Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-27-2012, 11:34 AM   #21
tokidokikashikoi
Registered Users
seller

Re: Craziest "thrifty" meal you've ever made?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmonkeysmommy1 View Post
my boys love this and ask for it at least once a week
I make it with just butter and cheese! Often even when there is sauce in the cupboard lol

Advertisement

tokidokikashikoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #22
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyrebekah View Post
I made spaghetti with "garlic butter sauce"- basically melted the butter, added some spices, sprinkled on a little cheese. Not my finest moment, but it was better than nothing, right?
Hey, not bad at all! I ate spaghetti with butter for a week between paychecks over college break once. And plain, pan-fried frozen hamburgers - no buns or condiments!

Another good "end of the month" emergency meal is Ramen Pad Thai - just cooked ramen noodles, 1/2 "chili" ramen seasoning packet, garlic powder and crunchy peanut butter.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #23
emilyrebekah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiiki

Hey, not bad at all! I ate spaghetti with butter for a week between paychecks over college break once. And plain, pan-fried frozen hamburgers - no buns or condiments!

Another good "end of the month" emergency meal is Ramen Pad Thai - just cooked ramen noodles, 1/2 "chili" ramen seasoning packet, garlic powder and crunchy peanut butter.
Ha! Glad SOMEONE doesn't think there is something wrong with me... DH was pretty annoyed. Whatever!
Old 09-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #24
AutumnRose
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

LOL! I'm 1/2 Italian, my brother, sister and I used to make 'ronies butter and cheese' all the time and once in a while we'd toss in some garlic cause it was OH SOOOO YUMMY!

So when I read it I was........ ...I must be a lot stranger then I thought.

Oh my thinking process for the gravy and oatmeal...you can put gravy on grits...I love grits....both are a grain...can be similar to potato consistency...eh worth a try!
Old 09-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #25
AutumnRose
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiiki View Post
Totally tempted to test this! DH Ramen noodles, I have to keep a ramen cupboard (tiniest cupboard Ive ever seen but I can fit a ton of ramen in there!). Otherwise I think he may short circuit. It's quit often his bed time snack...that or ice cream...and the little stinker only weighs 130lbs!
Old 09-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #26
drunkenmonkeysmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyrebekah

Hey mama, no shame! Do you do meat free? My husband nearly revolted when I didn't even offer ground beef. He's lucky I didn't bust out Ramen noodles.
We are not meat free, but dh is L A Z Y, and if I do not have something that can be reheated easily, that is his go to meal. The kids love it.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:17 PM   #27
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Once I had to buy cabbage for a clogged milk duct. And I had some thawed out steak I needed to use.

So I tossed the cabbage, cut up steak, some potatoes, and some carrots into a big pot with some broth and some spices and that was dinner. LOL

It wasn't the best thing I've ever eaten, but it certainly wasn't the worst! And I wasn't about to waste a whole head of cabbage!
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:32 PM   #28
Antebellum
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
Once I had to buy cabbage for a clogged milk duct. And I had some thawed out steak I needed to use.

So I tossed the cabbage, cut up steak, some potatoes, and some carrots into a big pot with some broth and some spices and that was dinner. LOL

It wasn't the best thing I've ever eaten, but it certainly wasn't the worst! And I wasn't about to waste a whole head of cabbage!
That actually sounds so yummy! lol, im now re-doing my grocery listto include cabbage so I can make this
Antebellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:44 PM   #29
Nandis
Registered Users
seller
seller

I used to do the spaghetti thing like that back when I could eat a little dairy. Now I add olive oil and a homemade parmesan substitute made out of almonds and nutritional yeast instead. YUM! Have you tried adding eggs to it?? Just whip an egg or two per pound of pasta in a bowl and then add it to the pasta right after you drain it. Stir like a crazy so that it coats the pasta and doesn't turn into scrambled eggs. Then add oil (or butter) and parmesan. It makes it more filling and extra tasty!

But I think yesterday's fridge-raid lunch counts as crazy! It was the following mixed up in a pan and fried: hot dogs, onion, apples, cinnamon, curry powder, sugar, leftover baked potatoes, shredded cabbage, a couple of eggs and a little homemade chicken broth to help it finish cooking and not stick to the pan. It was dee-lish!! When DH got home, the kids told him we had, "Cinnamon sugar hotdogs" for lunch. I got the eyebrow for that one... LOL We didn't have enough of anything for all 7 of us (4 hot dogs, a couple of packages of cut up apples leftover from soccer snack, 4 eggs, a couple of potatoes and about 2-3 cups of the cabbage and maybe 1 cup of broth), but all together it was enough food and yummy enough that the kids asked for it again today. WIN!
Nandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:45 PM   #30
AutumnRose
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nandis View Post
I used to do the spaghetti thing like that back when I could eat a little dairy. Now I add olive oil and a homemade parmesan substitute made out of almonds and nutritional yeast instead. YUM! Have you tried adding eggs to it?? Just whip an egg or two per pound of pasta in a bowl and then add it to the pasta right after you drain it. Stir like a crazy so that it coats the pasta and doesn't turn into scrambled eggs. Then add oil (or butter) and parmesan. It makes it more filling and extra tasty!

But I think yesterday's fridge-raid lunch counts as crazy! It was the following mixed up in a pan and fried: hot dogs, onion, apples, cinnamon, curry powder, sugar, leftover baked potatoes, shredded cabbage, a couple of eggs and a little homemade chicken broth to help it finish cooking and not stick to the pan. It was dee-lish!! When DH got home, the kids told him we had, "Cinnamon sugar hotdogs" for lunch. I got the eyebrow for that one... LOL We didn't have enough of anything for all 7 of us (4 hot dogs, a couple of packages of cut up apples leftover from soccer snack, 4 eggs, a couple of potatoes and about 2-3 cups of the cabbage and maybe 1 cup of broth), but all together it was enough food and yummy enough that the kids asked for it again today. WIN!
How in the world did you make this! It has to be pretty decent if kids asked for more, and honestly I'm always up for trying new things to see!!!