Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #11
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Craziest "thrifty" meal you've ever made?

Fried dumpings with herbs, parmesan cheese and butter. the dumplings are something my grandma used to make involving flour, egg and milk. combine and using a spoon scrape into a pot of boiling water. After they float to the top throw them in a pan and fry with a bit of butter.

so delicious and cheap. its comfort food at its best for me. I made it for DH once and he didn't enjoy it all that much.

Advertisement

Old 09-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #12
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Fried dumpings with herbs, parmesan cheese and butter. the dumplings are something my grandma used to make involving flour, egg and milk. combine and using a spoon scrape into a pot of boiling water. After they float to the top throw them in a pan and fry with a bit of butter.

so delicious and cheap. its comfort food at its best for me. I made it for DH once and he didn't enjoy it all that much.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #13
emilyrebekah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Well, do you want odd or pathetic? I can't say I have odd, but I have pathetic and once creative, off the cuff meal.

My most recent quick, thrifty meal was tomato basil soup and grilled cheese. My DH hates standard tomato soup, so I doctored it up with oregano, basil, pepper, garlic powder, onion, and a partial container of chunky tomato basil sauce. I tossed in some grated cheese we had left from a meal a couple of nights before. The tomato soup was given to me by my sister that volunteers for a food bank (they allow her to take food home) so that was free. I bake my own bread, so that made it even cheaper.

Now, for my most pathetic. One time we were super broke. I was down to bare bones pantry, basically just pasta and some random snack foods, with a few refrigerator staples. I made spaghetti with "garlic butter sauce"- basically melted the butter, added some spices, sprinkled on a little cheese. Not my finest moment, but it was better than nothing, right?
Old 09-27-2012, 08:23 AM   #14
NFPMommy6709
Registered Users
seller

When I got married my grandmother made me a cookbook for a gift with family photos in it. One recipe was called "Before Pay Day Soup". It consists completely of melted butter, chopped onion, cream corn, and salt and pepper. I made it once.

Once.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #15
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just made up supper, threw this all together in about 45 minutes.

Boiled, browned and cut up brats/sausage (I used pineapple deer brats YUMMY!)
Green beans, peas and diced onion with chicken stock and 2tsp or so of butter in a skillet till tender.
Nothern Beans (or whichever beans you like) and stewed tomatoes in a skillet on the stove till it bubbles a bit.
Steamed rice

Add it all together in a bowl. Mix in seasoning to taste. I used masala, season salt, lemon and pepper, basil, rosemary an sage. But really it's just a "whatsoundsgood" seasoning dish.
Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Nielsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:28 AM   #16
smores
Registered Users

Oh god. It wasn't intentionally thrifty, but it's one of my cheaper meals. I was trying to make mac and cheese (I make it from scratch with white sauce) only I was out of butter. So... well, I decided to just keep going, skipping the butter. Except you can't really do that in white sauce, and oil just cooks the flour. So... I dumped the cheese in, poured over the noodles and prayed it would all bake up correctly, of course it didn't! I then threw a jar of pasta sauce in there to "Save" it and it tasted like spaghetti-os. We ended up throwing out half of it, lol, it was just too weird.

i blog here
smores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:42 AM   #17
drunkenmonkeysmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyrebekah
Well, do you want odd or pathetic? I can't say I have odd, but I have pathetic and once creative, off the cuff meal.

Now, for my most pathetic. One time we were super broke. I was down to bare bones pantry, basically just pasta and some random snack foods, with a few refrigerator staples. I made spaghetti with "garlic butter sauce"- basically melted the butter, added some spices, sprinkled on a little cheese. Not my finest moment, but it was better than nothing, right?
my boys love this and ask for it at least once a week
Old 09-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #18
emilyrebekah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmonkeysmommy1

my boys love this and ask for it at least once a week
Hey mama, no shame! Do you do meat free? My husband nearly revolted when I didn't even offer ground beef. He's lucky I didn't bust out Ramen noodles.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #19
dolbytina
Registered Users

I made one just the other night! I had baked some tofu and made a pretty decent peanut sauce but barely had any veggies so I shredded a raw carrot, one medium apple, some raw onion and some raw cabbage and mixed it together with cooked spaghetti, the tofu and the peanut sauce. It was actually really good! It was a good way to use up some random leftovers in the fruit/veggie drawer.
dolbytina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:12 AM   #20
Catbutt Diapers
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnRose View Post
UCK! I think I'm going to skip on breakfast now...although is it really thrifty if it's wasted?
No, now-a-days it's not really "thrifty" as no one eats it. But back in the day (remember, it was a Hutterite colony) eating pork blood stew was the difference between survival and starving. And I fully admit, that when the zombies come, the world ends, and food becomes next to nonexistant - I may entertain the thought of possibly maybe making it for my family... maybe. LOL