Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
cassie.sattler
Registered Users
seller

paraguard bfing no pp period parinoid!

i had my paraguard inserted 10 weeks post-partum. the time before i got the paraguard dh and i didnt have sex. i am almost four months post partum and have not had a period yet which is fine but dh and i have had sex and i really want to get my period back because i fear pregnancy again (we are both young parents and ds wasnt planned) i have had some random spotting and slight cramping every now and again but otherwise no side effects. did anyone else feel paranoid until their flow came back pp? im starting to get really scared. we dont use any thing but the paraguard for bc..

Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #2
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Are you bf mama? That can delay af for quite some time. I had paraguard inserted at 6 mos, period returned about 6 wks later.
If you are really paranoid you can always pee on a couple sticks.
Were you on any kind of bc before? After paraguard i noticed mid cycle cramping - two days halfway through cycle like clockwork. My doctor said its totally normal and i never had it before bc hormonal bc means you're not ovulating.

Last edited by DottieHarley; 09-11-2012 at 06:40 PM.
DottieHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
cassie.sattler
Registered Users
seller

Re: paraguard bfing no pp period parinoid!

i am bfing so i think that has alot to do with it. did yours start regularly after that? i just wish i could get it again so i know for sure that its working if you know what i mean
Old 09-12-2012, 06:38 AM   #4
klevmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

I wouldn't be worried if you are bfing + have the paragard.

The time it takes for your first cycle to return when you are bfing varies extremely widely among women. Here has been my personal experience:
#1 - 9 mos pp
#2 - 8 mos pp
#3 - 21 mos pp
#4 - 12 mos pp
#5 - 9 mos pp

I've know women who got their cycles back at 6 - 8 wks pp while EBFing. So, it really does vary. Paragard has a > 99% efficacy rate, so your chances of conceiving while on it are less than 1 in 100. EBF, on demand, day and night, prior to 6 mos pp with no supplementing or pacifiers and no cycle yet has an efficacy rate of > 98%. So, pair those two together, and you are in really good shape, even if you don't meet all the LAM criteria :-)

You aren't cycling yet due to bf hormones, mama, so no worries (I know, easier said than done, though!).
Old 09-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #5
cassie.sattler
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by klevmomma View Post
I wouldn't be worried if you are bfing + have the paragard.

The time it takes for your first cycle to return when you are bfing varies extremely widely among women. Here has been my personal experience:
#1 - 9 mos pp
#2 - 8 mos pp
#3 - 21 mos pp
#4 - 12 mos pp
#5 - 9 mos pp

I've know women who got their cycles back at 6 - 8 wks pp while EBFing. So, it really does vary. Paragard has a > 99% efficacy rate, so your chances of conceiving while on it are less than 1 in 100. EBF, on demand, day and night, prior to 6 mos pp with no supplementing or pacifiers and no cycle yet has an efficacy rate of > 98%. So, pair those two together, and you are in really good shape, even if you don't meet all the LAM criteria :-)

You aren't cycling yet due to bf hormones, mama, so no worries (I know, easier said than done, though!).
so far owen doesnt like the paci. he also wakes after 5-7 hours of sleep at night for a feed some times more. (and when your co sleeping and a free buffet if in your face why not?!) if i do give him a bottle i replce it with pumping and he is not getting any supplementation. i guess i relyed on my period for so many years its hard to get out of old habits.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #6
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Mama, in answer to your earlier question - Yes, when AF returned she did so quite regularly. I fell, immediately, back into a 28 day cycle.
I have friends who EBF and got their AF back 6-8 wks PP. Ugh. Also, friends whose AF returned on a very irregular cycle for several years. So it's totally individual to each mama and each pg.
I would pee on a few sticks if you are really nervous, but I think you are probably okay!
Old 09-24-2012, 11:40 PM   #7
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't get my period back until 13 months with my first two babies and 9 months with my 3rd. My first two cycles were annovulatory. It is very normal to not have a period by 4 months post partum and it doesn't mean you are pregnant especially since you have an IUD. I assume you can feel your strings and it hasn't fallen out. The chances of you being pregnant breastfeeding a 4 month old with no period yet and an IUD are extremely slim. I wouldn't worry.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 09-24-2012 at 11:43 PM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #8
Addisynsmommy
Registered Users
seller

I have the same fear!! People think I am crazy when I saw I wish AF would return lol
Addisynsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote