Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
dancingingrace
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
More questions...

I've been asking a lot of questions on here, sorry, but I really appreciate all the help! I'm trying to get prepared to nurse my LO due next month, and I wasn't a success with my first one, so I need input on things to get. Specifically, I'm wondering about the following:

1) Which disposable nursing pads are best, or are they about the same? I've heard a lot about cloth not really holding much, so I think I want to go with disposable, at least to start.

2) Which nipple cream? I had serious problems with being sore and my nipples getting chewed apart last time, which obviously came from a latch problem that I'll be watching out for this time, but I do want to be prepared anyway and have something to help with soreness. Also, I know there are a lot of boutique-y types that tend to be more expensive....I do want one that is going to be really good and work, but I don't want to spend more unnecessarily, so if there's something just as good that doesn't cost as much, I'd prefer that option.

3) How do I pick a nursing bra? I never had one before, so I am totally clueless about this. How do I know what size to get, since I will get bigger once my milk comes in, right? What brand? Anything else I should know or be looking for when it comes to nursing bras?

Anything else you think I should know, please chime in!! Thanks so much, ladies!

Advertisement

dancingingrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Re: More questions...

I would pick up a few sleep bras to hold you over until your supply regulates and you know what size you're going to need. Ones that just come in S/M/L. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re.../dp/B001D5RNQA
That's what I wish I had done instead of guessing and spending money on bras I hated/didn't fit correctly. I still wear the sleep bras around the house and at night, and DD is 17 mo.

Not much help with the nipple cream or nursing pads. I used Lansinoh brand for both of them, but I didn't use either very often as I didn't leak much, and didn't really need the cream after the first couple weeks. No complaints about them, though
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
luvsgreen
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

First off congrats on your soon coming baby! I would read as much info as you can to educate yourself as much as possible. It will make the chances of being successful higher.
1. I used baby Jonhsons disposable pads. I think they had ones for heavier absorption.
2. I loved the lansinoh, and start putting it on already, it will help save your nipples.
3. You need to go and try on lots and figure out what you like in a bra. I like underwire and a lined cup. But you may like something different.

Handmade rustic home decor ~ https://www.facebook.com/asinglesparrow
luvsgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

1) Which disposable nursing pads are best, or are they about the same? I've heard a lot about cloth not really holding much, so I think I want to go with disposable, at least to start.

I was always fine with cloth ones, but I don't really leak very much.

2) Which nipple cream? I had serious problems with being sore and my nipples getting chewed apart last time, which obviously came from a latch problem that I'll be watching out for this time, but I do want to be prepared anyway and have something to help with soreness. Also, I know there are a lot of boutique-y types that tend to be more expensive....I do want one that is going to be really good and work, but I don't want to spend more unnecessarily, so if there's something just as good that doesn't cost as much, I'd prefer that option.

I really liked the Lansinoh Lanolin. Never really needed anything else.

3) How do I pick a nursing bra? I never had one before, so I am totally clueless about this. How do I know what size to get, since I will get bigger once my milk comes in, right? What brand? Anything else I should know or be looking for when it comes to nursing bras?

So, I get a couple different kinds:
1) For soon after birth, once your milk comes in, you'll be engorged and tender. I would get on that is soft, no underwire or stiffness, and on the bigger size. Once your supply starts to regulate, I prefer the same type (almost like a nursing 'sports bra') for at home and at night. When out and about I get a bra that has the thick not quite padding cups, but no underwire. Underwires can restrict passive circulation to the breasts and give some people supply issues. As for size, I'd probably buy one or two of the soft stretchy kind in the size you are at the end of your pregnancy. Then you can go from there. There's not a good way to predict what size you will be, and it may change several times. I usually get by with 2 or 3 nursing bras per size. I've always had luck with the Motherhood Maternity bras for the more padded type, and just Target ones for the soft stretchy kind.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:36 PM   #5
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I never used disposable nursing pads, etc, so I'm no help with that. As for nipple cream...never used that either. Even in our breastfeeding class they said that rubbing your own milk on them was better than any cream. I might try coconut oil before some kind of cream.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

I leak way too much in the morning/night to wear any cloth pads I've tried. I've tried several disposable brands, lanisoh, medela, johnson, LLL and nuk and the only ones I would stay away from are the nuk ones - they really absorb very little. I don't like the medela ones because they're individually wrapped and folded, probably the ones I like best are teh johnson.

I've just used lansinoh lanolin and it works well.

As for the bras, I couldn't tell you. I think the recommendation to buy something stretchy until your size stabilizes a bit is a good one. I use mostly nursing tanks and stretchy bras.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote