Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #51
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Homeschooling check-in

We finished MFW K today!! We were supposed to have a couple days left but we smushed some stuff together and finished up today. We're taking a break from formal homeschool until the start of next week. I think the kids and I are both looking forward to a couple extra days off and it will give me more time to look over our first grade stuff and get ready.

Advertisement

jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #52
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Jen~ that's exciting and awesome! Way to go!

Shannon~ I've found a lot of great math manipulative sets on ebay for good prices. Glad to hear Tharen is doing better! Have you thought about a rewards system? 5 days of fight free school = some kind of reward, like a blockbuster movie or a picnic lunch or something?

Vivian~ I remember your thread a while back, I'm so glad you got everything figured out and school is going more smoothly. It's very reassuring to a new hser to see the struggles and triumphs.

Kristin~ wow it sounds like you have your hands full! Is there any way to switch the schedule around? Do a daily subject 3x times a week instead, to make room for history and science? Or prepare some kind of experiment in advance and they can work at the kitchen table while you're making lunch? Could you borrow some history books on tape/cd from the library and listen while driving in the evening?

Miranda~ Hey hun!!

So I might have trouble reading through this thread and keeping everyone, their names, and their situations straight!! Oh, and by the way, everyone sounds really organized! It's probably not that way irl but it sounds like it!! I feel all over the place. I clean my moms for extra $ twice a week, and often those days go very smoothly, but it does take away from my "cleaning energy" to clean my own home. Sometimes balancing hsing and cleaning is chaotic for me!

Also, the kids and I haven't had a vehicle for maaaaany months and we are all getting cabin fever. We are looking at a van and having it looked at on Friday, so hopefully next week we will have a van! That would be so wonderful.

The past couple days we have been reading science books and doing activities along with them, the kids have really enjoyed that. DS and I are working on his reading. Still have to get to math today, which has just been number concepts lately. DS is getting math very easily and lately has been randomly adding. Like we pulled out the eggs yesterday to make pancakes and there is a cluster of 3 on one side and 1 on the other, he says "HEY!!!! 3+1 equals 4!!!" So he gets it but I don't want to start math worksheets yet, and I'm hoping dd will catch up with him a bit.

We have also been taking a lot about life lesson type things. How to stay safe, clean and healthy. What kind of things we like, and trying new things to find something in life that makes you very happy. We read Mirette on the high wire today prior to that conversation. What a great book, we all loved it.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #53
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Jen- Hi, he is doing better, and then worse, and then better again. We will just have to see how it goes I guess. Today instead of math we read a dog training guide and he worked with Nimby on training. He is very serious about this. He is going to train her in basic commands and then teach her to be a Frisbee dog. We will see how that goes but I will settle for her calming down and being a civilized part of our family. It is hard to teach him how to teach her because he is almost as spastic as she is. I am hoping this will help his focus and calm as well.

When I asked him if we was going to do his Funnix like he told me he would he said "I don't want to." I told him "that's sad, I guess it is your choice but remember your actions have consequences. Try not to worry about it." Well he asked a few times what the consequences might be but I just told him not to worry about it. After lunch he decided to go ahead and do the Funnix like he had agreed to yesterday, because "I want you to be able to trust me mommy." I plan to let the boys make their first solo trip to the park today and I was going to have to make him stay home if he didn't do it so I'm glad he decided to. The park is just across from our house and I am going to work in the garage and put up Halloween decorations while they are there so I will be able to see them the whole time. It is something they have been wanting to do for a while. Surprise rewards seem to work better with Tharen. Somehow if he knows that he is working towards something he always seems to sabotage himself and then he gets defiant about it like "I don't want your stupid ___ anyway" and starts acting worse just to prove he can. It's better to catch him when he has been more compliant or working extra hard and comment on it.

I'm shopping around on ebay and some of the other educational supply websites to see if I can find better prices but so far it seems cheaper to buy the full set on amazon even though it means getting doubles of some things (I already have some of them). By the time I buy everything separately and pay shipping to different sellers in many cases it winds up costing me way more. The only place left to look is the local teacher's tools store. They have a website but it seems like they have more or different stuff in their store. I'm torn between going and shopping there or just ordering and having it done. I'm still checking to see if I can find the full set on ebay a bit cheaper because I found the set for the 4-6 grades that way. I could just start buying pieces now and by the time I need them all I will have them but I will have spent more that way. It just will have been in smaller pieces over time. I think I may ask dh about dropping by the teacher's tools place when he gets home. We really need to clean the shed out though. *sigh This is our only week off of TKD so we want to get as much done around the house as possible.

