Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-26-2012, 09:20 AM   #1
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
coconut cream concentrate ?

Does anyone use this? I bought it from Tropical Traditions thinking I could replace canned coconut milk that I like to use in cooking. Now I am not sure. I would appreciate any info from those who use it.

Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 01:27 PM   #2
betsynic
Registered Users
seller

Re: coconut cream concentrate ?

Have you looked at the manufacturer's website? They have a ton of recipes for this.

http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/co....htm#b1g1_pint
betsynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you, yes I saw the website. I wanted to dilute it to replace canned coconut milk to use in my recipes.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh man that stuff is so yummy i can eat it by the spoon
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #5
Yarnjess
Registered Users
seller

You can make coconut milk with shredded coconut. Here's a link to a recipe.
Yarnjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #6
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't think I am making myself clear. I have a quart jar of the concentrate that I want to use to make milk. Has anyone used this to make coconut milk to use in place of the canned stuff?
Old 09-26-2012, 07:08 PM   #7
Leocaligirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes View Post
oh man that stuff is so yummy i can eat it by the spoon
I agree.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #8
Nandis
Registered Users
seller
seller

It's more like ground, dried coconut rather than a condensed or evaporated milk like you were thinking. I thought it would be like that, too, but it's more like a nut butter. I would compare it to trying to dilute almond butter to make almond milk. It just doesn't really work that way. Sorry.

Before I really understood what I was dealing with, I used it to make "creamed" spinach, but really, it was grainy and not the right texture. I just added a bit to the pan and then added water till I liked the consistency. You can dilute it in sauces like that as long as the texture doesn't bother you, I guess. But it can't really be a milk substitute... at least I never figured out how to use it that way.
Nandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:12 PM   #9
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nandis View Post
It's more like ground, dried coconut rather than a condensed or evaporated milk like you were thinking. I thought it would be like that, too, but it's more like a nut butter. I would compare it to trying to dilute almond butter to make almond milk. It just doesn't really work that way. Sorry.

Before I really understood what I was dealing with, I used it to make "creamed" spinach, but really, it was grainy and not the right texture. I just added a bit to the pan and then added water till I liked the consistency. You can dilute it in sauces like that as long as the texture doesn't bother you, I guess. But it can't really be a milk substitute... at least I never figured out how to use it that way.

Oh, I'm sad. I was thinking that I would put it through a fine mesh strainer after I dilute it to remove the solid bits. I think I might call the company and ask. I wasn't thinking of it like reg. milk but rather coconut milk that comes in cans. I want to use it in my curry dishes.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #10
Nandis
Registered Users
seller
seller

On the Tropical Tradition's recipe page, under their recipe for coconut milk (made from shredded coconut) I found this comment from Sarah (the owner's daughter):

You can mix about 1 teaspoon of CCC to 6-8 oz of water to make coconut cream milk. This can be a substitute for coconut milk but it's not the same (gritty because of the fiber). If you want to do that just mix the two ingredients together. That's all there is to it. If you want a true coconut milk though you have to follow the above recipe exactly. Sorry, but it can't be changed.
# Posted By Sarah | 11/16/09 11:38 AM

So it looks like she has had similar experience. It's close, but grainy. When I bought it, I was hoping for a shelf stable, mix it as needed coconut milk. What I got was a yummy addition to recipes, an awesome butter for sweet sandwiches, and something yum to make a spoon delicious. I think you should try it and see if you like the results! Just because I didn't, doesn't mean you won't. GL!!
Nandis is offline   Reply With Quote