still suffering but Writing strands didn't help so we are working with Scott Froseman grammar right now. We are all doing Celtic History this week because we will start the History of Halloween next week.

I have been working with unifix cubes, play money and bug counters/pattern cards with Tharen for the last two weeks for math. He has done two pages of worksheets form his new math program and as of yesterday he is actually a little more compliant about school work. Today when he asked "is it a school day?" and I said yes he didn't scream he just said "ok, that's fine" so I'm hopeful. Yesterday he agreed that he could do his Funnix reading comp one or two days a week starting today so fingers crossed that works out. I'm trying to figure out how to teach him spelling without the work book program we were planning to use this year. I don't think he would like Spell By Color any better as it is still work sheets and Spelling City may be a bit too much like "work" as well. I have Bananagrams that I will try but other than that I am stumped. I am also torn on ordering a giant math manipulatives kit. It costs more than I usually spend on curriculum for a full year but if it allows me to continue teaching him it is probably worth it. Just not loving the idea.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote