Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-26-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
angel nee nee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Handwriting - 7 year old boy cursive

Hi everyone. I've been using A beka curriculum to teach my 7 year old boy cursive writing.
We've been using this for a while, and he makes his effort. But his handwriting is pretty messy/sloppy still.

He knows the rules like where to capitalize, but he seems to forget and ignore sometimes.

I do not know if this is becuase he is young, or if he is just being lazy.

Do you think if I continue the same curriculum, eventually his handwriting will be better? Is it expected for some students' handwriting to be sloppy after many lessons? Or do you think it is better to try using some kind of supplement?

Advertisement

Click Here
to join suporpoints and get your 50 poits.
Earn points for paypal cash.
Do you like shopping online? Get rebates from ebates, Mr. Rebates
angel nee nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #2
threestraycats
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Handwriting - 7 year old boy cursive

ha ha, sounds like a boy thing to me. i got a cursive wall chart off of amazon for cheap that has helped + telling him that if it is illegible/or a bad effort then he will have to re-write.

that seems to do the trick!

Old 09-26-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Personally 7 is too young for cursive IMO. My son is highly gifted but his handwriting sucks. He is 8.5 and we tried cursive last year and it was a bust so we laid off and are trying this year. I think most schools start at 8 and the end of 3rd grade. Ds is doing 4th grade work but easing into cursive.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #4
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oldest DS learned cursive in ps 3rd grade. They used HWT in ps, I'd suggest that. Abeka is also good (we're doing it with my kindy but using the manuscript) so I can't say for sure how good it is for cursive.
Funny thing, ds's handwriting is way better in cursive than print, I think he has to go slower and take his time so it comes out better.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:50 AM   #5
beckis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody
Personally 7 is too young for cursive IMO. My son is highly gifted but his handwriting sucks. He is 8.5 and we tried cursive last year and it was a bust so we laid off and are trying this year. I think most schools start at 8 and the end of 3rd grade. Ds is doing 4th grade work but easing into cursive.
I agree! Too young for our house & for what it's worth, my youngest sons's occupational therapist agrees and says that most kids don't have the fine motor skills needed at that age. We also love handwriting without tears.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:24 AM   #6
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
We use abeka for crusive(love! their writing program btw) and I started dd1 with it in 1st grade(5.5yrs). She did awesome!(once she learned all the formations so not right away) until she hit 6.5. Her crusive and print went out the window b/c she rushed. Since I knew she could wrote neatly and was simplu choosing not to she would have to rewrite it. I also cut back on the amount she had to write(I think abeka goes a little over board on repeating some things) and I also tried to switch the lessons over to something she wanted to write(a letter to nana, a story about princesses ect). For her it was just a stage. She is back to writing(in crusive) beautifully

Dd2 is about to start 1st grade soon and I will again use abeka crusive. If it goes as smoothly with her then good, if she struggles I'll back off and let her keep working on her print if she wants(it could use some help lol).

I dont see anything wrong with continuing the crusive(as long as he isnt completely frustrated) but I also dont see anything qrong with trying something different(hwt I hear is awesome) or just giving him a break for a couple months. I dont think you can go wrong really. One of the beauties of hsing right?

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).

Last edited by my2sweets; 09-27-2012 at 07:33 AM.
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:28 AM   #7
geez0pete
Registered Users
Formerly: sm***ff

My Mood:

My dd started HWOT this year at 8yo (3rd grade). I don't think she would've been ready (fine motor skill-wise) any sooner.

geez0pete is offline   Reply With Quote