It is certainly not organized around here. I used to have this really nice routine going and then Tharen kind of blew it up. It isn't that I like routines but I feel like I'm not getting anything done if we don't have one for at least school work and cleaning. Now I am having to try to keep Kearnan on his routine and work around Tharen. We fit in as many extra chores as we can and then "deep clean" on Thursday and Friday (used to be just Friday but that sort of blew up too). We are making it work though and that is what homeschooling is about.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #54
cedavid2011
Registered Users
seller

Well, we missed check-in yesterday (and school too) because we were busy doing some deconstruction. A friend of my mother's bought a new house and there was a huge play house in the back yard; she offered to let us have it if we would come tear it down. We spent 6 hours out there yesterday taking off the roof and loft area of it. Luckily my dad's profession was carpentry so he is helping us tear it down and then will help re-build it at our house. We are actually going to make it a coop for the chickens we will be getting in the spring.
DD3 accidentally poked DD2 in the eye yesterday morning and it kept bothering her off and on all day, so after all of the work was done we had an appointment for her at the eye doctor. Luckily there is no damage done, he said it was more like a slight bruise and to just let her rest it.
As far as today goes we are resting up because half of us have or are getting colds. We didn't get too much school done today either, but will be back at it tomorrow. Hope all you ladies are having good days with your little ones.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #55
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
I would like to join also if it isn't too late. I have too boys, Kearnan is 11, ASD and about halfway through 5th grade. Tharen is 6.5 and just stared 2nd grade. About the time I started 2nd grade with him he began refusing to do everything so we have had to back track and re-plan how to teach subjects so he is even willing to participate. I considered sending him to public school just to get a break and let some one else try teaching him. After 2 weeks doing just math manipulatives, reading to him, letting him read to me some, and doing history and science he is finally starting to come around a bit so I am hoping to add in some more traditional work soon.

Kearnan is just working along pretty much the same as always, he is halfway through Saxon 6/5 and just took a test which had scored 100% on. He is working with Spell by Color and I don't know if it is actually improving his spelling or not. Next year we will be using Hake Grammar which I believe has a spelling component as well. His spelling and writing are still suffering but Writing strands didn't help so we are working with Scott Froseman grammar right now. We are all doing Celtic History this week because we will start the History of Halloween next week.

I have been working with unifix cubes, play money and bug counters/pattern cards with Tharen for the last two weeks for math. He has done two pages of worksheets form his new math program and as of yesterday he is actually a little more compliant about school work. Today when he asked "is it a school day?" and I said yes he didn't scream he just said "ok, that's fine" so I'm hopeful. Yesterday he agreed that he could do his Funnix reading comp one or two days a week starting today so fingers crossed that works out. I'm trying to figure out how to teach him spelling without the work book program we were planning to use this year. I don't think he would like Spell By Color any better as it is still work sheets and Spelling City may be a bit too much like "work" as well. I have Bananagrams that I will try but other than that I am stumped. I am also torn on ordering a giant math manipulatives kit. It costs more than I usually spend on curriculum for a full year but if it allows me to continue teaching him it is probably worth it. Just not loving the idea.
How do you like Scott Foresman Grammar? I'm guessing that you are using the free one. That's what we are using too. I think it's ok. I'm just worried that it isn't meaty enough.

Do you have an ipad or andriod something or other? For spelling, I've had the kids start using Word Ball as one of their activities. It's a free app that I got for our Kindle. Basically little balls fly around with letters on them and you have to spell words (I have them do the words on their lists) before all the balls with a particular letter disappear. They try to see how many words they can get before the necessary letters are gone. I only started that this week, but both girls seemed to enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainandRedemption View Post
Kristin~ wow it sounds like you have your hands full! Is there any way to switch the schedule around? Do a daily subject 3x times a week instead, to make room for history and science? Or prepare some kind of experiment in advance and they can work at the kitchen table while you're making lunch? Could you borrow some history books on tape/cd from the library and listen while driving in the evening?

So I might have trouble reading through this thread and keeping everyone, their names, and their situations straight!! Oh, and by the way, everyone sounds really organized! It's probably not that way irl but it sounds like it!! I feel all over the place. I clean my moms for extra $ twice a week, and often those days go very smoothly, but it does take away from my "cleaning energy" to clean my own home. Sometimes balancing hsing and cleaning is chaotic for me!

Also, the kids and I haven't had a vehicle for maaaaany months and we are all getting cabin fever. We are looking at a van and having it looked at on Friday, so hopefully next week we will have a van! That would be so wonderful.

The past couple days we have been reading science books and doing activities along with them, the kids have really enjoyed that. DS and I are working on his reading. Still have to get to math today, which has just been number concepts lately. DS is getting math very easily and lately has been randomly adding. Like we pulled out the eggs yesterday to make pancakes and there is a cluster of 3 on one side and 1 on the other, he says "HEY!!!! 3+1 equals 4!!!" So he gets it but I don't want to start math worksheets yet, and I'm hoping dd will catch up with him a bit.

We have also been taking a lot about life lesson type things. How to stay safe, clean and healthy. What kind of things we like, and trying new things to find something in life that makes you very happy. We read Mirette on the high wire today prior to that conversation. What a great book, we all loved it.
Thanks for the audiobook idea. I did rip the library copy of SOTW to our computer so I could stop paying overdue fees. Now I just need to burn a few CDs. I also think I'm going to search our library for some trade books and the girls can read a couple of assigned chapters and we can discuss them pretty much any time throughout the day

I Mirette on the High Wire.

Jen: congrats on getting 200 hours and finishing your curriculum!

I've just been writing things down. I haven't calculated any hours yet. I should probably do that.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #56
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Jen - Yay!!! Congrats on finishing up K! When you start up again, are you starting MFW 1st?

Corrie - Very cool about the play house! That sounds like so much fun tearing it down and rebuilding it as a family. Glad your daughters eye is okay.

Shannon - Sounds like you had a successful day! Yay to him deciding to do his work. I hope they had fun at the park and you got a lot of decorating done.

Rain - We have 2 Jen's. So, I'm going to call you Rain. Believe me, I'll have a hard time keeping everyone straight too. LOL. As far as being organized, I feel like in the area of homeschooling, I'm fairly organized with my 1st grader who is the only one doing formal school. BUT, I think it's because I buy a full boxed curriculum that tells me exactly what to do. Also, right now, we mostly focus on the basics. With so many littles, I just don't have time to get in a lot of extras. (Of course, we are on an extended break right now anyway. ) My DD who is 4 is doing the same thing with adding. She is randomly adding everything. My 1st grader is doing addition and she is picking it up. I hope the van works out for you!!!

Kristen - I totally hear you on the noise!! My kids are 6 years, 4, 4, 2, 2 with a newbie coming very soon. The noise can really be intense and easily over power school. It can be frustrating. I'm not sure what to advise on the history and science issue. We do a very relaxed science. We get it in about once a week and if we don't, I don't worry about it. We are sort of unschooling for science. Luckily, my 1st grader is VERY into nature, especially animals. So, I don't have to do much and he still learns a ton. The most recent thing is we hatched baby turtles a couple weeks ago. So, we are working on taking care of those. And, our history is built into our curriculum as Biblical history for this year. Plus, mine is only in 1st and I don't find these things to be super important at his age. Yours are older. But, what about doing them a couple evenings a week when the daycare kids are not there? Maybe read history before bed or something like that. Maybe dad can be the science teacher and do it when he is around.

AFM - Well, as much as I love my curriculum, it looks like I'm branching out for math. We use MFW 1st. It has a built in hands on math. They give us the objectives and goals for what he should know for the year, but not a spelled out "do this at this time" plan. Unfortunately, I need that. I can get him to understand the end goal, but I'm so afraid I'm missing steps in the middle and he'll end up not having some foundational knowledge that he needs. (I felt this way last year too with MFW K and math) So, just like last year, we are going to add in Singapore math. I scored a great deal on FSOT for the textbooks and workbooks for 1A and 1B for a total of $15 ppd. One of the workbooks is a little "beat up" and partially used, but it's fine. (I'm sort funny about used stuff. It really isn't what I prefer. But, it was such a good deal for exactly what I needed that I just couldn't pass it up. It would have been about $55 with shipping new.) But, looking through, I decided that I really want the homeschool teachers guide too. On the website, if I bought them new it would have been $49 for both. I looked on ebay and found both home guides PLUS the one workbook that I'd like to replace up for auction. For the 3 of them, it would be $60 new from the site. I got them all for $30 with shipping! All total, I'll have the whole set for $45, all of them new or lightly used, and it would have been $130 new from the site. It is 65% less!! Woo Hoo for "used!" I'm totally excited! (Sorry for the long story.)

Who said they were looking into A Beka for next year? We are looking into that just for LA. I'm surprised by how much it costs. But, I know it is a super strong program.

As for schooling, we are taking a break, but I really don't want to be. I want to get back to it. So, I'm thinking we will try to do something tomorrow. But, it's going to be crazy trying to get school done right now. I had protein in my urine at my OB appt today. So, I have to go back on Friday. Plus, we have a house appraisal on Friday afternoon and then a speech eval on Tuesday plus at least one more OB appt next week. (Of course, that's if the protein was a fluke and they don't need to induce me for pre-e.) So, I feel a little nuts trying to do it, but I also feel really out of sorts not doing school. I feel like my kids need it. Wish me luck getting some in!!!

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 09-26-2012 at 03:35 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #57
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2queens&1princenmyhouse View Post
How do you like Scott Foresman Grammar? I'm guessing that you are using the free one. That's what we are using too. I think it's ok. I'm just worried that it isn't meaty enough.

Do you have an ipad or andriod something or other? For spelling, I've had the kids start using Word Ball as one of their activities. It's a free app that I got for our Kindle. Basically little balls fly around with letters on them and you have to spell words (I have them do the words on their lists) before all the balls with a particular letter disappear. They try to see how many words they can get before the necessary letters are gone. I only started that this week, but both girls seemed to enjoy it.

Thanks for the audiobook idea. I did rip the library copy of SOTW to our computer so I could stop paying overdue fees. Now I just need to burn a few CDs. I also think I'm going to search our library for some trade books and the girls can read a couple of assigned chapters and we can discuss them pretty much any time throughout the day

I Mirette on the High Wire.

Jen: congrats on getting 200 hours and finishing your curriculum!

I've just been writing things down. I haven't calculated any hours yet. I should probably do that.
I like Scott Foresman pretty well for Grammar. I liked the look of them better than http://www.mhschool.com/reading/trea.../national.html because there seemed to be more actual writing and Kearnan has had a lot of issue with writing. His issues are partially related to his ASD but I wish I had pushed him just a bit more when he was younger. Next year I will be using Hake Grammar which is a big book and very thorough but I think this is more than enough for now. I also use the Scott Foresman reading books when I find them cheap at thrift stores or Half Price Books. I think they fit together well and are more convenient in the early years than buying a bunch of early readers.

The boys do have android tablets, I will look for that app for both of them to try out. Hopefully Tharen will enjoy it enough to want to play it.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:58 PM   #58
threelittlehoneys
seller
seller

Have you guys seen this thread?

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1447582
Old 09-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #59
threelittlehoneys
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post

Corrie - Very cool about the play house! That sounds like so much fun tearing it down and rebuilding it as a family. Glad your daughters eye is okay.

Rain - We have 2 Jen's. So, I'm going to call you Rain. Believe me, I'll have a hard time keeping everyone straight too. LOL. As far as being organized, I feel like in the area of homeschooling, I'm fairly organized with my 1st grader who is the only one doing formal school. BUT, I think it's because I buy a full boxed curriculum that tells me exactly what to do. Also, right now, we mostly focus on the basics. With so many littles, I just don't have time to get in a lot of extras. (Of course, we are on an extended break right now anyway. ) My DD who is 4 is doing the same thing with adding. She is randomly adding everything. My 1st grader is doing addition and she is picking it up. I hope the van works out for you!!!

Who said they were looking into A Beka for next year? We are looking into that just for LA. I'm surprised by how much it costs. But, I know it is a super strong program.

As for schooling, we are taking a break, but I really don't want to be. I want to get back to it. So, I'm thinking we will try to do something tomorrow. But, it's going to be crazy trying to get school done right now. I had protein in my urine at my OB appt today. So, I have to go back on Friday. Plus, we have a house appraisal on Friday afternoon and then a speech eval on Tuesday plus at least one more OB appt next week. (Of course, that's if the protein was a fluke and they don't need to induce me for pre-e.) So, I feel a little nuts trying to do it, but I also feel really out of sorts not doing school. I feel like my kids need it. Wish me luck getting some in!!!
I agree that play house sounds awesome!

Thanks for the van wishes I'm trying to not get too excited but at the same time I just CAN'T wait for those small things, like being able to run through at Dunkin Donuts for coffee and "breakfast" and going to the park at the beginning of the day... so tired of being confined to the house!!!

I can't imagine hsing a 1st grader, keeping up with so many little ones, and being at the end of pregnancy!! You are amazing!!

We are using Abeka but I just went through and bought the books that would be best for us. The full curriculum plus the teacher books are ridiculously expensive. I did find some sets on ebay for a good price though.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:38 AM   #60
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainandRedemption View Post
Jen~ that's exciting and awesome! Way to go!

Shannon~ I've found a lot of great math manipulative sets on ebay for good prices. Glad to hear Tharen is doing better! Have you thought about a rewards system? 5 days of fight free school = some kind of reward, like a blockbuster movie or a picnic lunch or something?

Vivian~ I remember your thread a while back, I'm so glad you got everything figured out and school is going more smoothly. It's very reassuring to a new hser to see the struggles and triumphs.

Miranda~ Hey hun!!

Thank you! It sounds like things are going pretty good with you too. I am glad this year is going better. I had friends who told me to give it at least one more year. My biggest challenge has been seeing the learning in everything we do. It looks like you are getting that much quicker than me!